Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Woodard grill cart with unmarked kettle?  (Read 2505 times)

shadrack

• Happy Cooker
Woodard grill cart with unmarked kettle?
« on: May 02, 2017, 06:07:19 PM »
Hi guys first post here so I'll jump right in.

I just picked this up over the weekend.  It's one of the variations on the Woodard grill cart with an 18" kettle grill.  This has spent its fair share of time outside over the years but is in nice condition and the grill appears to have never been used.  The strange thing is, the grill is totally unmarked.  It appears to have the Weber single screw wood handles but the dampers don't say anything on them.  There is an indented groove around the bowl that helps it nest perfectly into the circle of the cart so I'm fairly confident this is the grill that came with it.  A bit of research lead me to the Smokey Joe Platinum kettle, which is a close match of the bowl and lid design but that's just a guess. 

Unlike the other Woodards I've seen, this one has a space for a slide out cutting board rather than one that sits down in the expanded metal . The original is missing so I'll have to look to see if it's a standard size or else will cut one to fit.  Other than that, I'll probably sand it down and repaint it a dark green, which appears to be the original color from what I can see under the black paint.  The cart is in excellent shape with minimal rust to be found so it should last forever with proper maintenance.  I might just set the original kettle aside since it's unused and look for another 18" to plop in there.

Anyone have an idea why this sucker is unmarked when the other versions I've seen come with a Weber branded kettle?

Mr.CPHo

• WKC Mod
Re: Woodard grill cart with unmarked kettle?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 06:23:09 PM »
Wow, helluva first post. 
Welcome.  I think those 18" Woodard carts are so cool.  Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

johnny 2 shack

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 06:33:40 PM »
whoa yea ! what a beauty ! and 18 to boot !

crowderjd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 08:05:39 PM »
I may be wrong but I think that kettle is a Sears economy kettle, made by Weber and dropped into the Woodard cart...except as I look at it again I don't see any leg sockets...that's a good mystery...congrats on the score!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:07:32 PM by crowderjd »
Chasing the impossibles: Westerner, Custom, Meat Cut!

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2017, 02:44:38 AM »
A Smokey Joe Platinum wouldn't have handles, and the intakes would be higher up on the side of the bowl. They would also mot be daisy wheel vents.

The indentation is what holds the cooking grate and is like the Sears Econo kettle previously mentioned. I agree it's strange there are no leg sockets.

Nice pick up nonetheless.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 05:13:39 AM »
Very nice! @harris92  has a couple of them.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

YardBurner

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2017, 04:33:54 PM »
The top vent looks like a replacement.
Screw and nut vs rivet.
Did Weber ever offer unbranded replacement vent wheels?

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2017, 06:31:14 PM »
Sears Economy Kettle would be my first guess, but I've had both styles of the bowls, grate tabs and molded grate holder.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-1343-sears-economy-kettle-grill-parts-c-193079_193086_193149.html

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=1343

Neither schematic shows the molded bowl, but the new 22" Wal-Mart Weber and SJ's are like that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2017, 06:43:26 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2017, 06:54:43 PM »
I may be wrong but I think that kettle is a Sears economy kettle, made by Weber and dropped into the Woodard cart...except as I look at it again I don't see any leg sockets...that's a good mystery...congrats on the score!

A Smokey Joe Platinum wouldn't have handles, and the intakes would be higher up on the side of the bowl. They would also mot be daisy wheel vents.

The indentation is what holds the cooking grate and is like the Sears Econo kettle previously mentioned. I agree it's strange there are no leg sockets.

Nice pick up nonetheless.

Sears Economy Kettle would be my first guess, but I've had both styles of the bowls, grate tabs and molded grate holder.

http://www.ereplacementparts.com/weber-1343-sears-economy-kettle-grill-parts-c-193079_193086_193149.html

https://www.weber.com/US/en/help/schematics/browse.aspx?model=1343

Neither schematic shows the molded bowl, but the new 22" Wal-Mart Weber and SJ's are like that.

What if it's a Weber, made by them, but unbranded because it was sold by Woodard?
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2017, 07:53:08 PM »
I've never seen a sears economy 18

There was also a JC Penney grill 

I did come across a kettle with a plain top vent.

Its also odd that there really is no way to catch the ash out of the bottom vents

But no leg sockets says its legit

It may have just been one version that was made but we haven't seen it before.

When did Weber go to Single Screw again? @Craig

I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2017, 08:01:07 PM »

I've never seen a sears economy 18

There was also a JC Penney grill 

I did come across a kettle with a plain top vent.

Its also odd that there really is no way to catch the ash out of the bottom vents

But no leg sockets says its legit

It may have just been one version that was made but we haven't seen it before.

When did Weber go to Single Screw again? @Craig

Middle of 1981-early 1982.

Heyjude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2017, 08:38:56 PM »
Thanks Craig.  So,was the Woodward cart that new?
The while thing seems odd at best..

Bump for this!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/off-topic/vintage-weber-on-rockford-files/msg20205/#msg20205
I don't care if you don't like my Avatar, its there for me..