Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Has anyhone heard a rumor....  (Read 104844 times)

Jtayres

• WKC Brave
Re: Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #570 on: April 11, 2016, 11:35:50 AM »
I snuck out yesterday to check them out too. They only had the tabled version, bummer.

The wire cage drawer thing was by far the biggest disappointment. No bearings? Ick.
I think I would prefer it be fully enclosed drawer, or even a cabinet.
LOVE LOVE LOVE the lid and the insulation. The cook space is quite a bit larger than the 22.
I need to have this grill.

Cabinet for sure! at least they should of made it compatible with the summit grill center cabinets.
Kettles: 2015 Performer Deluxe (Green), 2001 One Touch Platinum, 1999 Performer gas assist, 1991 Smokey Joe Gold (Green) Gasser: Genesis Silver B

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #571 on: April 11, 2016, 11:42:18 AM »
I was under the impression that cabinets were havens for moisture/rust and/or spiders. I dig the open look in a "we used to do it this way, and people on the Internet love the old SS and Genesis frames" kind of vibe.

Does the drawer not slide out easily?
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Darko

• WKC Performer
« Reply #572 on: April 11, 2016, 11:55:18 AM »
No the drawer hangs up. It's a real POS

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
Has anyhone heard a rumor....
« Reply #573 on: April 11, 2016, 12:01:53 PM »
How's the bowl mount to the table ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 12:04:54 PM by Idahawk »
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #574 on: April 11, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »
i figure it'll be 10-15 years before one appears on CL for me.   ::)
hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

LaTuFu

• WKC Brave
« Reply #575 on: April 12, 2016, 04:18:48 AM »
I called my local dealer to ask if they had one in stock yet.  To my surprise, he said yes, one of the table models.  Said he'd have it assembled for display on Saturday.  Went by there yesterday, all he had out were a bunch of new Performers.  Methinks he hasn't been reading his Weber dealer literature lately...
Q2000; 26er; P Code MT; 22 WSM

Thomas Andrews

• WKC Brave
« Reply #576 on: April 12, 2016, 04:23:18 AM »
It doesn't come out in the UK until the summer, so that gives me time to get the 2nd mortgage together to help pay for this proper piece of bbq kit.

I'm getting one as soon as I can afford it basically

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #577 on: April 12, 2016, 04:42:00 AM »
... Methinks he hasn't been reading his Weber dealer literature lately...

So many dealers are really only Weber (or for that matter, grilling) dealers by some random accident of history. When Apple's growth boom happened after Jobs came back to the company, he noticed that most dealers weren't ... shall we say, very committed, and the Apple Stores soon emerged.

If the U.S ever sees another big grilling boom that isn't merely based on Yet More $500 Disposable Gassers, Weber should be poised to actually open stores here, or at least partner with dedicated retailers like they do in Europe with extensive displays. Weber certainly knows that a grill is no longer just a piece of hardware like a garden hose or hot water heater. But they've allowed themselves to be locked into this relationship with hardware stores for quaintly irrelevant reasons!

For every Ace that has some higher-end Weber models, there are likely a dozen or more that have a couple basic kettles clogging an aisle and huge space devoted to BGE. I get that local franchise owners can choose what to offer but it means only a very few will be "legit" dealers who know the product and have it, too.

Speaking of (some) Ace, and well ... Home Depot/Lowe's ... there's one Weber I see at all three here, and it's the go-to-the-head-of-the-class S-670, which stands out as a big honkin' F-U to all the flimsy pretenders nearby. I don't know if Weber hopes for the Summit Charcoal to be more prominent or not, but getting it into these stores would really help. It doesn't have to sell, just as HD/Lowe's probably don't sell many S-670's. I fail to see how anyone looking at a Char-Griller or even an Oklahoma Joe wouldn't be impressed at what else is available.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

saxart

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #578 on: April 12, 2016, 08:26:12 AM »

...they've allowed themselves to be locked into this relationship with hardware stores for quaintly irrelevant reasons!

For every Ace that has some higher-end Weber models, there are likely a dozen or more that have a couple basic kettles clogging an aisle and huge space devoted to BGE. I get that local franchise owners can choose what to offer but it means only a very few will be "legit" dealers who know the product and have it, too.

AMEN!!!

Case in point:  I make it a habit to stop into local hardware stores, whenever I am in a new part of town for something unrelated, hoping to find some older Weber parts or accessories.  Just last weekend I stopped into a small Ace-Hardware store.  Right away an older man in a red vest asked if I needed help with anything.   I told him I was just looking at the Weber grills, and killing some time.  For the next 20 minutes he tried to talk me out of the Weber section and over to the very LARGE display of BGE's they had in the main aisle of the store.  All of the Weber stuff was off in a dark and dusty corner, while there had to be $4,000 worth of BGE's right in the main center alley of the store.   Weber doesn't need this kind of thing messing with their sales.
Interested in ANY offset handle SJs you may have.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #579 on: April 12, 2016, 09:52:30 AM »
A retailer measures sales by the square foot. If something takes up space and doesn't sell, especially physically large SKU's, it won't last. So I don't doubt they make good money on BGE.

This seems like a chicken-or-egg thing in many ways. Does Weber/BGE seek out hardware stores because they have nowhere else to go, or the other way around because customers ask for grills?

The only "outdoor lifestyle" stores are the luxury kind, often featuring built-ins, kamados, large gassers and custom fireplaces in high-rent areas.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #580 on: April 13, 2016, 04:03:24 PM »
@dwnthehatch They have the Summit in Edgewater?  I might have to go look at it.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #581 on: April 13, 2016, 04:11:44 PM »
@dwnthehatch They have the Summit in Edgewater?  I might have to go look at it.

Yes they do. The table version were expected to arrive yesterday  They had the stand alone when I was there.

jaynik

• WKC Brave
« Reply #582 on: April 13, 2016, 04:22:17 PM »
Oh no.  I'm afraid to go there...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #583 on: April 18, 2016, 05:42:25 AM »
Oh no.  I'm afraid to go there...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I went there this weekend. They have 3 standalones and 5 grill stations. One thing I noticed, the lid will slam shut with a heavy gust of wind.  It will definitely wake you up the first time it happens.  If you go there, talk to Brock. Let him know you are a member of WKC.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #584 on: May 02, 2016, 11:43:24 AM »
I was about to pull the trigger on one and realized that there is no way to attach a rotisserie. That is a deal breaker for me since I use mine weekly.