Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Briquettes or Lump  (Read 7143 times)

WNC

• WKC Performer
Re: Briquettes or Lump
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 04:44:42 PM »
I was all lump all the time for years, but got fed up with the inconsistencies in bags. I've moved to Stubbs or coshell briquettes just for the consistency.

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2016, 05:39:11 PM »
@Troy, it's hard to find Coshell in Kansas City.  Looks like a 18 lb bag on Amazon is running about $33.00.  What do you normally pay for it? I found several small bags at a local surplus store.  I did like it,  but it was only in stock the one time.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

Bbqmiller

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2016, 06:16:27 PM »
Use a mix of lump and briquettes. Lump is frontier and wicked good. Briquettes are a mix of trader joes (rancher) or the Royal oak natural ones. The Royal oak can be ordered from do it best and delivered to a store near you. They are really good. I have been having good luck with the TJ's ones too the last couple of years.

Here is the Royal oak ones

$23 for 40 lb bag

https://www.doitbest.com/products/royal-oak-chefs-select-hardwood-charcoal-briquets

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

fljoemon

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2016, 06:39:09 PM »
+1 on the RO Chefs Select. They will ship it to the nearest dealer for free. Great price on an amazing briquet.

Wahoo95

• WKC Brave
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2016, 06:45:49 PM »
@Troy, it's hard to find Coshell in Kansas City.  Looks like a 18 lb bag on Amazon is running about $33.00.  What do you normally pay for it? I found several small bags at a local surplus store.  I did like it,  but it was only in stock the one time.
Last year this time it was $7.88  bag at Lowes

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2016, 06:49:55 PM »
$9 per bag at trader joes

I bought 30 bags when it was on sale at lowes

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2016, 01:52:23 PM »
I have been buying RO Lump and ROCS(Royal Oak Chef's Select) Briquettes. I like them both.
As has been posted, The ROCS briquettes are tricky to come by, but well worth it. Do it Best hardware has free shipping to the store. When buying lump I like to gently tip the bags back and forth, and choose the ones with less tiny pieces rattling around.

$0.02
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

BobG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2016, 07:10:52 AM »
Lump all the way. Gets hotter and the pieces burn longer. I use Lazzari lump charcoal.

Briquettes are useful sometimes though. I use them under my pizza stone because it is easier to get them in a circle once lit

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2016, 08:32:51 AM »
Briqs when smoking
Lump when grilling

(although right now I'm out of lump)

I generally buy whatever charcoal is on sale and buy large amounts when it is on super sale.  This year I'm averaging .25 per lb of briquettes.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Lumpy Coal

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2016, 01:10:34 PM »
I use lump. I tried briquettes didn't like the ash or dirty smoke but to be fair I used kbb and I do believe there are much better choices.  I was using Royal Oak lump and recently switched to Kamado Joe lump, the difference is huge.  KJ is way bigger and doesn't have rocks and metal in the bag plus close to the same price per pound.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2016, 01:15:00 PM »
Just picked up a large bag of ro lump for 10 bucks. Never used lump before so figured I'd give it a whirl. No cook planned as of now. Any suggestions for a first time lump cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Weber Kettle Club mobile app

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #26 on: December 27, 2016, 01:45:18 PM »
Just picked up a large bag of ro lump for 10 bucks. Never used lump before so figured I'd give it a whirl. No cook planned as of now. Any suggestions for a first time lump cook?

Your next cook.  :)

Lump is the better fuel. Smoking, steaking, burgering, birding. Every time I use lump after cooking w/  even the "clean" (Stubbs, Trader Joe's etc) briqs, I'm reminded of how quicker, easier, more efficient and better tasting lump is, all w/ a ton less ash to deal with.

On Fri I did a shoulder on the WSM and ran ~260, on Sun I did the Xmas turkey on the WSM. At least half of the fuel from the pork was still good and I didn't need to deal w/ the ash. I ran 320 for the bird.

Imo, you can get your meat on quicker w/ lump.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 01:59:19 PM by charred »
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Vwbuggin64

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2016, 02:02:31 PM »
I was all lump all the time for years, but got fed up with the inconsistencies in bags. I've moved to Stubbs or coshell briquettes just for the consistency.

What he said. These are always in my rotation and are perfect for cooking.
Rollin coal

22" 81 B (Faded Black), 22" 86 H (Black),91 N SJ (black), 18" 65 (Red), 12 AU Tostito SJ , 22" CU (Copper), 22” (Brown)Happy Cooker, Q2000 Charcoal, Weber Spirit, 22in Yellow, 18"WSM, Happy cooker SJ

HoosierKettle

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #28 on: December 27, 2016, 02:40:39 PM »
I'm fairly certain I won't abandon briq's. But it will be nice to finally give it a try and see if it can find a niche for some of my cooks.

greenweb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: December 27, 2016, 02:42:54 PM »
We don't have the type of big sale on charcoals like you guys have.  I will pick up whatever on sale. Usually have more briquettes than lump charcoals at any given time.  I try to stick to RO and Maple Leaf brands here.  Use exclusively briquettes for smoking but one or the other or mixed for other cooks depending on what I have left or feel like using at the time.