Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumbo Joe Mod  (Read 6684 times)

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe Mod
« on: March 08, 2016, 11:49:27 AM »
Soooo burn me once! Shame on you! Burn me twice! Shame on me! To avoid a future knuckle/finger burn, I added this knob on the lower damper. The idea came from a fellow WKC member and it makes so much sense. This is why this forum is so resourceful and I thank you.

My next mod is adding an oem thermometer. Should I mount it on top the lid or on side just above the grill grate? The thermometer is small and can fit on the edge of the lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 08, 2016, 11:56:55 AM by Bustin Butt »
If it ain't smoked don't eat it!

Darko

• WKC Performer
Re: Jumbo Joe Mod
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 01:36:01 PM »
I picked up a green smokey joe yesterday, and the previous owner had done a similar mod to it.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 01:38:19 PM »
The side of the lid might be cool.  It would let you turn the thermo from side to side depending on if you are cooking fully direct, or dual zone setup, or right in between.  @Hell Fire Grill would probably put about 8 of them on there!!!
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 01:42:24 PM »

The side of the lid might be cool.  It would let you turn the thermo from side to side depending on if you are cooking fully direct, or dual zone setup, or right in between.  @Hell Fire Grill would probably put about 8 of them on there!!!
Mike I'm leaning towards putting it on the side for that very reason you mentioned. Thanks pal.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 05:20:21 PM »
I triangulated mine from handle-vent-edge location. Brought it over as far as I could before the lid sloped too much, basically. These JJs lend themselves to indirect cooking very well, in some ways better than a standard 18 IMO. So get it as close to an edge as possible, near the vent since you won't be positioning the vent directly over heat, ya know?

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 07:06:41 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke I like that concept as well. Btw...did you order your molded vent handle from Weber?

Old Dave

• WKC Brave
    • Old Dave's Po-Farm
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:31:54 PM »
Your welcome...and here is the way I mounted my thermometer on the Jumbo Joe.

I didn't feel there was enough room to mount it on top of the lid. I also feel that the side mount gives a fellow a more accurate reading of the grid temp in the cooker.

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 03:55:25 AM »
@Old Dave @addicted-to-smoke I really like both ideas and what it has boiled down to is that by mounting it on the side like Dave, it gives me a better view of the thermometer while I'm sitting on my rump drinking a cold one LOL. But thanks guys for your input.

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 04:39:44 AM »
Almost completely OT here...I've always seen these table top kettles as "picnic/camping" kettles.

What do you guys use them for if you're not doing the mini-WSM mod?
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 04:52:12 AM »
@LaTuFu I have Weber's "Portable Charcoal Table" (7445) and for me it acts as my JJ's table so that I don't have to bend down to the ground. So, at home whenever I use the JJ there. I've gone through periods when all I use if the JJ and periods when both it and the table sit in storage. Very well made and designed table, FWIW, especially if you have a a JJ or SJ. Holds up great when left outside too.

@Bustin Butt Mine's a 2014 and I was pricing that "handle for lid damper" http://www.ereplacementparts.com/handle-for-lid-damper-molded-black-p-2127037.html and after shipping it came out to be very close to just buying a brand new vent damper with the black insulator (i.e. the handle) already installed on it.

Coupled with the fact that what they were selling were matching-code AH vents that's the way I went. But yeah so now I have an unused lid vent floating around the house somewhere.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
Jumbo Joe Mod
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 05:49:51 AM »
@LaTuFu I really like the versatility of the JJ/table kettle. One reason is I am only cooking for two people mostly so the JJ uses less coals than a standard 22" kettle. Second, I love the fact that it cooks hot and fast for things like burgers and steaks. And last but not least, it can be set up for a two zone cook which does an excellent job when set up correctly. And again the fact that @addicted-to-smoke mentioned, that table makes it easy to cook on without the need to bend down and makes it a nice stand alone kettle.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 05:53:12 AM by Bustin Butt »

Bustin Butt

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 12:39:04 PM »
I decided to go with the top mount, because the bezel didn't sit flush on the side edge of the kettle. Thanks for both inputs.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 02:29:35 PM »
Rock and roll!

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 07:18:17 PM »
That looks pretty slick.
Still need a 22” yellow

captjoe06

• WKC Performer
    • Northeast BBQ
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2016, 07:17:07 AM »
Where did you order the knob and do you think it would work on a SJ?
Smokey Joe Black, Smokey Joe Lime Green, Original Kettle Premium Black,'92 Red OTS, Yellow Simpson's 22, 78 Red MBH, '80 Black MBH, '10 Brick Red Performer,'12 Grass Green Performer, '03 Blue SSP, '97 Blue SSP, 18 inch WSM