Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Is Kingsford worth the price difference above Royal Oak?  (Read 7346 times)

Lightning

• WKC Ranger
Is Kingsford worth the price difference above Royal Oak?
« on: April 12, 2017, 05:33:28 AM »
The local hardware store sells 15.4 lb bags of Kingsford briquettes for $11.99 and Royal Oak briquettes for $8.99, so the same weight of Kingsford costs 30% more than the RO.  Is there some aspect of Kingsford charcoal that's worth the 30% price premium above the Royal Oak?

To date, I've only used Royal Oak briquettes and the Maple Leaf briquettes and been happy with both when not using lump charcoal and haven't yet tried Kingsford.  At some point I'll have to buy a bag and give it a try but every time it crosses my mind, I haven't been able to get past that 30% price difference and eaten the cost to do it.  Is there something that merits the price difference that I haven't heard about?

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
Re: Is Kingsford worth the price difference above Royal Oak?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 06:38:37 AM »
Your food will not come out tasting 30% better when using Kingsford.  Nothing wrong with RO. I buy the charcoal that is most cost effective at the time.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 06:47:24 AM »
It's really a personal preference.  I grew up on Kingsford and think most other charcoals are missing that flavor I know and grew up with.  I've tried Stubbs and although I think it lights and burns just fine...it's missing the smell while cooking and taste while eating that make me love grilled food.  Chances are if you've never used it, didn't grow up on it, and have been using other briquettes for years, you won't be that impressed with kingsford, but I may be totally wrong.  I'd say give it a shot.  One bag isn't going to break the bank.  And if you don't really like it, it will end up being your backup bag of charcoal that is always sitting around half full in case of an emergency!  LOL.  I had a bag of Stubbs that sat in my SSP charcoal bin for a long time that saved me when I was out of charcoal partway through a long smoke and need to add some coals.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:08 AM »
I'm playing with a bag of the new Weber stuff now and I have nothing scientific to prove anything but just based on visual observations I am impressed and I'm trying to figure out how to buy more of it for less money.

Sure I'll likely stock up some at Home Depot when the sale hits and did grab a twin at Costco yesterday just to bridge the gap until then.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 07:21:40 AM »
Every brand of briquette runs a little different. IMO: if you're used to RO, & it's consistently cheaper, why not stick with it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2017, 07:35:46 AM »

It's really a personal preference.  I grew up on Kingsford and think most other charcoals are missing that flavor I know and grew up with.  I've tried Stubbs and although I think it lights and burns just fine...it's missing the smell while cooking and taste while eating that make me love grilled food.  Chances are if you've never used it, didn't grow up on it, and have been using other briquettes for years, you won't be that impressed with kingsford, but I may be totally wrong.  I'd say give it a shot.  One bag isn't going to break the bank.  And if you don't really like it, it will end up being your backup bag of charcoal that is always sitting around half full in case of an emergency!  LOL.  I had a bag of Stubbs that sat in my SSP charcoal bin for a long time that saved me when I was out of charcoal partway through a long smoke and need to add some coals.

I echo this sentiment.  I grew up on kingsford and nothing else I've tried gives the flavor and smell I'm used to.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2017, 07:36:22 AM »
I actually love the Royal Oak brand briquettes when I can find them around my area.  Last time I found them for $5.99 a bag I bout 12 bags of them but now I'm out and the place I bought them from don't sell them anymore. >:(  No one in my family noticed any difference between when I used Kingsford, Royal Oak or Humphrey's.  I like Humphreys's but I have to drive an hour to get it.  Strange its made in PA but closest place to get it is Homestead Maryland.  Go figure!!!!!!!! :'(
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:38:23 AM by wyd »
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Foster Dahlet

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2017, 08:59:41 AM »

No one in my family noticed any difference between when I used Kingsford, Royal Oak or...... 

This.
I like my Kettles like my coffee....strong and black.

2019 Black 26" OKP; 2015 Black 22" OKP; 2004 Black SJP; mid 70's Statesman; mid 70's Gourmet, 2017 Black CGA; 2000 Black GGA;

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2017, 09:26:08 AM »
Look at all the big Kingsford Charcoal Sales  in US. Lot different here in Canada.  Homedepot has the exact same Kingsford for $7.98.  $4.00 off this week.  Call ahead and make sure they have them as the sale is ending today or tomorrow.  My closest store have none- left but next store over has some that I will be picking up today. Pick some up today and try it out. https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/value-centre/weekly-flyer.html

I too use whatever one sale. Mostly Royal Oak  and the Maple Leaf brands.

hawgheaven

• WKC Performer
    • Hawg Heaven Smokin' BBQ
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2017, 09:58:42 AM »
I use RO lump and briqs exclusively now. When I was competing, I used Humphrey's... a long drive to obtain it. RO works well for me.
Multiple kettles and WSM's. I am not a collector, just a gatherer... and a sick bastard.

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2017, 10:36:37 AM »
I had an interesting conversation with Brian from Weber who was with @TartanAvenger today about Weber charcoal. Virtual Weber Bullet did a comparison of kingsford longburning vs Weber including a size comparison of other brands of charcoal.
http://virtualweberbullet.com/kingsford-long-burning-weber-hardwood-charcoal-burn-test-2017.html

From what I am hearing the briquettes from Weber are supposed to be easier to relite after use, larger and more natural. Also to use 2 of the wax lighter cubes when starting it in a chimney due to the larger briquettes.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

nitis

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2017, 11:46:13 AM »
I just now pulled a couple pork roasts off my performer and I snaked some of the Weber. Wasn't as smooth as with the kingsford. I think it is that those bigger pieces take a little more to get going so for snake cooks I'm going to stick to kings ford but for more grilling applications I'll likely use the weber

2 Genesis A summit Gold B a Performer a homemade cabinet pellet smoker and a big piece of pipe buried in the ground

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2017, 12:19:19 PM »
Homedepot floor manager at the time could not locate 32 bags of Kingsford on Sale, so he offers me these at $9.99 a box. Originally at $25.99 marked down to $19.99. So I took 2 boxes to try them out.

Went to other Homedepot and got some Kingsford at $4.00 off each bag also.

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2017, 12:25:05 PM »
Homedepot floor manager at the time could not locate 32 bags of Kingsford on Sale, so he offers me these at $9.99 a box. Originally at $25.99 marked down to $19.99. So I took 2 boxes to try them out.

Went to other Homedepot and got some Kingsford at $4.00 off each bag also.
$10 is a good deal for 'em.  The pieces aren't as uniform as they advertise though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
I highly encourage trying to diff types of fuel.  There is a noticeable fuel temp performance...stability and ash residue bw fuels...also a noticeable taste diff...especially when you try all natural briqs...

There was a recent thread on costco kcomp sale ...where uncle al and i compared kblue to kcomp to stubbs...

That said..i never tried royal oak  riqs..only RO lump
Grills