Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: SSP Gas Assist Troubles  (Read 2205 times)

BobG

• Smokey Joe
SSP Gas Assist Troubles
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:29:34 PM »
I recently picked up a EZ code SS Performer with gas assist. It is in amazing condition and everything looks great. The one problem is that I cannot get the gas assist to ignite using the button on the control panel. When I turn on the propane, I can light it using a lighter, and I get a nice, strong flame, so I know that the gas is flowing through the tube just fine. The trouble is getting the igniter to spark.

I am considering replacing the whole ignition system, but have read in many forums that it is often a quick fix and simply involves cleaning the spark area.
All of the wires are intact and everything seems to be in place. I tried removing the whole system and blowing through the tube to get ash and crud out of it, but that didn't work, so I'm wondering what the certified method of cleaning it is so that I can get the best chance of a spark to light the gas.

Thanks!

« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:34:51 PM by BobG »

greenweb

• WKC Performer
Re: SSP Gas Assist Troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 10:14:11 PM »
Gas flow fine- as you say, nothing plugged or problem with regulator.

I would check to make sure the igniter  wires are attached correctly. Check to make sure they are not reversed.  White and black wires go certain way.

Not sure about cleaning the igniter points.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:17:26 PM by greenweb »

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 05:30:48 AM »
Make sure your igniter electrode is clean. A quick swipe on medium fine sandpaper will remove the carbon buildup on the tip. Once you do that you can test the igniter outside of the kettle to make sure it works.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

OGlenn

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:12:20 AM »
^^^ +1 with Gummi on the fix. As an aside, that is the best looking stainless steel I've ever seen on a SSP!
Uncommon sense seeker

BobG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 08:33:38 AM »
Hi @pbe gummi bear thanks for the tip. I bet that is probably the problem if it's not totally shot. What does the electrode look like and how do I access it? I am new to all of this and don't want to mess anything up!

Thanks for the help!

ClubChapin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 09:34:35 AM »
I find that often I need to clean the orifice at the end of the gas hose. That really helps the performance of the gas system.

Also, I find adjusting the flow of gas at the output of the reg can help with lighting. Too low or to high a pressure and it doesn't light as well. This is not likely your issue as it affects match lighting too.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 09:53:26 AM »
Hi @pbe gummi bear thanks for the tip. I bet that is probably the problem if it's not totally shot. What does the electrode look like and how do I access it? I am new to all of this and don't want to mess anything up!

Thanks for the help!

The electrode is the little metal wire tip that sticks out of the white ceramic body. Like this one on the right.

You'll see it as the little white stick that's attached to burner. It also has the wires going to it. The igniter on the performer is held onto the performer burner tube via a small Phillips head screw. They strip easily so be careful removing it. Remove it and scrape the corrosion off. It doesn't need much.

Oh and while you are down there make sure you are getting a good ground to the black wire/eyelet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2016, 09:55:14 AM by pbe gummi bear »
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 09:57:21 AM »
Remive the ignitor assembly from frame n burner tube...dont lose the little screw.

100 grit sandpaper scrub the ignitor contacts by the spark area. Clean the spark tip...and all the metal contact areas by the spark tip area...
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Ive cleaned and succussfully lit all ignitors which werent working with the aforementioned tip.
Grills

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 02:24:04 AM »
The first Performer I picked up off CraigsListdid not light, I pushed the wires on the clips and as it turns out that's all it needed.  Started right up after that.
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

magonzo

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 02:22:26 PM »
I had a brand new burner/igniter and it would not light.  I looked in the tube as I pressed the button and you could see a spark, but it was small. I loosened the retaining screw and backed the igniter out about an eighth of an inch. Worked like a champ. There was not enough of an air gap to light the propane.
Rescued SSP Red, OTS, Jumbo Joe, Genesis Silver B, Weber Q, GnGo Anywhere

BobG

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 07:16:26 AM »
@pbe gummi bear Thanks for the tip. I tried that and cleaned everything off. The igniter sparks (i electrocuted my self once or twice before grabbing a pair of pliers to hold it together for the test) but it still won't spark the gas!!

Even when i hold the spark at the very bottom of the tube when the gas is on it doesn't work. However, it can still be lit with a lighter inside the kettle.

When I try and light it outside the kettle with the lighter or the electrode, it creates a flame that flows out of the hole where the electrode would usually go, but the flame does not continue down to the charcoal area. This makes me think there must be an obstruction to the left of the igniter electrode--if that makes any sense.

Anyone have any tips on cleaning out the gas tube? Or what might be causing the flame blockage? I am really stumped as the gas is still flowing through the tube and works like a charm when lit with a lighter from inside the kettle.

Thanks!

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
Use a shish kabob stick or similar poking device.

If the ignitor is shocking you then it's "working". Check the small eye terminal for corrosion between it and the body of the ignitor. There may be a high resistance there that's not there when testing out of the system. Actually..use some light sandpaper to clean up all contact points on the tube, ignitor body, wiring. Perhaps shock yourself a few more times to evaluate the level of zap on a scale of 1-10
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.