Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Reverse Sear Technique For A Petite Sirloin On The Kettle  (Read 1002 times)

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
Reverse Sear Technique For A Petite Sirloin On The Kettle
« on: April 28, 2016, 10:19:35 AM »
please don't think I'm talking down or thinking that this info isn't stuff y'all already know,  It's just easier to copy and paste this stuff from my blog for the pictures-

So after perusing the offerings at The East Gloucester Stop and Shop Meat Department, the deals were a little thin outside of the petite sirloin for $3.87LB. Normally I’ll only buy a Ribeye or a Porterhouse but these petite sirloins had decent enough marbling (sirloins aren’t known to have the luxurious marbling that a Ribeye has), and they were cut about an inch and a half thick.

So the plan was to smoke them on the Kettle around 225 degrees til they hit 130 internal and then take the lid off and sear the smoked sirloins over the coals to finish.

I took the sirloins out of the package, coated them with EVOO and then gave a coating of coarse salt, black pepper and Montreal Steak Seasoning and let them sit out to come up to room temperature while I prepped the kettle.

The Weber Kettle was set up using the snake method of charcoal arrangement and I dumped about 8 semi lit coals on the left hand end of the trail of  charcoal looking to build the temps to 225.  Used one chunk of mesquite and a handful of cherry wood for smoke.

Once the probe read 130 internal temp, I took off the lid and placed two steaks at a time over the glowing orange coals for about 2 minutes on each side to sear them.

I was skeptical as to how they would turn out with such little fat compared to a Ribeye but they were fantastic.  Excellent flavor, cooked perfectly!

And if you’re asking about the veggies on the plate, well uhmmm, There are none!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Reverse Sear Technique For A Petite Sirloin On The Kettle
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
That's my kind of veggie!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Reverse Sear Technique For A Petite Sirloin On The Kettle
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 12:46:43 PM »
That last picture ... I haven't wanted to lick the screen so much since the last time the wife said I shouldn't visit that one web site.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch