Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: BBQ Dragon's Chimney of Insanity  (Read 6625 times)

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
BBQ Dragon's Chimney of Insanity
« on: November 25, 2016, 12:32:38 PM »
BBQ Dragon had started an Indiegogo campaign to fund their first production run of their new Chimney of Insanity. It came this week and I just tried it out with the BBQ Dragon. Without the BBQ Dragon, which isn't much more than a clip on fan, the Chimney isn't much different than any other Chimney. But with the fan I had hot, ashes over coals in 8 minutes.

Put a Weber lighter cube in the tube and let it burn for two minutes.

Then I put the fan in the tube which is made to fit the BBQ Dragon and let it go for another 6 minutes.

Within eight minutes of lighting I was ready to cook.  Sorry, meant to take a picture of the coals all spread out, but trust me, they were nicely ashed and prime for cooking.
Overall I think the metal is a little thinner than the Weber Chimney but it certainly seems to do what it's supposed to.  Also hoping the BBQ Dragon holds up over time.  It's got some plastic and some visible wires that have me concerned about exposure to heat.  If I have any problems, I'll be sure to post.

I'm guessing I'll cook more with charcoal now since it heats up just about as fast as my gas grill and I won't have to hear the family complain about the wait.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 01:25:28 PM by mcgolden »

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: BBQ Dragon's Chimney of Insanity
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 01:22:47 PM »
Love it.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
BBQ Dragon's Chimney of Insanity
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 05:40:58 PM »
The wait?? Thats one of the aspects of charcoal cooking that I really like.  It requires patience.  It's almost meditative...like smoking a great cigar.  It's not about consumption.  It's about the process.  Plus It gives me time to prep and drink a beer.  Oh and the smell.....mmmm.

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 05:42:47 PM by mrgoodbar67 »
-Custom SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44, and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

varekai

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 06:15:38 PM »
YEAH, what goodbar said!!!! ^^^^^^
CGA,GGA, jumbo joe, 3-18" kettles,22" blue,green,yellow and 2 reds, 1-22" lid mod for pizza, a genesis silver,2 Red SS Performers,2 26ers,1 red, 1 chief and a Ranch Kettle.

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2016, 08:39:35 PM »
I don't disagree.  But there are just those times where I don't have the time to get the charcoal going and have to settle for gas so I can get the kids fed and out the door. Now maybe this will happen less often.

Sent from my iPad using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2016, 05:03:38 PM »
I wouldn't want to leave that thing unattended. The 15 minutes it "saves" could have been used for prepping food or doing something more important inside.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2016, 07:53:11 PM »
"I don't have the time to get the charcoal going and have to settle for gas."

That is a slippery slope my friend, one that ends with "microwave" or "drive through" or "my boyfriend is making dinner."

I understand all the pushback that you are getting, believe me. But charcoal doesn't really take longer if you judge the entire cooking process.

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2016, 03:28:02 AM »
Very cool Mitch, I was considering one of these

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2016, 05:36:57 AM »
Looks like a fun device. I don't need to get my coals going quicker but I do like to play with fire. I should have enough stuff in my garage to make one of these.

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2016, 05:03:37 PM »
Come to think of it, I can remember trying to speed up the coals with my son's Fisher-Price hand-cranked leaf blower toy.

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2016, 01:56:21 PM »
 If that extra 10 minutes is that important... call for a damn pizza or go to Mikey D's.

For fuck sakes, If I light my gasser it takes about 10 minutes for it to heat up. I can toss charcoal in a chimney and have it ready in 15-20 minutes.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2016, 03:39:19 PM »
My wife seems to think it takes longer with charcoal but I think it's just that her patience wears thin now we have kids.

Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2016, 04:53:55 PM »
Call me insane but I want one.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2016, 11:28:36 AM »
Personally I don't have any issues getting a Weber Chimney blazing hot.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2016, 11:56:36 AM »
If that extra 10 minutes is that important... call for a damn pizza or go to Mikey D's.

For fuck sakes, If I light my gasser it takes about 10 minutes for it to heat up. I can toss charcoal in a chimney and have it ready in 15-20 minutes.

this.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM