Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pluses and Minuses of Each Generation Performer (totally subjective)  (Read 4946 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Obviously these are only my observations.  I'm sure what may or may not be a bother or like to me may not apply to others.  I'd be curious to see what others would take away or add to this list.

Gen 1
Plus: Stainless Table, 5 gal gas assist tank for longer/cheaper fuel, Classic design, better location for grate holder
Minus: Things need to be moved off the table to access the Charcoal/Storage Bin,  5 gal tank needs to be updated to accept propane, Lid Bale Sets Cover Partially Covering Cooking Area, More Prone to rusting at frame connections/starnuts

Gen 2
Plus: The Black Frame, Tilt Out Charcoal/Storage Bin
Minus: Plastic Table, Lid Bale Sets Cover Partially Covering Cooking Area, Recessed Utensil Hooks, less convenient location for the grate holder 

Gen 3
Plus: Tilt Out Charcoal/Storage Bin
Minus: Grey Frame, Plastic Table, Lid Bale Sets Cover Partially Covering Cooking Area,less convenient location for the grate holder

Gen 4
Plus: Tilt Out Storage Bin, Lid Bale Sets Lid At 90 degree angle, METAL Table
Minus:Grey Frame,less convenient location for the grate holder

I'm ambivalent about the Gourmet cooking system.  When I first started charcoal cooking I was all about getting cast iron grates.  After owning both, I've come to appreciate the simplicity of the hinged Weber grate that comes on and off the grill in one piece and is light enough that I can move it with a set of tongs.

Many people talk about the height of the stainless Performer being an issue.  I'm 6 foot tall and cook on mine 4-5 days a week and it's a non issue to me.

I think while the 3rd/4th generation utensil hooks are better than the second, that they are still a little too fat as far as being able to hook things on.  if they were a little thinner they would be more useful IMO.

My ideal FrankenPerformer out of colors that had been produced would be a second Generation black frame with a Sage Green Bowl and the new metal table.  If any color was an option it would be a Glen Blue.

What would your ideal Franken performer consist of from stock performer parts?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 02:58:18 AM by captjoe06 »
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

DarrenC

• WKC Brave
Re: Pluses and Minuses of Each Generation Performer (totally subjective)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 06:46:28 AM »
I have eliminated the need for a performer by using a stainless rolling cart I rescued from the dumpster of a dental clinic which serves as both my counter/storage area plus a waist-high cooking platform when I'm using the hibachi.  If my space allowed for a bigger more permanent performer-like structure I would probably build something in a cedar cabinet  and have a fabricator cut a perfect hole in a 30" x 60" stainless worktop from the kitchen supply outlet.  Another great option would be to lay up a base with brick to match the landscaping and pour a custom concrete top.
"There are a great many things one can learn to do without actually doing them - Grilling is not one of them" - Alton Brown

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »
The SS ones are too short.
The latch for the access panel really screws up the functionality of the work surface
the old ash buckets were more difficult to remove/attach for dumping ash
the bar that holds on the ash bucket/ring sits in the ash path and is prone to rusting out

56MPG

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 10:29:49 AM »
Gen 1 Plus: Grate hanger on right side of base - easy reach.
Gen 2/3/4 Minus: Grate hanger (slot) on back of base = walk around.
Gen 1 Plus: You can add more SS tool hooks, and place them where you like.
Gen 1 Plus: One more excuse to use a @zavod44 handle. (On the flip-up door.)
Gen 1 Plus: (maybe Gen 2?) I like the old style thermo in the handle. I rotate the dial so my target temp is at 12:00 - easy to see at a glance if I'm in the zone - even from a long distance. I do the same thing with the old Genesis grills.
Retired

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 10:32:40 AM »
@Troy - I'm short, so I like the lower stance of the Gen 1.  That is a plus for me!

@56MPG -  Never thought about rotating my thermo like you have suggest.  That is a great idea!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

eyevandy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 10:42:45 AM »
I think the GBS is a downside of new Performers. If you want it it's easy enough to add but for everyday grilling it's nice to have the one solid piece that can hang on the back of the performer table. I don't even really like having hinges on it. If the GBS was all I had I'd be really sick of that cutout.

One plus of the Gen 4 is that the table is magnetic. I have a temp guide magnet on mine, and I know at least the BBQ Guru has a stand with a magnetic base.

I don't think there are many features of the old performers I'd want back. Certainly not the charcoal door in the table. The stainless is cool looking but I'd miss the magnet ability. I think the Gen4 is when they finally worked out all the kinks. The only complaint I have with my Gen4 is that there's not really enough storage space for the basic stuff you need.

TexasOnion

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 11:19:33 AM »
the SS performer is prone to rust at welds and bolted joints and under the SS /// better design of the bent tubing eliminated the main rust issues

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 11:40:27 AM »
I don't have an ss, but really like the looks of them. I wouldn't care to have to move things to get into the storage bin though. I use the bin for everything but charcoal and just keep it open for the cook. I have a 3rd generation and love it. Even if cooking on another kettle I use the performers table and have the bin open. I agree on the plastic table though. Hard to keep clean, even covered, and I really would like to upgrade to the metal table. It's just slick looking.

Hands down best performer I've ever seen though is WNC's blacked out carbon fiber performer. That sucker is cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 01:08:45 PM »
I had a gen 2 used it for a few months,  now have a ss,  I don't really care for it at all to the point I don't use it as much.  Not as much usable work surface on table,  plus if you have to get charcoal or relight the grill you gotta move all your sh,,  stuff somewhere else.  ( I keep my performer next to my wsm so I have a table for thermometer,  food,  etc) I am not tall by any means but I hate bending down to the shorter ss grill.  If there's one thing I love about the gen 1 it would be the grate holder!  It's in the perfect spot and much easier than the newer recessed version.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

haeffb

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 03:49:33 PM »
@56MPG -  Never thought about rotating my thermo like you have suggest.  That is a great idea!!!!

Ditto. That is brilliant.

Don_

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 08:33:50 PM »
I think the GBS is a downside of new Performers. If you want it it's easy enough to add but for everyday grilling it's nice to have the one solid piece that can hang on the back of the performer table. I don't even really like having hinges on it. If the GBS was all I had I'd be really sick of that cutout.
@eyevandy ... I hated the always escaping GBS center section at first...but...
I've had good luck when I flip open one of the charcoal access hinged grate sections of the GBS grate to hang it up without the center section falling out. I just flip the section that I've decided is going to be the top when hung up, before I remove it from the kettle. It helps to pin the center in place. It'll still pop out if I bump it, but at least it takes a little force to do it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 08:36:17 PM by Don_ »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 05:08:39 PM »

Hands down best performer I've ever seen though is WNC's blacked out carbon fiber performer. That sucker is cool!

Thanks man!
Credit where it's due though, I totally stole the design/idea from the master Matt @SixZeroFour

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 06:47:59 PM »
Personally, while there are a lot of grate perfs out there, I'm partial to SSPs, and, in particular, @Winz 's Bisbee. 

Bisbee isn't really an SSP though...

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 06:42:37 AM »
Personally, while there are a lot of grate perfs out there, I'm partial to SSPs, and, in particular, @Winz 's Bisbee. 

Thank you!   :)

The gen 1 performer will always be a personal favorite.  It was such a game changer when introduced in 1990.  Each successive generation of performers have introduced new features - some good (height), some not so good (plastic tables).  I have to say, as a long time fan of the Performer model, Weber really got it right with Gen 4.  By combining all of the improvements of previous models, and going back to a hammer tone metal table, the Gen 4 is probably the best all around model in my book.

For those of you who are new or have not read it, a brief history of Performers is here:  [size=78%]http://weberkettleclub.com/grills/weber-performer-history/[/size]

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 07:14:04 AM »
Everyone has their personal favorites, I have owned the Gen1, 2 and 3 performers.  My personal favorite is the Gen2, I like the size and the look of the Gen2, put a new metal table on it and this is the icing on the cake.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"