Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Just curious - anyone see their porcelain pop?  (Read 1129 times)

AZ Monsoon

• WKC Ranger
Just curious - anyone see their porcelain pop?
« on: April 14, 2017, 06:00:37 PM »
I've never seen it. Anyone ever witness the destruction of their finish? [emoji16]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Just curious - anyone see their porcelain pop?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 06:05:13 PM »
I've never noticed it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2017, 09:40:31 PM »
I have and it wasn't pretty.  I tried bending a handle to custom reshape it. The porcelain popped into tiny little shards directly towards my face and gave me a few small but sting-y cuts. I don't mess with porcelain without eye protection anymore.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2017, 04:32:36 AM »
after I drilled holes into the avocado to mount brackets. after I bolted on th brackets I kept hearing tings almost like little pebbles hitting the lid turned out where I mounted the brackets didn't like the pressure from being tightened down

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2017, 08:14:15 AM »
Yes. My RED SSP has been shedding its skin for the last couple years. I cook over galvanized auto drip pans on the deck and notice small pieces of porcelain on the pan. Which is kind of weird since I use baskets and rings to corral the fire.

This is from an RRR'd 18" that I was grilling a steak and Pork loin direct. I actually heard it pop and hit the pan. This particularly pissed me off! The largest piece of finish - it shattered into a few shards, largest on the drip pan.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2017, 10:05:55 AM »
I've never seen it. Anyone ever witness the destruction of their finish? [emoji16]

Sent from my VS985 4G using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Practically every RRR I've done has had some sort of finish damage with will cause the porcelain to crack - whether R&R'ing legs, ash sweeps to straightening handles.

Like Lawrence said, eye protection is a must.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Hell Fire Grill

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 04:21:01 AM »
One time I bear hugged a severely distorted kettle and as it went back into shape I could hear it screaming and the porcelain made a slight tick sound as it poped off. the chips probably went 2 feet.

Hit one with a hammer a few times and seen chips scurry across the floor...

Screwing parts together can do some porcelain poppin...

If you cut it with a torch it'll melt and make a hell of a globbed up mess...

Cut it with a jigsaw or reciprocating saw to witness the ultimate porcelain shattering, shard scattering, kettle cutting experience.

Running one over with a pickup truck really fucks'em up good too...so does a hole saw...

Ripping the handles off at the junk yard to save the wood will leave a mark or two...
You can't always get what you want....but if you try sometimes you get what you need