Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Don't use lump  (Read 5949 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Don't use lump
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »
For the record... I don't hate lump. I love it to sear steaks, and it's fun to get going (with the popping and all). It just makes more sense to use briquettes in the WSM.
Still need a 22” yellow

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2016, 02:44:04 PM »
Time to whip out my can of.....

just sayin'!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2016, 03:08:05 PM »
That's a good one!

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2016, 03:28:03 PM »
As I said, my problem with it was probably user error. I'll try it again sometime. Does anyone use a hybrid of both?  Or would there be an occasion that would call for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2016, 04:03:44 PM »
Time to whip out my can of.....

just sayin'!
Start spraying that around the house! [emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2016, 04:17:58 PM »
As I said, my problem with it was probably user error. I'll try it again sometime. Does anyone use a hybrid of both?  Or would there be an occasion that would call for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

I sometimes mix lump and briqs. Cooking competitions we've always used KBB, because it is predictable. Its all a matter of personal preference. I learned watching and cooking with some teams that use Lazzari Mesquite lump exclusively in their 18" WSM's and they consistently did well.

What I try to do is break up the lump so it is somewhat consistent in size instead of just dumping it from the bag. People rag on various lumps but if you get a good clean fire and don't burn up un carbonized pieces you'll get good results. There is some in almost every type of lump out there, so it pays to check it. For example, here is a 40 lb bag of Lazzari - restaurant lump- notice the chunks of unburnt crap in there? Typically, I might get 25-30 lbs of usable nuggets from these.

Fire management is the key.

I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
Start spraying that around the house! [emoji23][emoji23]

Preaching to the choir!

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2016, 07:02:45 AM »
Use a mix for predictable results. I put the briquettes on the bottom and run a snake in WSM.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2016, 07:27:31 PM »
Use a mix for predictable results. I put the briquettes on the bottom and run a snake in WSM.

Headslap myself!

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
We all have our own prefrences.. that said rule of thumb is that lump will move hotter /faster than briquettes so takes a bit more aensitive vent control to control temps...i just changed to lump on my last jerky smoke and my normal vent adjustments ran the wsm much hotter faster than briquettes
Grills