Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Cast Iron Cooking Grates  (Read 3440 times)

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
Cast Iron Cooking Grates
« on: March 12, 2017, 02:25:25 PM »

Hi,

I like the appearance of those bold grill marks on my steaks.  Can you recommend a one-piece cast iron grate to replace the factory one on my 18" Kettle?

Thanks!
HAL

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
Re: Cast Iron Cooking Grates
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
You might want to look at Grill Grates. Not cast iron but great for searing steaks and chops.

This is my 18-1/2" Weber Jumbo Joe kettle with a set of standard Grill Grates.

Nolamike

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely go with Grill Grates over cast iron; cast iron grates can be a real pain to keep clean and keep rust-free.

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2017, 01:04:57 PM »
Yeah, I'd definitely go with Grill Grates over cast iron; cast iron grates can be a real pain to keep clean and keep rust-free.

If you feel like you really need wider grill marks then, Grill Grates.

When I first started out with charcoal I was obsessed with getting cast iron grates until discovering how much maintenance they require.

Makes me really appreciate the simplicity and ease of handling of the standard Weber flip up grates.  If I really wanted to splurge I'd get the better quality stainless flip up grates but I grew out of my cast iron desire phase pretty quickly.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2017, 01:07:34 PM »
Same here Joe. The stainless grates are good enough for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

order66

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2017, 01:12:43 PM »
+1 cast iron is a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
-JDP
| 22.5 Master Touch |22.5 OTG |Pit Barrel Cooker| U-Lime SJS | Kettle Pizza| Akorn Jr. | Big Green Egg | Jumbo Joe | Blackstone Griddle | Pit Boss Classic |

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
The Charbroil universal cast iron kettle grate is a 2 piece for a 22" but the center section fits on an 18" perfectly.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2017, 06:16:38 PM »
This is the center section of the Char-Broil cast iron cooking grate in my 18" Weber Jumbo Joe grill.

Here is another option but kinda expensive.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2017, 06:54:28 PM »
I really prefer craycorts over the grill grates.
In my opinion, there's a big difference in flavor and to me that's the most important thing.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2017, 06:55:22 PM »
This is the center section of the Char-Broil cast iron cooking grate in my 18" Weber Jumbo Joe grill.

Here is another option but kinda expensive.

What is that 2nd one? That looks... kinda freaking awesome! I'd put that right in the coals!

Also: there's a page that lists all of the cast iron grates for the Weber .
« Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 07:46:38 PM by Troy »

LiquidOcelot

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2017, 07:11:31 PM »
that char grate is pretty freggin awesome. I like thar you can use it with everything.

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2017, 11:11:02 PM »
Troy, this is one of the the setups I use for competition steak cooking. I started with the Weber Jumbo Joe kettle for this task and it works a treat.

I purchased the cast iron grate from a commercial firm in California and it goes into a commercial cooker and measures about 21" long and will just fit into a standard Weber 22-1/2" kettle. I had to cut it down to fit my smaller Jumbo Joe and I also use it in several more of my grills.

You mentioned putting it right down on the coals and I do come pretty close to that with my steak cooking setup for the Weber Jumbo Joe. This might be about the finest steak cooking setup a fellow can do with a Weber kettle.

Here it is over a Slow 'N Sear in a 22-1/2" Weber kettle with the SNS pulled out and away from the side of the cooker.

As I would present for a steak contest.

WhaleinaTeardrop

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 04:00:34 AM »
I use the Napoleon Cast Iron grate and it's pretty awesome; I use it for beef, pork, sausage, burger and fatty cooks; I use a good stiff grill brush  when still hot, wipe with oil and put the lid on until the next cook.  That's the same routine I use with grates of all materials and I haven't had any rust issues whatsoever.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 06:59:12 AM »
That last pic! Awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

bbquy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2017, 05:49:51 PM »
Troy, this is one of the the setups I use for competition steak cooking. I started with the Weber Jumbo Joe kettle for this task and it works a treat.

I purchased the cast iron grate from a commercial firm in California and it goes into a commercial cooker and measures about 21" long and will just fit into a standard Weber 22-1/2" kettle. I had to cut it down to fit my smaller Jumbo Joe and I also use it in several more of my grills.

You mentioned putting it right down on the coals and I do come pretty close to that with my steak cooking setup for the Weber Jumbo Joe. This might be about the finest steak cooking setup a fellow can do with a Weber kettle.

Here it is over a Slow 'N Sear in a 22-1/2" Weber kettle with the SNS pulled out and away from the side of the cooker.

As I would present for a steak contest.

Love this! Can you provide any contact info or the name of the company?