Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Warming/Grilling/Smoking "Upper Deck" For 22 Inch Kettles  (Read 13499 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Warming/Grilling/Smoking "Upper Deck" For 22 Inch Kettles
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2016, 01:12:27 PM »
I'm in on the grates. Just wish I could get same price. Lol JK. You have been generous enough.
Still need a 22” yellow

blieb

• WKC Brave
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2016, 01:23:49 PM »
+1 for grates ... Sounds killer!

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Smokers:    WSM 22" | WSM 14.5"
Performers: Plum SS  | Red Fade SS

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2016, 01:41:44 PM »
In layman's terms, what would be the difference between the two grades of stainless, and what would be the cost difference? I guess I'm not sure I'd see the point in offering both.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Warming/Grilling/Smoking "Upper Deck" For 22 Inch Kettles
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2016, 02:55:38 PM »
⬆️⬆️⬆️ I'd like to understand the difference too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016, 02:57:12 PM by Travis »

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2016, 03:54:32 PM »
The Upper Deck is very well made. I'd be in on the ss flip grate and a smokey joe upper decker.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2016, 06:27:19 PM »

In layman's terms, what would be the difference between the two grades of stainless, and what would be the cost difference? I guess I'm not sure I'd see the point in offering both.

304 has a higher nickel content and should be more corrosion resistant. Good for food applications.

http://www.aksteel.com/pdf/markets_products/stainless/stainless_steel_comparator.pdf

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

Gary@315

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2016, 06:27:23 AM »
kettlebb is absolutely correct. The 304 is a higher grade SS (more nickel) and provides excellent corrosion resistance, comes at a higher cost point. 

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2016, 07:13:10 AM »
First cook on the 2nd Gen Performer I picked up last night-

Chicken thighs/ smashed red bliss potatoes using the Upper Deck for increased offset cooking space.  Zero chance of getting this much food on the cooker with just a regular grate. 
20161007_103836-01.jpeg

20161007_110404-01.jpeg
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
To Gary and others who suggested flip up SS cooking grates to be made.

To be successful for Gary, his product has to be attractive in quality and price point against his competition. Currently there are Weber 4mm SS and Grill Care SS 4mm flip up grates available.  Weber is at $50 and Grill Care at $20 on Amazon  with 5 year warranty, and here in Canada I can get one for $30 Can. I am getting one this weekend for my new Green grill. 

Here is the Grill Care SS Grate.

IMO, Gary has to make them like 5mm thick and at around  mid $40-$50 to be successful. Of course, it has to be quality product like your Upper Deck from what I can tell.  I would check out Grill Care before lunching your version.  Maybe you already know this but I wasn't sure. We all want you to be successful in your venture so that you can continue to bring out what we want. So I thought I mention this.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:10:44 AM by greenweb »

kettlebb

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2016, 05:46:01 PM »
True but you have to consider the materials and quality. I haven't seen the other grates in person but Gary's elevated grate is pretty damn sweet. If he made like flip grates out of 304 SS and they were under $50 I'd be all over it. Do you know if the Weber or other grates are 304 SS?

Crimson Performer Platinum "AH", Red MT "P", Red Mist SSP "EZ", Faded Black "A", Black OTG "DE".
Looking for: Red MBH 26"(The Aristocrat), Chestnut-coppertone (The Estate), Glen-blue (The Imperial), and The Plainsman.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2016, 06:12:46 PM »
True but you have to consider the materials and quality. I haven't seen the other grates in person but Gary's elevated grate is pretty damn sweet. If he made like flip grates out of 304 SS and they were under $50 I'd be all over it. Do you know if the Weber or other grates are 304 SS?

That is exactly my point. Without knowing the competition, in this case Grill Care, we can not say for sure if or how future Gary's SS grates will stack up or how it should be priced based on materials and quality like you said.  Maybe the Grill Care at $20 might be just as high quality in SS grade as would Gary's at $50.  Now that would not make much business sense for the seller or for buyers.

I'd be all over it too at under $50. But not so simple for Gary lunching a new product. I think Gary will bring out high quality grates but still needs to do his homework if he has not done yet.  I am all for suggesting a great product. I just hope his product is better and a good price point is all I am saying.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:07:03 AM by greenweb »

Gary@315

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2016, 06:01:14 AM »
Thanks for the input, guys.  I haven't checked out the Grill Care line, but at $20, I can't imagine SS 304 is being used.   I'm working on the details now; will keep you guys updated   

CaptJoe......awesome pics!   Thanks for posting!!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Warming/Grilling/Smoking "Upper Deck" For 22 Inch Kettles
« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2016, 08:16:18 AM »
@Gary@315. Got your product yesterday. Out of the box it looks well made for sure. Clean welds, Doesn't feel flimsy, or cheap.
It's a drizzly day today so what a better time to try it out!
20 abt's on the "Upper Deck", 2 pork steaks and 2 kielbasa links on the bottom. No way could I fit all this on a 22 grate. I would have used my 26r.
So far fella's, I'm happy. I think the size is right. Imo, if it were bigger it might be difficult to reach meat on the bottom grate. After this cook and if I have time before work,  I'm going to dial up the heat and try some wings.
I noticed about a 25-30 degrees difference between the two racks before food went on. I've got a maverick on the bottom, nestled between the proteins and an oven thermos on top. It's reading pretty even with the lid thermo.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:28:54 AM by Travis »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
@ Travis - Looks great!  8)    Just wondering if it is made from SS304 grade.

As for SS Grill Care grate I just bought is not SS 304 grade. It failed the magnet test. I still think it is better than Weber chrome plated grate.  I don't have Weber SS flip up grate to compare but my Gas Genesis SS grate pass the test.  I have edited previous post to reflect my new finding.

Love to check out and compare when Gary brings out his version.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 10:12:29 AM by greenweb »

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2016, 10:19:43 AM »
@greenweb. I just went out with a magnetic bottle opener and checked. No stick. Now, the grill is still going so I don't know if that counts. I didn't clean the tested area, but did place it on the underside and it fell off. Does that count or does it need to be cool and clean?