Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SlowNSear charcoal baskets for the Ranch  (Read 1815 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
SlowNSear charcoal baskets for the Ranch
« on: March 16, 2017, 05:38:23 PM »
Think i found a use for that SlowNSear XL that wouldn't fit in my flat top 26 (which I no longer have). Makes a damn nice charcoal basket. Now I just need to order one more.

Looks small, but really isn't. Pretty good fit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
Re: SlowNSear charcoal baskets for the Ranch
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2017, 05:47:20 PM »
Wow. That's awesome. Looks like it was made for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 05:51:42 PM »
You know, they do make a Slow 'N Sear for the Ranch Kettle but it is still less expensive to purchase two of the SNS like you purchased for the 26" cooker. You are half way there!!

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 05:58:27 PM »
You know, they do make a Slow 'N Sear for the Ranch Kettle but it is still less expensive to purchase two of the SNS like you purchased for the 26" cooker. You are half way there!!

Thought about going with ranch version but I already had the one XL.  Plus I was thinking that since the Ranch's lid damper is centered, it might not be bad to have one on each side.

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2017, 05:50:50 AM »
Think i found a use for that SlowNSear XL that wouldn't fit in my flat top 26 (which I no longer have). Makes a damn nice charcoal basket. Now I just need to order one more.

Would you mind sending us these photos?  info@ABCbarbecue.com

I agree two SnS XLs are a great option for the rancher, maybe even better than an SnS RKE depending on what you're looking to do.  One problem with the Ranch kettle is that the charcoal grate isn't held in place.  It just sits there... and the RKE can weigh enough all loaded up that it causes one side of the charcoal grate to slide down.  It's an easy fix if you're willing to drill a hole and add a bolt to hold your grate in place, but not everyone will want to do that.

It really suprises me sometimes what you DON'T get for $1300 when you buy a Ranch Kettle.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2017, 05:53:53 AM »
Hadn't thought about the weight issue but it's a good point. My second XL is scheduled to arrive today so I'll include some pics of the two in the ranch later.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2017, 06:37:41 AM »

Would you mind sending us these photos?  info@ABCbarbecue.com

I agree two SnS XLs are a great option for the rancher, maybe even better than an SnS RKE depending on what you're looking to do.  One problem with the Ranch kettle is that the charcoal grate isn't held in place.  It just sits there... and the RKE can weigh enough all loaded up that it causes one side of the charcoal grate to slide down.  It's an easy fix if you're willing to drill a hole and add a bolt to hold your grate in place, but not everyone will want to do that.

It really suprises me sometimes what you DON'T get for $1300 when you buy a Ranch Kettle.

Could you place a counter weight on the opposite side instead of drilling?

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:40:44 AM »
Yes counter weights work too.  That's what our customer was using.  He was debating keeping the weights, buying another RKE, or drilling a hole to add a bolt to hold the grate in place.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 09:48:31 AM »
Very interesting!  I haven't loaded up on side of my coals grate yet on my RK to notice the grate slide issue, but it totally makes sense.  I'm guessing there are no bolts or grate tabs because they tend to become weak spots in a kettle and not having anything makes the kettle last longer, especially in areas that will have direct heat from coals against them.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »
I just use a brick

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2017, 02:34:53 PM »
Looks to be a great fit.

Also got my cover from The Cover Store today.

Also a nice fit.

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »
Nice.  Can you give details on the cover?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2017, 03:34:57 PM »

Nice.  Can you give details on the cover?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Sure. I ordered it from thecoverstore.com and it's item# 730.SG3. If you do a search on that number you should find it. There are a few different grades of materials and colors they offer. When I ordered it last week they were doing 30% off for green covers for Saint Patrick's day and there was a promo code for free shipping on items over $49. So for the second from the best material, I got it for $52.99 shipped. It actually ended up being 31% off (they rounded down on price) and free shipping. It's got a 7 yr warranty so I'm guessing it'll hold up pretty well and it fits great. It's got an elastic bottom so it fits nicely under the bowl of the ranch and hugs the legs. I hear they have sales pretty often, especially around any holiday. So just keep checking.