Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thermometer  (Read 2472 times)

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
Re: Thermometer
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 08:10:49 AM »
I like the idea of drilling a hole but would rather not drill into my new kettle. LOL

Sent from my SM-G955U using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

If.. and that is a big if... you were to drill a hole, I would use a hole saw the size of the rubber grommet that comes standard on the WSM... Then buy a replacement grommet from Weber. That way it's sealed up when not in use.

The only worry I have would be how the grommet stood up to the higher heat cooks....

Actually I like this idea..... I am gonna try it on a crapper lid and see!

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
If you're going to drill, I would order a set of eyelets. https://www.bbqguru.com/storenav?CategoryId=3&ProductId=51

Pretty stealthy. I installed a set on a WSM I had. Here's a pic (not mine)

http://s175.photobucket.com/user/HeSmellsLikeSmoke/media/MaverickMount.jpg.html

« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 08:30:33 AM by AZ Monsoon »

armpit

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2017, 12:24:44 PM »

blksabbath

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2017, 12:39:36 PM »
I too ruined a cable, but it took a while for the perms kink to start messing up.

Drilling a kettle: put a piece of masking or painters tape over the spot.  Use a sharp pilot bit first.  Then a step bit.  Hole saw will work, but it's easier to work up from a smaller hole to what you want in my experience.  Hole saw is all or nothing.  Use a silicone grommet and you won't have to worry about high heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JordanW

• WKC Brave
    • Instagram - @bigtroublebbq
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2017, 02:55:58 PM »
I too ruined a cable, but it took a while for the perms kink to start messing up.

Drilling a kettle: put a piece of masking or painters tape over the spot.  Use a sharp pilot bit first.  Then a step bit.  Hole saw will work, but it's easier to work up from a smaller hole to what you want in my experience.  Hole saw is all or nothing.  Use a silicone grommet and you won't have to worry about high heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes you are %100 correct. I meant to say use a uni-bit or step bit. Not sure why I said hole saw. Thanks for the clarification..... crisis averted.

ECinEI

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 02:28:25 AM »
I've used both the Maverick and my new Smoke by just running the wires under the lid.  I've never damaged a probe wire but can certainly see how the wires could wear and be damaged.  I believe I've seen posts here about cutting a little slit in the edge of the bottom bowl to run the wires through. 

I will say the Smoke is a nice piece of equipment.  It makes the Maverick feel like a toy in comparison.

Copperhead

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2017, 05:28:59 AM »
Folks...this may be offensive to the purists, but I decided to hacksaw a small (1/8 inch) grove in the bowl, just under the lip (maybe 1/4 inch down the bowl) to accommodate two or three wires. No heat loss or smoke noticed. Hated to cut the Weber, but did not want to stress and replace thermo parts. Works great. Hope this solution doesn't offend anyone!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2017, 10:02:39 AM »
Folks...this may be offensive to the purists, but I decided to hacksaw a small (1/8 inch) grove in the bowl, just under the lip (maybe 1/4 inch down the bowl) to accommodate two or three wires. No heat loss or smoke noticed. Hated to cut the Weber, but did not want to stress and replace thermo parts. Works great. Hope this solution doesn't offend anyone!

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app