Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: D.C. New Guy  (Read 24170 times)

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
Re: D.C. New Guy
« Reply #105 on: July 18, 2017, 08:36:39 PM »
Here is the setup, and some pics of the coal and wood and the shoulder before and during.

Had a high temp problem. All vents closed and still climbing up to 300° 

Got it fixed and steady around 250°

More updates to come.

just need one more Weber....

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #106 on: July 19, 2017, 03:59:50 AM »
Looking good so far. Looking forward to seeing the results.
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #107 on: July 20, 2017, 03:38:55 PM »
How'd it go Glen? Where are the update pics?
Wanted: Burgundy 18"

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #108 on: July 20, 2017, 04:26:36 PM »
Update

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the shoulder once it was finished.  I couldn't keep the smoker below 270 degrees which was a slight problem.  The 10lb shoulder cooked in 11 hrs (a bit fast for me) and then I had it rest for 4 hours.  The bone fell right out once i tried to pick it up which was nice.  The lower 1/4 of the shoulder was a little dry but the rest was very moist. 

Here are the ribs prior to smoking. 3 racks of baby backs

During the cook, had a hard time keeping the temps under 250 degrees though. 

Here is the full spread once complete.  So cadillac cut ribs, pulled pork sandwiches with red carolina sauce, some rare t-bone steaks, cooked onions, potatos and corn on the cob. 

And a plated portion,  The ribs were pull off the bone which was great, but i think I smoked them too long with the sauce on them (stubbs sweet and heat sauce).  Also the end ribs seemed a bit dry for my taste.  Corn was cooked in the husk over lump coal then added butter, salt and pepper.  Steaks were seared over lump then rested; so basically rare.  Potatos were salted, peppered and garlic powder.  The onions were buttered and cooked with Famous Daves steak and poultry powder. Both potatos and onions were cooked in foil pouches.  Also had grilled watermelon but unfortunately the actual watermelon wasn't too great so.... o'well.

Pork was a hit with none left and many seconds grabbed, ribs were the close second.  About 10 Marines showed up and scarfed the food and enjoyed the bbq, so I am proud of that. I had fun and hope to do it again soon.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 04:42:15 PM by eLLWOODgGLEN »

Madpap

• WKC Brave
« Reply #109 on: July 20, 2017, 04:58:17 PM »
Very nice. What is Cadillac cut ribs?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #110 on: July 20, 2017, 05:00:52 PM »
Wow that is an amazing spread! Everything looks delicious.

WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #111 on: July 20, 2017, 06:38:41 PM »
Looks like a great spread. Congrats on pulling it all off.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2017, 01:53:05 AM »
Very nice. What is Cadillac cut ribs?

Cut close and inside to the 1st bone, skip 2nd bone then cut close to inside to the third bone. Leaving a lot of meat on the middle/second bone.

I read about it the other day.

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2017, 05:50:25 AM »
What was your startup process for the WSM?  I'm curious why you were running hot.

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2017, 06:43:27 AM »
What was your startup process for the WSM?  I'm curious why you were running hot.
Started with pictured below, mix of lump and briquets. Then added a chimney of lit briquets.

Once the temp got to 200 I started closing the vents until fully closed and the temp still went up. I'm thinking a new vent kit to replace the wavy and bent vents for a tighter fit and less air leaks.

Next time I likely won't use lump either;  I know it runs hot, but I panicked thinking one bag of briquets wasn't enough. 

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2017, 01:37:26 PM »

... Starting with pictured below, mix of lump and briquets. Then added a chimney of lit briquets ...

May not need the lump for L&S, but try this next time  ...  based on the charcoal arrangement that you show in the pic above.  Grab about 20-30 right out of the center of the pile leaving a small cone shaped hole in the un-lit remaining.  Get those 20-30 fired up pretty good (since they will shrink in size I usually add a another 10 to them ending up with 30-40) and pour'em right back into the hole from which they came.

Now monitor for 200F and throttle-back as usual.   You can take it from there :)

SJ

"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

CarrieAnn

• WKC Brave
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2017, 02:49:56 PM »
Your WSM sounds like mine. She's a lovely old gal (mine is) but she's leaky as hell. As a result, the coals get too much oxygen and they burn too quickly, and your run too hot. You need to try to eliminate those leaks. You can "bear hug" the center section trying to bring it in round. There are aftermarket door (Cajun Bandit) and gasket kits which can also help.

Those things take time and $. I am often short on both. :).

So in the interim, I help control the heat by modifying the way I fill the coal bowl. Mine will even run hot with the above mentioned "minion method" (creating a center hole where you drop in the few lot coals). So I use "the snake" with great success. You can google for a picture but what I do is to stack coal inside the ring to line the ring, but not making no a full circle, more like a C shape.  Sporadically along this ring or C, I place a few pieces of wood. Then I place about 10 fully lit coals at one end of my "snake". This will light the coals 1-3 at a time along the snake. Think of it like a fuse.

This has worked really well for me while I plan to resolve the air leak issue. I too can run with every vent closed and if I had a full bowl, I'd be up over 400 degrees.

Also on a windy day, I'll wrap my WSM with a fire blanket to prevent additional air blowing in. It goes without saying it becomes your smoking blanket. :)

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #117 on: July 25, 2017, 05:33:16 AM »
I do my startup like SmokenJoe. 20-30 coals taken from the center of the pile and lit. Once fully lit, put them back in the center.  I've found if you start with too many lit coals it's hard to dial back.

Good luck!

eLLWOODgGLEN

• WKC Brave
« Reply #118 on: July 25, 2017, 08:17:03 PM »
I'm sorry to bring this to everyone's attention, but some things should be known.

We have an enabler in the group.

Those who have my number in this club know I am working on thinning the herd.... next thing I know I have a Craigslist posting sent to me....

Ugh, I love this grill!

It was advertised as a 22, but I'm not complaining about this 18.  I cleaned it up as swapped parts from my midget 18"

Well, keep it up enablers.... Weberitis is tough.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

[attachment deleted by admin]

Filibuster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #119 on: July 26, 2017, 04:44:24 AM »
   Thought that was an 18" couldn't really tell from the two pix they showed, lovely color but I couldnt get past those gangly giraffe taco handles. Aside from the charcoal rails what other accessories came with it.
   "Thin the herd" Ha yeah right all you're doing is feeding the habit, which two or three would go overboard. By the way glad you got it.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

Radio station WEFUNK 50,000 kilowatts of PFUNK power.