Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Charcoal briquetts question  (Read 1841 times)

bigpun123

• Smokey Joe
Charcoal briquetts question
« on: April 25, 2017, 02:52:44 PM »
I've been using kbb in a chimney starter with newspaper, the problem is I live in a condo complex and the start up smoke seems to be a lot more than before. I stopped using newspaper and went with my gas assist on my performer and there is still a lot of smoke for the first 15 minutes or so. This past weekend I went to Harbor freight and bought a weed burner to light my chimney, it did work and it helped cut down the smoke but it's a little scary, it's more like a flame thrower lol.

My question is, will I get less start up smoke if I switch over to Royal Oak, or Stubbs, or Weber briquetts? Or what do you guys recommend?

I have about 6 bags left of kbb (bought this last sale), I was thinking if I used any of the above mentioned briquetts in the chimney as a start up, then once lit, pile directly on top of unlit kbb, what do you guys think?

I'm just conscious of my neighbors, sometimes I can't help it and I have to smoke them out for 10-15 minutes.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Charcoal briquetts question
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2017, 03:15:05 PM »
That's a tough one. Your idea of lighting a few and dumping on unlit will work to shorten the time you have heavy light up smoke but will draw the process out and be slightly smoking the neighbors out for longer.  Are the neighbors above, below, beside, or all of the above?  You could also move it out to a common area but that's a hassle and will still smoke out a neighbor or 2 downwind.

To directly answer the question, the few brands I've used have all smoked heavily on start up. So not sure on if there's a less smokey brand. Try a few and see what your neighbors like the smell of the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017, 03:16:52 PM by HoosierKettle »

davekkk

• WKC Brave
Re: Charcoal briquetts question
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017, 03:36:57 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat for neighbors. Had one mention a while ago that I grill so often and that they usually have to shut their windows so its made me a little more paranoid. I've started to take note of the wind direction and if its going their way I will some times use the gas grill. Would love to hear of a way to get a less smokey start though. I personally think lump is the smokiest but might be my imagination.

I looked up that weed burner thing on you tube, holy crap!

bigpun123

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »
That's a tough one. Your idea of lighting a few and dumping on unlit will work to shorten the time you have heavy light up smoke but will draw the process out and be slightly smoking the neighbors out for longer.  Are the neighbors above, below, beside, or all of the above?  You could also move it out to a common area but that's a hassle and will still smoke out a neighbor or 2 downwind.

To directly answer the question, the few brands I've used have all smoked heavily on start up. So not sure on if there's a less smokey brand. Try a few and see what your neighbors like the smell of the best.

Hi HoosierKettle,

I live in a single story unit and I have neighbors on both sides of me, the unit behind me is a two story unit/complex, so yes the neighbors are all around. I'm going to try one of the charcoal brands I mentioned, I'm leaning towards RO.

Luckily I live in a end building and my unit is rather close to the parking garage area, I could probably light there if nothing helps reduce the smokey start up.

bigpun123

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 04:03:41 PM »
I'm kind of in the same boat for neighbors. Had one mention a while ago that I grill so often and that they usually have to shut their windows so its made me a little more paranoid. I've started to take note of the wind direction and if its going their way I will some times use the gas grill. Would love to hear of a way to get a less smokey start though. I personally think lump is the smokiest but might be my imagination.

I looked up that weed burner thing on you tube, holy crap!

Lol that's how I feel, sometimes I'll use my gasser. The smoking part is fine because once dialed in it produces little smoke, it's just the start up smoke that concerns me. I'll post my results on how  RO or Weber performs on start up..

bigpun123

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
Thanks for the input.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 04:09:24 PM »
I live in a house but have neighbors very close to either side of me. It never occurred to me that they might not like my smoke as much as I do. [emoji3][emoji56][emoji41]

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 04:39:11 PM »
My neighbors have never minded the smoke. Ironically they always seem to pay me a surprise visit 8-10hrs after smelling me light the smoker.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2017, 11:11:20 AM »
I haven't encountered any charcoal that doesn't smoke heavily at some point during startup. Lump or briquette doesn't seem to matter.

I try to cook in the middle of the. Ack yard as far away from anybody's house as possible when it's warm enough out to have windows open to try and prevent smoke from blowing inside people's houses, my own included.  Is there a way you can locate the barbecue in your yard at a point maximum distance away from any of the neighbours?  At least that way you're being as considerate as you can be within the geographic limits of your property and nobody can fault you for not trying.

irv39

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 04:31:35 AM »
Try this, it doesn't smoke when lighting and burns very clean has low ash

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Char-Broil-2039-04-cu-in-Lump-Charcoal/999979266

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 05:50:09 AM »
@irv39 hit the nail on the head. Might have to switch to lump. It smokes noticeably less than briqs. Of course, that doesn't help with the remainder of kbb you have already.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 08:23:07 AM »
Coshell creates very little smoke when lighting.

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 11:43:45 PM »
Coshell creates very little smoke when lighting.

I was just going to suggest Coshell as well
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2017, 06:36:05 AM »
My neighbor on one side loves the smoke/smell. My neighbor on the other side complains. I use RO lump and briquets exclusively.

irv39's suggestion of The Charbroil lump sounds interesting, 'cept our local Lowe's does not carry it. I'd like to try it.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.