Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Kettle/Performer Charcoal Management  (Read 4050 times)

G19

• WKC Brave
Kettle/Performer Charcoal Management
« on: May 03, 2016, 07:27:38 PM »
Would like to hear how you folks handle your Charcoal management in your 22" Kettles/Performers and 26" Kettles. 

Do you use the Weber provided charcoal baskets and if so how do you arrange both in the center or both spaced out under the flip grates

Do you use a Vortex or Slow N Sear?  On the Slow N Sear do you use on all your cooks burgers to butts?

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
Re: Kettle/Performer Charcoal Management
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »
Any of the above. (Well, almost. I don't have a SnS...yet!)
I use different arrangements and accessories for different needs.
Here is a good place to start.

A bunch of black kettles
-JC

huntergreen

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 05:37:32 AM »
i always use the baskets under the flip up portion.

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 05:56:39 AM »
90% of the time I use the 50/50 indirect/direct method or e 2 zone fire, as illustrated by jcnaz's chart above. Only difference is I use is the two sided, indirect with baskets for the roti cooks. The indirect/direct pile in the center works very well for wings, and I use baskets for that as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 06:36:36 AM »
I have a Performer and use the indirect method 90% of the time , then i can use the concentration center for searing steaks etc.  and split with meat in center to cook from both sides at once like for fish, or turkey.

What ever you use enjoy the process and of course dinner.

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 06:49:15 AM »
I almost always use the slow n sear lately.  When cooking 4 burgers or boneless skinless breasts, I still use it.  If you were going to cook more than 5 items of that nature, probably have to go to  indirect/direct 50/50 to get enough area for searing that many items.

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 07:25:03 AM »
When using the indirect/direct 50/50 method are you just stacking the coals to the side or in some side of a basket to keep the coal from being right on the bowl side?  If I don't purchase a SNS right away this is how I am planning to go.  Was also thinking of the coals on the side of the lid holder so you're not reaching across the hot coals. 

G19

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 07:26:03 AM »
I almost always use the slow n sear lately.  When cooking 4 burgers or boneless skinless breasts, I still use it.  If you were going to cook more than 5 items of that nature, probably have to go to  indirect/direct 50/50 to get enough area for searing that many items.
@brokenappletree when you are cooking fast cooks like burgers and using the SNS do you still fill the water?

brokenappletree

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 08:14:02 AM »
50/50, stack up to but try to keep the coals off the side.

No water on fast cooks.  No water on hot cooks (whole chicken, wings, thick bone in pork chops...).  Only used water on low n slow (ribs, butts...).

I also close all the vents when I'm done with my fast or hot cooks and I'm usually able to same coal for next use.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2016, 08:37:36 AM »
For most of my cooks it's a full chimney on one side , but not stacked against the bowl .
Like this

I like this set up because I'm almost always doing multiple items at the same time and it gives a seer zone a safe zone and a smoke zone
If I'm just doing meat I use the baskets or pile coals on both sides

No matter what I'm cooking I always leave a safe zone and I'd likely never use the " direct all " set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2016, 10:15:20 AM »
I don't own an SNS but would love to have one. I use my trusty bootleg Vortex that I made out of  a 5 quart mixing bowl quite often. It holds exactly one chimney full of coals. I've been experimenting with it doing low and slow with good results. I do own the baskets but rarely use them on the 22. I use them mostly with my 18's, one in each.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:41:52 PM by guitarfish »
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2016, 11:26:03 AM »
I use a home made basket 12 in in diameter combined with the Gourmet grill grate.  It works great.

Sometimes I use the baskets right under the flip-up portion.

I rarely dump the coals in the middle without the basket or bank them.
-Custom SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44, and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2016, 01:31:52 PM »
Interesting, what'd you use for the core of that, mrgoodbar67?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

70monte

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2016, 03:58:49 PM »
I have mostly used the weber charcoal baskets in the past but have recently purchased the SNS and the Vortex.  I have not tried out the SNS yet but have used the Vortex with pretty good results. 

I usually use the indirect/direct 50/50 method when I do set up the coals.

Wayne

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2016, 08:05:36 PM »
I love my baskets. If I'm not using a charcoal fuse, I'm using the baskets configured as "indirect, two-sided" from jcnaz's post. Chicken, burgers, brats--they all start in the middle, and end over the baskets.