Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Score One Weekend...Resto The Next.  (Read 3553 times)

brewtownbeatdown

• WKC Performer
Score One Weekend...Resto The Next.
« on: April 25, 2016, 10:07:22 AM »
I have to say THANK YOU & give credit to fellow member, @einrej, for alerting me to two Craigslist finds.  I was trying to go one weekend w/o buying a grill, so I was dismissing my alerts most of the day. Thankfully, he wasn't!!!

I had seen this one & dismissed it right away. Who the he!! is gonna pay $55 for a black OTS?  The next day @einrej emails me the link w/ the subject line "Plum?  Read the description".  Asked if he got ahold of the seller & if he wanted me to grab it for him.   "Nope, you can go for it".  Got ahold of the seller & arranged a p/u time. Porcelain was in grate condition.  One wheel had broken insert.  Sweep was seized.  Grate was rusty & not original.  Seller agreed to $45.  Also bought a gas GA from seller for $15 (igniter shot, but donor wood handles in beautiful shape). Decided to steal the triangle & lid bale assembly from a chipped up Hunter Green I already had.  Had new wheels, new sweep, & new handle thermo bracket in my parts bin. Ordered a cooking grate, thermo, & ash catch assembly from Weber.  Cleaned, modded, & put together.

I've been trying to find one of these for over a year, but wasn't gonna pay the price for the beat up one on eBay.  Got the phone call from @einrej right after this one posted.  Texted the seller & agreed to a p/u time. Sweeeeeet!!! Handle worn. Grates were bad. Legs had rust spots. Found a $20 NIB SJ to use as a parts donor.

Cleaned it up, swapped in the new parts, & was able to resto the handle.  Luckily there was enough of an indentation to make out the lettering. Used an ultra fine Sharpie to outline the letters. Filled in with a regular Sharpie (wanted ink to soak in). Sanded the sh!t outta the handles.  Stained & sealed w/ high temperature, outdoor Spar.  Surprisingly, it turned out as I'd hoped it would.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 10:09:28 AM by brewtownbeatdown »
Obviously looking for a Glen Blue (who isn’t?😂).

Looking for anything Happy Cooker, including any re-branded as Montgomery Ward.  I’ve amassed a nice collection, but I’m missing a few still.  Let me know if you can help a fella out🤞

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
Re: Score One Weekend...Resto The Next.
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2016, 10:20:30 AM »
WOW. you had a hell of a weekend.  Love the Maroooon MT  8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2016, 10:21:55 AM »
Nice scores. I love that plum faux-MT.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Yendor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 11:51:08 AM »
WOW!! Awesome finds! Great job on the clean up as well.

SteveZ

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2016, 11:53:30 AM »
Grate lookin Plum! Congrats. Its a beauty!
SSP Caribique, Black 2nd Generation Performer, 2018 Green Performer, 1970 MBH 26 Black (Fleetwood) with Roti, 1965 Thumb Screw 49er, (2) Black 18 OTG, 2017 Black Master Touch, Black Genesis Silver B.  E code 14 WSM, AH code 18 WSM, AH code 22 WSM,

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2016, 12:02:38 PM »
Hot damn!!!!!   That maroon is gorgeous!  Congratulations and nice job on the restore!
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2016, 12:36:22 PM »
Sweet!!
May The Smoke Be With You!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2016, 03:49:57 PM »
What a Maroon! Lol very nice indeed congrats!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2016, 03:50:39 PM »
Beautiful, great scores!
Nice conversion on the plum too

Uncle Al

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2016, 05:40:08 PM »
That is sharp!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 05:41:59 PM »
Nice work!  I love those maroons-- my dad had one, and he cooked that thing right into the ground.  I was sad to see it go. 
One of the charcoal people.

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
Nice RRR!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2016, 09:53:11 PM »
@brewtownbeatdown,   You did a fantastic cleanUP and UPgrade to that magnificent plum  ...  hot dam what a great color for a kettle.   Not un-noticed was all the work put into the RRR on the Green Bay NFL as well.  Two fine additions to your crew.  :)                                SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2016, 10:07:12 PM »
Nice work on the upgrade to the plum. Also love the packers Joe!

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2016, 04:12:27 AM »
That's Plum Pretty!...and that SJ is cool too