Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: OT+ Removal Suggestions  (Read 1483 times)

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
OT+ Removal Suggestions
« on: June 01, 2017, 04:46:46 AM »
I've clearly found utopia with this Weber kettle club with the depth of knowledge you guys have and share.  As a consequence I've been bit by the restoration bug (in moderation!). The opening/closing damper rod of the original OT system sheered off recently so have purchased the new model replacement system (7444).

However, I'm hoping someone here can suggest how I can remove the remains of the rusted damper assembly. So far, soaking in 'miracle fluid' aka WD40 has allowed the blades to move but only when aided by a Molegrip on the but and gritted teeth! I reckon that attempting to undo the butterfly screw with a Molegrip will cause that to sheer off too. Suggestions please!

Am struggling with getting the Photobucket image to display - grrrrrrr!!

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:05:24 AM by Efkay »

Cellar2ful

Re: OT+ Removal Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 06:01:31 AM »
If your rusted ash sweep assembly is the old style with the thumb screw, this is the easiest way to remove it.  Cut the handle flush to the nut on both sides. It can be cut with a simple hack saw or a Dremel grinding wheel.   Tap the nut with a hammer and the whole assembly will drop out.  Clean up the bowl with #0000 steel wool and then install the new ash sweep (H style).
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 06:07:36 AM »
+1 to @Cellar2ful   I use a grinder.

*Hint hint, if you find yourself cutting off a handle that is still intact (for instance hasn't broke off but the rest of sweep is garbage) then keep the handle for future mods. I used a stainless one from an old grill as an excellent handle for lower vent control on my newer Jumbo Joe....

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 06:12:57 AM »
If your rusted ash sweep assembly is the old style with the thumb screw, this is the easiest way to remove it.  Cut the handle flush to the nut on both sides.

Have now managed to upload the photo! Just to clarify, would I cut between the washer and bottom of the nut?

Cellar2ful

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2017, 06:14:01 AM »
@Efkay - Seeing your picture now, just cut the handle rod flush with the nut on both sides (to the washer).  Once the rod is cut, usually 1 or 2 taps with a hammer and the entire assembly will drop through and out.  If you don't have a grinder, a hack saw will do the job in less than 5 minutes. 

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2017, 06:22:41 AM »
@Efkay cut the handle rod, not the washer or nut.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Cellar2ful

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 06:34:25 AM »

The washer and nut are two separate pieces. The rust deceivingly makes them appear to be one piece.  Once you cut the handle rod flush on both sides of the nut, it drops through the hole with a little assistance from the hammer.

Here is how you want the cut to look like. This particular kettle did not have the washer installed. 

« Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 06:35:57 AM by Cellar2ful »

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 06:53:03 AM »
@Efkay. . . . . a hack saw will do the job in less than 5 minutes.

One minute into sawing off one side and the (only) hacksaw blade broke!!! &%£@~4€!! Off to buy a new pack . . . . . .

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 07:13:15 AM »
@Efkay. . . . . a hack saw will do the job in less than 5 minutes.

One minute into sawing off one side and the (only) hacksaw blade broke!!! &%£@~4€!! Off to buy a new pack . . . . . .

Yeah, I forgot to cover the spare hack saw blade aspect............(lol)

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 07:56:07 AM »

I was able to save the handle by cutting across the hex.  That was my choice, but it worked.

Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2017, 08:08:21 AM »
Ta da!!!!   :) :) :) :)

Thanks to each and everyone of you!  See, I told you this was Weber Kettle utopia!!

Will spend the some time cleaning the bowl inside and out before mounting the newly received OT 'H' assembly.

Thanks once again from a very happy bunny!

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2017, 08:56:17 AM »
I had to do the same thing with my new red, lucky for me I found a parts kettle on offer up with good sweeps in the same style. so that's an option

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2017, 09:04:17 AM »
Nice work!  You definitely came to the right place. 

My kettle obsession began with a red OT+.   Mine is a K-code. 
One of the charcoal people.

Efkay

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2017, 10:19:39 AM »
Nice work!

Thank you (blush)

Mine is a K-code.

Mine's "L" !