Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Colored WSM question  (Read 4689 times)

bladz

• WKC Ranger
Re: Colored WSM question
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2016, 06:12:22 PM »
I powder coated one a couple years back, but haven't cooked on it for fear of the paint turning black, or that flat color. I have a 22" WSM, or my kettle for smoking, so it's just a looker now

I posted these pics a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2016, 06:38:17 PM »
I powder coated one a couple years back, but haven't cooked on it for fear of the paint turning black, or that flat color. I have a 22" WSM, or my kettle for smoking, so it's just a looker now

I posted these pics a while back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It does look good!

My teammate has 2 Hunsaker Vortex Drum Smokers that are powdercoated. The black one is starting to fade a little bit, and the RED one is brand new, so I'll be monitoring its worthiness.

I've gone back and forth on powdercoating any of my drum smoker builds. @bladz did you sandblast the outside or just powdercoat over the porcelain finish?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

bladz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2016, 03:24:17 AM »
It's powder coated over porcelain. I could have anything that would fit in the oven, coated at my previous employer. My thinking then was if it didn't last I could just bring it in and have it redone.  Different employer, no powder coating. Blue it is. 

Maineac

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2016, 05:04:02 AM »
so it's just a looker now

And a wicked nice one indeed.  Thank you for posting this. 
Performer - Jumbo Joe - Smokey Joe Gold - Bayou Classic SS84
MAK 1 Star #184 - Bradley OBS #968,312 - Spirit E-310

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2017, 09:38:25 AM »
Thanks everyone for the mentions! Much appreciated! Oh, how I do love my blue WSM! Sadly, you won't see any more new pictures of it on the official site, as it attracts a lot of attention to a product they don't make :'( . I didn't even realize it was in the overhead shot until @Kneab posted it. I have always suggested colors would be a big hit and while it won't be on the Weber blog anytime soon, I promise it will make appearances on mine from time to time!

Cheers!
Mike

@AnotherPintPlease

I don't have a problem if you show the blue WSM off...... In fact, more please!? Great to hear from you.

AnotherPintPlease

• Smokey Joe
    • Another Pint Please
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2017, 01:46:29 PM »
Thanks everyone for the mentions! Much appreciated! Oh, how I do love my blue WSM! Sadly, you won't see any more new pictures of it on the official site, as it attracts a lot of attention to a product they don't make :'( . I didn't even realize it was in the overhead shot until @Kneab posted it. I have always suggested colors would be a big hit and while it won't be on the Weber blog anytime soon, I promise it will make appearances on mine from time to time!

Cheers!
Mike

@AnotherPintPlease

I don't have a problem if you show the blue WSM off...... In fact, more please!? Great to hear from you.

Haha! Thanks, Craig!!

Rub

• WKC Ranger
    • Swamp Boys BBQ
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2017, 04:19:03 AM »
Actually there are a few powder coated ones out there, just not porcelain coated.  Years back TVWBB had a couple powder coated 18's for a promotion detailed here:

Red

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/littleredbullet.html

TwoToneBlue

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/twotonebluebullet.html

I recall seeing pics of the Red 18" WSM from the guy that won it after using it in FBA comps and it got that kind of orange brown fade on the finish - kinda like Troy's and my RED Cajun Bandit Conversions get from repeated usage.  NOTE the price breakdown of the powder coating and mods on the links!

The 2 tone blue is alive and well in FL  8)

In the market for unicorns to complete my collection: Ambassador, Plainsman, Meat Cut, Custom, Blue 18 MBH, Green 18 MBH