Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First Grilling a Disappointment  (Read 3361 times)

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
First Grilling a Disappointment
« on: March 10, 2017, 11:15:37 AM »
I recently bought a Weber 18" Kettle and my first try was a marinated Ribeye.

After three grilling sessions (4 minutes, 2 minutes, and 2 minutes), it was still too rubbery and hard to cut and chew, but I managed to eat half of it.  :-\

Next, I tried a T-Bone, with no marinade or seasoning, at 4 minutes and 2 minutes. It was great on the Filet and the Strip, and it was easy to cut and chew, so being a Happy Cooker, I ate it all!  ;D

Hal, age 80.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:17:16 AM by Hal Pollner »

varekai

• WKC Ranger
Re: First Grilling a Disappointment
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 11:34:16 AM »
Welcome @Hal Pollner , we've all had it happen to us also, HELL, i've probably even had a disappointing 360something grilling event!  The way I see it, if its edible, even half, its all good! 
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 11:43:02 AM »
Well thanks for the reply, varekai!  I'm looking forward to another unmarinated, unseasoned T-Bone!

What's a 360something grilling event?

Thanks,
Hal (also a Californian)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 11:44:51 AM by Hal Pollner »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 12:31:54 PM »
If at first you don't succeed......  LOL.  I'm overdue for messing something up!  Glad you gave it another shot and found success!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 02:04:29 PM »
@Hal Pollner , (360 event) I was just saying, as much and as often as I grill, and I grill minimum 4-5 times a week, I still have times that I feel its turned out so-so. But we persevere because we like it!!  Its like golf, have a good round, you want to go back and do it again, have a bad round and you want to do it again because you KNOW you can do better...LOL
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 03:42:15 PM »

I'll accept that philosophy, varekai!

Hal

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 04:17:23 PM »
@Hal Pollner When I  cook steaks on a kettle I first set up a direct zone and an indirect zone by putting the coals on one side.  Then I cook my steak using the 3 method.  3 minutes direct then flip 3 minutes direct then move over to the no coal side for indirect cooking.  For this you need to put on the lid. 3 minutes then flip then 3 minutes and done.  This will give you (depending how thick your steak is)  about a medium rare to a medium.  Don't over load the coals.  Try it.  It works great for me. 
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 04:35:57 PM by Davescprktl »
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

SMOKE FREAK

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:32:59 PM »
And damn man...Sometimes ya just get a stubborn chunk of cow that just don't wanna turn out right no matter what you do... >:(

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 05:30:05 PM »
Keep up with it, Hal. You'll nail it, brother [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:00:59 PM »
I'd recommend getting a thermapen or another quality fast digital thermometer. In my opinion it's best to cook to temperature. Cooking to time has too many variables. Steak thickness, type of meat, internal temp of meat when going onto the grill, the fire, the coals...heck, ambient temp and even the wind.

Find a good butcher. Don't buy steaks from Albertsons(local Dallas store). Always tough. Whole Foods and central market have good meat departments.

Forgive the short answer..I'm passing a kidney stone.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:03:15 PM by MINIgrillin »
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2017, 01:28:36 AM »
The instant read thermo will make you a better cook. That's just good advice. What cut are you cooking?

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 09:35:00 AM »
@Hal Pollner, don't give up on marinated steaks, especially ribeyes.  I've cooked hundreds of 'em.  I agree with @SMOKE FREAK, sometimes it's just the cow.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 11:07:02 AM »
You cant go wrong with any of this advice,  I am a salt and pepper guy, two zone cooking for me! But I usually reverse sear, so I keep the steaks on the cool side ,  insert a digital probe and wait till internal temp is 115 or so remove steaks and cover them with a little butter and foil meanwhile open up all vents to get a good hot fire going then sear for a couple of minutes per side till I get the internal temp I want

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Love-a-Weber

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 11:08:15 AM »
I'd recommend getting a thermapen or another quality fast digital thermometer. In my opinion it's best to cook to temperature. Cooking to time has too many variables. Steak thickness, type of meat, internal temp of meat when going onto the grill, the fire, the coals...heck, ambient temp and even the wind.

Find a good butcher. Don't buy steaks from Albertsons(local Dallas store). Always tough. Whole Foods and central market have good meat departments.

Forgive the short answer..I'm passing a kidney stone.
Dude that sounds painful! hope all turns out ok!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

HiDesertHal

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 04:11:24 PM »

I guess grilling steaks ain't the simple process I hoped it would be.....George Foreman, are you standing by?

HAL