Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Vents on a 73-74 kettle  (Read 1684 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Vents on a 73-74 kettle
« on: February 08, 2017, 11:51:44 PM »
So, I've got my 73' or 74' 18" redhead downstairs and going to give her a clean up. I'm looking at the bowl vents and notice that there is only one "stop peg" on the vent and there is only one cutout in the bowl for each of these pegs to stop. Can anyone else verify this for me? How bout some wood dales? I'll have to look a younger model tomorrow to see when they changed. I know my Fleetwood has a peg on every vent hole. It's a pat pending so even older than this redhead. Here are some pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
Re: Vents on a 73-74 kettle
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 10:52:53 AM »
I believe that is correct. Just came across a post the other day that made reference to the same thing. I'll see if I can find it again.....

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 11:10:13 AM »
Yes one stop per vent , most of the time they are broken off

Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2017, 12:12:26 PM »
I'll have to double check on the Fleetwood. I believe there is 4, but I'm not positive. So, the large double tabs 75' and up have 4. Just thought it was interesting. Maybe they added some since the one was getting broke off.

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2017, 12:42:07 PM »
I'll need to check my PAT PENDING Cado and Red 22's to see if they have only one notch or four

Cellar2ful

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »

My Pat Pending 18" Copper Mist is just like yours Travis. One peg on the each bowl vent and only one of the holes notched out for the tab. Also only one vent tab for turning them.

Only one tab on the vent for turning also.

On my 18" lime, it has three pegs on each bowl vent and all three holes are notched out.

The change may have happened when Weber added a second turning tab and enlarged them.

"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 01:39:34 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, what is the purpose of the tab? If it's working like New will the vent tab catch in the notch on the bowl? If so then you'd have to release the tension on the tab to close it up right?

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 01:43:59 PM »
Forgive my ignorance, what is the purpose of the tab? If it's working like New will the vent tab catch in the notch on the bowl? If so then you'd have to release the tension on the tab to close it up right?

Without having to get down on your hands and knees, it gave you an idea of when the vent was open or closed.  Without the peg, the vent just spins and you would not have any idea when the vents were closed or open. Still required you to remember which direction turning the vent would open or close it.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 01:59:53 PM »
@Travis - My 26" Pat Pending Copper Mist has only one peg on the bowl vent and only one vent hole notched out.  So there you go.  Stop making me run back and forth checking all these dang kettles.  Some of them are not easy to get to (lol).

Not the best picture but I had to crop a older photo that was on my computer. You can see only one hole is notched at each.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 02:06:36 PM by Cellar2ful »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 02:02:12 PM »
Thank for that!

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 05:02:35 PM »
@cellar2ful Ha! Sorry for making the special trips, brother. I appreciate that!

I'm going to check my Fleetwood in the morning , but I'm sure they are the same now. It sounds like they added tabs whenever they switched over to dual large tabs.

Thanks for the help guys. Good to know.

Rob G

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2017, 08:16:34 PM »
Yep my 73 has 1 tab per vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Vents on a 73-74 kettle
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2017, 08:01:04 AM »
Not to bring back an old topic, but I'm setting up the "Pat Pending" 26r for the pretzel and looked at the bowl tabs. This one has 4 pegs along with the coinciding notches in the bowl. Interesting. Just thought I'd share.
@Cellar2ful

Cellar2ful

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2017, 11:20:19 AM »

Now that is interesting @Travis.  Might have been a design change mid year? My copper mist 26" (Misty) might have been an early year production and yours a later date with the newer design bowls and vents.