Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need pics to document porcelain cracks/chips on bowl weld straps  (Read 3091 times)

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
Re: Need pics to document porcelain cracks/chips on bowl weld straps
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 07:04:18 AM »
Oh man I just experienced that this morning. Walked out back with my dogs and noticed what looked like a circular punch on the side of my 1 year old European lime 22. I touched it and a chunk of porcelain fell off! WTH? I do bank lump and run hot to cook steaks, but I thought the Webers were made to handle this?

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH

vwengguy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »
I also have a question about using the Weber baskets, I cook 90% indirect and always use the baskets because I think that keeping the direct heat OFF the kettle will keep it from chipping or cracking. Am I correct in my thinking ? Or am I just over protective of my gear? What do you guys think?

I know from using my 18" for years with-out baskets that if you don't go ape-shit with the amount of coals that it won't hurt, so I thought that with my MT using more charcoal that the baskets act like a heat dam / heat shield to protect it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kneab

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 11:45:54 AM »
Oh man I just experienced that this morning. Walked out back with my dogs and noticed what looked like a circular punch on the side of my 1 year old European lime 22. I touched it and a chunk of porcelain fell off! WTH? I do bank lump and run hot to cook steaks, but I thought the Webers were made to handle this?

I would call Weber customer service if I had a 1 year old that popped.
ISO Brown Go Anywhere

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 11:47:14 AM »
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 12:54:49 PM »
Here's what happens... When you bank the coals against the side of the grill, you have the direct heat right against the bowl. so you have direct heat transferring to the metal. If you use baskets, that little bit of air makes a big difference in how temperature is transferred to the metal and enamel.

Jeff

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 01:13:29 PM »
Colored kettle owners...You've been warned.  Use baskets or take your chances.  I've seen it happen over and over. 

Sent from my SM-G900V using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Kettle collector AND cooker!

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 01:30:44 PM »
It works on blacks as well. I blew out my original weber after three yrs.

Bertl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 01:40:27 PM »
That is the sad way how it happens. At first a spot chips of and after the metal got freed of enamell the rest goes by humid, rain and so on....
Thank you Dr. @Jeff

Bertl

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 01:48:28 PM »
You guys have scared me off from using my old red. It already has crazing all around the bowl. Baskets have a small opening in the bottom back. What will prevent this?

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 01:49:23 PM »
Disregard. I reread. I will use baskets and maybe leave a little gap

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »

This is my fourth coming SSP. Most of my cookers have dimples. I'll try to get some pics.

Disclaimer: All of mine have come with dimples. I use baskets for 90% of my cooks. Only one Pizzakettle cook in my beater econokettle.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 06:51:35 PM by TheDude »
Still need a 22” yellow

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 02:37:19 AM »
@Jeff @Troy. Just out of curiosity, why are you needing these photos.

I got a Pizza Que for someone that is using a blue MT I got for them.  I am trying to explain to them to be cautious about how they are going to bank their coals against the bowl and how high heat can chip out the paint at the grate strap welds.   Wow..that sentence sounded bad!! :)

Good advice...i bought a scratch n dent black MT just for high heat cooks ie..KP if i ever buy one again...just for this reason...all my other ssp performers are mint colored kettles...so i wouldnt high heat /bank coals on tbe ssps
Grills