Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Using whole cooking grate with charcoal snake/fuse this weekend  (Read 6287 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Using whole cooking grate with charcoal snake/fuse this weekend
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2016, 07:01:03 PM »
That's really cool.

Wondering ... what would happen if you made another, but with a smaller center hole. The size rectangle for a gasser's #6415 drip pan (5 x 7 1/2") Or smaller! And a steeper slope/more gap on the sides ... more airflow ... used not for smoking but for a large indirect/infrared cook surface.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mrgoodbar67

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2016, 09:17:45 PM »
I'm in on the ground floor bro!!!!
-Custon SS 1998 Performer- with mods inspired by Idahawk, Winz, Zavod44 and a bunch of you here.
- Jumbo Joe with smoker mods

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 06:35:56 AM »
Previous attempt(s) at center sloping metal didn't balance as well but you did Round, SS & even added offsets. Bravo
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2016, 07:25:09 PM »
Wondering ... what would happen if you made another, but with a smaller center hole. The size rectangle for a gasser's #6415 drip pan (5 x 7 1/2") Or smaller! And a steeper slope/more gap on the sides ... more airflow ... used not for smoking but for a large indirect/infrared cook surface.

As far as having a smaller hole in the center--that is exactly what I should have done. The hole in this plate was based on a lasagna pan, because that's what I always used under pork shoulders. It didn't occur to me until after I had cut the hole that I should have based it on something smaller, since the plate funnels drippings into the pan. Using such a big pan is only necessary without the plate. So...next time.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean as far as having more airflow by steepening the slope. Having an air gap around the perimeter, yes--but if you want to cook infrared, you can just dump a whole chimney of charcoal in place of the fuse, toss the plate on, and the hole in the center would allow for plenty of airflow to maintain a hot fire. :)

Start manufacturing and I'll take one.

That's a possibility.

Cool idea and great execution. Can you explain how you accomplished the slope to the drip pan?

A metal brake to make two bends, with the bends perpendicular to each other, crossing in the center of the plate. If that makes sense. Then flattened in a press to help smooth it back out. The slope is around a 1/4" drop from the perimeter to the center. Actually, that was my goal. I think it's close enough.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2016, 10:27:09 PM »
that's pretty damned cool!
I'm really intrigued :)

Metal Mike

• WKC Ranger
    • The Best Podcast in the Universe
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2016, 06:44:13 AM »
I might have added notches (or bends) below the handles (or flanking the offsets) on the grate, ventilation and removal assist as well

"makes sense" & thanks for the detail.
...BOBBING FOR COALS IN MY KETTLE

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2016, 04:10:13 PM »

As far as having a smaller hole in the center--that is exactly what I should have done. The hole in this plate was based on a lasagna pan, because that's what I always used under pork shoulders. It didn't occur to me until after I had cut the hole that I should have based it on something smaller, since the plate funnels drippings into the pan. Using such a big pan is only necessary without the plate. So...next time.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean as far as having more airflow by steepening the slope. Having an air gap around the perimeter, yes--but if you want to cook infrared, you can just dump a whole chimney of charcoal in place of the fuse, toss the plate on, and the hole in the center would allow for plenty of airflow to maintain a hot fire. :)

Start manufacturing and I'll take one.

That's a possibility.

Cool idea and great execution. Can you explain how you accomplished the slope to the drip pan?

A metal brake to make two bends, with the bends perpendicular to each other, crossing in the center of the plate. If that makes sense. Then flattened in a press to help smooth it back out. The slope is around a 1/4" drop from the perimeter to the center. Actually, that was my goal. I think it's close enough.

I don't quite know what I meant, either. :)

Grilling = higher temps and more airflow, so ... It seemed the gap at the permitter was small, or you thought it was small? In my mind's eye, grilling something might produce more grease than smoking. With a steeper slope there would be less chance of it catching fire, with grease "running faster" down to the exit. Or maybe it's all irrelevant.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2016, 06:29:56 PM »
I could see doing some hotter indirect cooks on this, but actual hot grilling does seem like a bit of a grease fire in the making. The Slow'n Sear and Vortex products are more versatile in that way--if they are swiss army knives, then this plate is a fillet knife. It only does one thing, but it does it well...and you can use the whole cooking area! :) :) :)

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

aguyindallas

• WKC Brave
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2016, 04:57:09 AM »
Consider me a buyer if you decide to make any more to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My Tools - 22.5 OTG, 26.75 OTG, Genesis 330, Take Anywhere Gasser, 22.5 WSM, Texas Smokemaster Offset Smoker

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2016, 05:23:26 AM »
Man great idea, and it seems too work well too!
I'm always impressed with what members come up with.
How were the bottom of the ribs that were above the hotter part of the snake? Any charring or burning?

go_home_red

• Smokey Joe
    • Analog Schemes
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2016, 05:32:23 PM »
Man great idea, and it seems too work well too!
I'm always impressed with what members come up with.
How were the bottom of the ribs that were above the hotter part of the snake? Any charring or burning?
No burning at all. I just won a very local club rib cookoff using it today. The plate really does make the kettle perform like a dedicated smoker. The only downside is the lack of easy access to the charcoal, but a long, well assembled charcoal fuse really makes for predictable results. I really love this thing! [emoji2]

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2016, 03:33:59 AM »
And you won a cookoff with it? Look out, now you're in the grilling gadget business for sure! Have the placards and other signage ready for next time. And you'll need the requisite FB page, too. What about the logo? Got that yet? Kids like mascots, try that too. How soon until the Kickstarter page goes live?

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Using whole cooking grate with charcoal snake/fuse this weekend
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2016, 05:38:10 AM »

Cool thread. Sounds like your accessory is coming along well.