Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Brisket help  (Read 2877 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Brisket help
« on: April 26, 2016, 02:59:19 PM »
So I have never done a brisket flat and I am going to give it go tomorrow. Weather looks to be in my favor, calm and 55. I wanted to get a whole brisket but I didn't have the time to run to restaurant depot so I had to settle with a flat from Costco. It is 4.5 lbs. Going to do salt and pepper. any tips on how to cook this thing? Low and slow? Hot and fast? Fat cap up or down? Wrap with some beef broth? Inject?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheDude

• WKC Performer
Re: Brisket help
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:05 PM »
I haven't done a brisket yet, but I'd do just about any cut cap up. Let the flavor and moisture drip down and through. I've only used my WSM a few times. Once I have a better feel for it, a brisket will be done.
Still need a 22” yellow

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2016, 06:08:50 PM »
Beautiful counter top, BTW.
Still need a 22” yellow

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016, 06:17:02 PM »
Beautiful counter top, BTW.
Thanks. It's all my wife.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016, 06:22:29 PM »
I've done apparently exactly one of these, http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/brisket-1-(in-progress)/ but as you can see from the subject line I intended to do more ...

I don't have time to look back through that tonight but maybe you can find some inspiration there. It was a success although not pull-apart tender as Mr. Franklin gets his. I think at some point after it had been up there in temp for a while I just said "It's gotta be done/good enough by now" and it basically was I guess.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2016, 08:23:39 PM »
@iCARRY
Here is a thread I did on the Brethren site many years ago. You would have to have followed Pitmaster T's videos and blogs to get it, but hey, they turned out great and we ate goooood!

Oven vs. bullet
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57959

Watch his videos!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvUVyANtXXQ

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:33:21 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Travis

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016, 12:35:38 AM »
I have tried cap up and down and both have worked well. I generally use just s&p and wrap it once I get a color I like. I've wrapped in aluminum foil but recently switched to butcher paper cause it doesn't "steam".

Good luck, and get some pics!

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Brisket help
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016, 06:31:15 AM »
Thanks for the tips guys.
Ok I am trying a combo of everything. Got it in now. Settled in around 280, I am using Stubbs for the first time, hickory wood, put some worcestershire on the meat with salt pepper and a little garlic, fat cap down for now, going to either put it in a pan with some beef stock or wrap with butchers paper, and then just wait for that thing to get tender.