Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Abt's  (Read 1649 times)

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
Abt's
« on: April 28, 2016, 09:41:08 AM »
I have never tried to make Abt's  before. I looked through a couple of vids on YouTube. Anyone got some suggestions, tips or not to do's? How about temps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Abt's
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2016, 10:16:47 AM »
I always do mine low and slow (225-250) while waiting for something else to cook.  I do them for 2-2.5 hours.  They look done after an hour but need more time for the bacon to not be chewy.  I usually mix some brown sugar and minced onion in with the cream cheese.  I see you have italian sausage, which will work just fine...I usually use cheddar lil smokies.  I don't use any seasoning at all other than the brown sugar in the cream cheese.  The bacon juice, heat from the jalapeno, the cream cheese and the brown sugar combine to form an awesome flavor.  I know that most people do hit them with a rub or sauce them at the end which I am sure if just fine.  Mine tend to come out fairly mild as far as heat unless you leave some seeds and ribs in the jalapenos.  Also, I usually use the cheapest bacon I can get my hands on which is usally thin cut.  The sky is really the limit on these things though.  I think most people cook them hotter and faster than I do, but they were originally invented as something to throw on the smoker for a snack while waiting on a long cook, so I stick with that method.  I usually add them on my second grate above ribs or a shoulder....the bacon dripping on the meat hunk below it couldn't be a bad thing!!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
Abt's
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2016, 10:21:35 AM »
Second grate makes it easy to load up as you are making them.  Then it only takes a few seconds to take the lid off of your smoke already in progress, add the second grate, and then get he lid back on so you don't lose too much heat.   Also of note, I usually don't use toothpicks anymore and don't have any problems with them coming unwrapped or falling apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 10:23:48 AM by MikeRocksTheRed »
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2016, 10:35:35 AM »
They're always a hit when entertaining.  In BBQ circles everyone usually has heard of them but among the common folk think you're a culinary genius for coming up with them, lol
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 10:38:22 AM »
I like the brown sugar with minced onion idea. Sounds good. Thanks Mike!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 10:40:26 AM »
They're always a hit when entertaining.  In BBQ circles everyone usually has heard of them but among the common folk think you're a culinary genius for coming up with them, lol

This is so true.   And once the non BBQ-ers know what they are, everytime they smell your grill going you will be asked "are you making turds?"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
Mike, no issues with those wing nuts on your stacker turning and falling through the main grate?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 01:38:56 PM »
Mike, no issues with those wing nuts on your stacker turning and falling through the main grate?

I just have to spot check them before I put it on to make sure they aren't parallel to the grate bars.  Set it up this way so I can quickly adjust the grate height depending on whats under it, or so I can level it out if my grill is on an uneven surface for some reason.  Tack welding a washer to the wing nuts would be ideal!  I do actually adust the grate height quiet a bit.  In face I could probably make a third grate with short legs and fit a third grate when the main thing on the bottom grate is something like ribs or when smoking cheese.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 04:47:19 AM »
Gotcha. Couldn't tack weld here, but I could see using lock washers and nuts to keep the wing nuts from spinning.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016, 07:01:14 AM »
Gotcha. Couldn't tack weld here, but I could see using lock washers and nuts to keep the wing nuts from spinning.

Most people use nut washer nut on the legs, but then they aren't easily adjustable.