Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Thoughts on the whole GBS system.  (Read 3465 times)

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Thoughts on the whole GBS system.
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 07:59:47 PM »
Sorry, but sear grate aside... I can do everything else on the stove. Every thing else, is cooking on the kettle, to cook on the kettle. Not that I'm against that... It's just not necessary.
Still need a 22” yellow

JDann24

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »
Sorry, but sear grate aside... I can do everything else on the stove. Every thing else, is cooking on the kettle, to cook on the kettle. Not that I'm against that... It's just not necessary.

Maybe so, but using my wok is fun. It gets really hot, much hotter than my stove. The main reason I bought it was to have another reason to use my kettle on weeknights.
Looking for colored 18's and SJ's.

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2016, 08:06:34 PM »
I do love showing friends and family, that anything can be cooked on a Weber.
Still need a 22” yellow

DonoBBQ

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2016, 08:13:54 PM »
Thanks everyon,  iI think I'llpick  up  the sear grate version and see how  it goes.  It wwould benice  tomake beer can chicken and still be aable to cook other stuff on  the grill.
Too many grills and too little time! Looking for a  BLUE GENESIS GASSER! Will pay a bounty!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2016, 09:10:41 PM »
Sear grate + vortex FTW!

Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

eyevandy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 09:54:00 AM »
There are only a few that don't seem really gimmicky to me. I have the Korean BBQ now, have used it once and I really liked how it worked and felt like I got some unique flavor with that cooking method. I have used the sear grate once and it's OK. I don't know why the holes are so huge. My steaks got like 2 marks per steak. If they redesigned it with straight bars closer together I would ditch the old one.

I don't agree with the complaints about the size. The hole is 12" so that leaves a 5" strip around it. That is really narrow. But they're trying to keep part of your grill surface available on a 22.5. Any less room around the insert and you might as well not have the space there, you could just go full cast-iron. The Korean dome is probably not big enough to cook for a big party in a timely fashion but any bigger and it'd kill the utility of the rest of the system IMO. If you're serving as you go, then there's no problem.

I wish all of them were just cast iron rather than porcelain coated.

I think the griddle sounds really cool. I'd be interested to try a hybrid high-heat smash burger / grilled burger hybrid.

The hole seems perfect for a wok but I would just use a regular wok on it.

Everything else seems to only make sense for a gasser (ebelskiver, some of those EU-only ones) or are just gimmicks to expand the product line and would work better as a standalone pan like TheDude said.

TD

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2016, 07:24:57 PM »
Nice for a dedicated grill maybe. It aint the one to take on the road. Center falls out so it is extra work to handle. I like the way the straight bars on the standard grate brush clean.

Cellar2ful

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2016, 08:43:46 PM »
Nice for a dedicated grill maybe.

That is exactly the set up I have. Two kettles set up for different cooking techniques.   One kettle has the GBS with the sear grate for cooking steaks, hamburgers, pork chops, salmon and halibut. The other kettle has the lighter constructed standard grate with flip ups for longer cooking. It is used for chicken pieces, pork loins, ribs,roasts,whole chickens and turkeys. It will also be used for rotisserie use now that I have scored one on CL.  I went to the two kettle system because the searing grate is heavy, greasy and a pain to keep trying to remove from the grate.  Figured I have 12 kettles, why not use more than one.
"Chasing Classic Kettles"

kinger905

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2016, 06:27:56 PM »
The wok I would definitely use,  I keep looking at the griddle but I'm on the fence.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2016, 07:37:34 PM »
The wok I would definitely use,  I keep looking at the griddle but I'm on the fence.

I actually really like the griddle but I don't use it on the gbs hole. It provides a nice searing surface and is lighter weight than the same diameter cast iron skillet. With that said, I still wouldn't pay full price for it.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791