Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: ribolator .. how does it compare cook performance to spit rod  (Read 1245 times)

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
i like the idea of being able to rotisserie lots of meat..

BUT seeing the ribolator in action, via videos.. i question that the meat doesn't face the coals.. 360 degrees like spit rod does..

so you dont get the juices/ fat, basting the meat..

any  feedback from others on this..

i can spit 2 racks of babybacks .. that may be better than having larger capacity but not getting the full value of a rotisserie spit spin on the meat..

as i mentioned on earlier postings.. ive taken a breather but back in hardcore accessory action this season..

1 craycort 22" ci grate is coming as soon as their sale hits
Grills

tspin818

• WKC Brave
Re: ribolator .. how does it compare cook performance to spit rod
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 06:20:21 PM »
I don't know if I have ever actually used my ribolator for ribs. It is one of my go to accessories for doing chicken on the roti. Here is a link to a video of mine in action.

https://youtu.be/nw5IBnoa490

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Holy grail Red Smokey Joe

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 07:01:31 PM »
Rib-O-Lator on the Cajun Bandit 22" Kettle Conversion video shot by my friend Michael Stevenson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aULTIgBof0E

First Place Appetizer "Anything on a Skewer" 72 Teams Tree Top Yakima, WA 2010

ABT's on the ROL indirect!  It not only WINS, but it PAY$$!

I use it direct with my Drum Smokers as well as Indirect on the Pellet Poopin' WSM and Cajun Bandito's!

i like the idea of being able to rotisserie lots of meat..

BUT seeing the ribolator in action, via videos.. i question that the meat doesn't face the coals.. 360 degrees like spit rod does..

so you dont get the juices/ fat, basting the meat..

any  feedback from others on this..

i can spit 2 racks of babybacks .. that may be better than having larger capacity but not getting the full value of a rotisserie spit spin on the meat..

as i mentioned on earlier postings.. ive taken a breather but back in hardcore accessory action this season..

1 craycort 22" ci grate is coming as soon as their sale hits

Dude-If you are only using a spit rod and forks, you are missing out on a whole lot of rotisserie accessories on the market, you need to get serious - this ain't BBQ 101!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 07:17:38 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2017, 02:17:08 AM »
K...k....

Im still need to wrap my head around the ribolator not spinning the meat where you dont get 360 degrees coal exposure and juice drip action..which results in ribs getting the bacon like crisp and taste.....

Im gona have to process this is ny head more....tks for the reviews....helpful
Grills

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:24:04 AM »
K...k....

Im still need to wrap my head around the ribolator not spinning the meat where you dont get 360 degrees coal exposure and juice drip action..which results in ribs getting the bacon like crisp and taste.....

Im gona have to process this is ny head more....tks for the reviews....helpful

@toolhead
Think about it this way.....it's a Weber....covered, damper controlled cooking....if you please!!!!

Once you cap the lid over stuff, the classic (dare I say, perfect?) Coriolis Effect, or swirl of heat caused by the curvature of the lid (it's like the dang trade winds in there!!), takes care of what your concern might  be, i.e.:
the convection + radiation + swirl  takes care of cooking from all angles.....any "drip effect" will still be there,
perhaps not quite as much as a regular roti, but plenty still the same....look at Swamp's 1st pic after the video.....I'd eat THAT chicken any day & twice on Sundays.....

Oh and @swamprb  I'm gonna ask you the same question I get asked a lot....."How many people you feedin' ?"
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 11:30:22 AM »
Thanks for videos.  Looks like a great accessory ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna