Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So I suppose I'll seal it up.  (Read 10132 times)

iCARRY

• WKC Ranger
Re: So I suppose I'll seal it up.
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 02:08:26 PM »
I am using the lavarock from that site as well. Using it on a 22. It helped me a lot.
Going to order the Cajun Bandit pimp kit with the rotisserie, door, and charcoal ring one day. Wonder if the door will fit with the gasket or will I have to peel it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 02:24:55 PM »
As I said, I don't have a gasket on mine, I know people who do have them and use the Cajun door.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2016, 03:16:39 PM »
Man, hate that you had to chase it around all night. The glory of the wsm is that you shouldn't have to do that.

My 22 is kind of leaky too, but seems to hold temps well, even though I haven't tried sub 250 so now I'm curious.

Did you try to catch the temp on the way up? I think shutting the vents down to nearly closed around 25-50 below your target should help.

Especially with a leaky one, I wouldn't be afraid to close all three vents all the way.

Can't wait to go over and see the cook!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2016, 04:02:36 PM »
I haven't needed the gaskets, I think that the more you use it, the more stuff collects in that gap, the more it seals.

But I'm 110% on board with the Cajun Bandit door.  I've got them on both of mine.

Also, my adaptation to the minion method is to use an old Bush Baked Beans can with both ends cut out. I set it in the charcoal ring and load my coals all around it,  Then I dump my hot coals into the can and pull it out with a set of pliers.

BD

While this is true in an ideal world, there are so many non-precision interfaces on the WSM that can leak to cause it to run super hot. If one of your pieces is oblonged, no amount of grime will get it to seal.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2016, 04:34:56 PM »
Only reason I'm going to seal one of mine up is I'm using a Hunsaker Smokers Vortex Firebasket. If ever you had runaway HIGH temps on a 22" bullet, you'd do the same.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 04:36:41 PM by swamprb »
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

jdefran

• WKC Brave
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 06:04:58 AM »
Delicious!

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-food-pics/cherry-dr-pepper-pulled-pork/new/#new

Fuel was a combination of K-Comp, K-Hickory, cherry chunks, K-Blue and lump. DON'T ASK.
After seeing this in your cook thread, I wonder if it contributed to any trouble regulating temps..

I wish your experience was more like mine. I have done only 3-4 cooks on my WSM and encountered temps to remain fairly constant. However, I let the cooker settle where it naturally wants to.

To summarize my process:
  • Light approx 1/2 chimney of charcoal
  • Fill charcoal basket and bury 5-10 wood chunks (depending on size)
  • I randomly scatter lit charcoal on unlit charcoal
  • Let warm until approx 225 deg
  • Close 2 vents, leave 1 vent about 1/4 open
    • Monitor temp until it seems to stabilize (usually around 275)
  • If temp stabilized usually you should have TBS, if not wait till it clears up a little
  • Add meat
  • Monitor temp to verify it remains stable
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 06:27:05 AM by jdefran »

Harbormaster

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
ATS,
The other sign that things are out of round is that when you shut all of the vents the coals don't extinguish.
If I was you I would check to see if any of my WSM parts were out of round before I spent any money on gaskets and a door.
The bottom of the center section gets out of round pretty easily, and the top of the center section, charcoal bowl, and lid can too.
Use a measuring tape to take multiple diameter measurements of all three pieces. If they are round you should have consistent diameter measurements. If they are off by more than 1/8 inch I would gently squeeze them until I had consistent measurements.
Most of my WSMs have required this treatment. All have stock doors with no gaskets and all hold temps at about 275 with bottom vents 1/3 open.
I've got Webers. 10 - WSMs, 5 - 22.5" kettles, 2 - 18.5" kettle, 2 - SJS, 2 - SJP, 4 - WGA, 1 vintage Coolie Pan
"Animal flesh cooked over an open fire is a sensible and essential part of a well balanced diet"

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2016, 04:06:09 PM »
Imo it takes a handful of smokes to know how to run the wsm at target temp...i add the 8-10 coals and then shut down all vents..the temp will always jump to high 200s...i come back in about 15-20 mins..and check back 15 mins cycles till i see the temp cycling down..once its in drop mode around 250..i will slightly open 1 -2 vents (open about 15%)..usually about 20 mins later i will see the temp stabilize around 225/230...this is a constant startup process for both 14 and 18".

Total startup time after dropping first hot coals is usually around 45 mins or little less to stable temp..thereafter she will hold temp until coals get low and then i open up the vents as required to keep temps up.

I have zero mods to my wsm other then upgrading all connecting hardware to SS.

Including stock door...the wsm is seasoned well enough where there is zero leakage in any part of the wsm.

I think the usual beginner error is underestimating how sensitive vent adjustments are during initial fireup...once a wsm accelerates heat it takes a long time to pull it back
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2016, 01:45:06 PM »
When I initially got this lit up, with too much happening, I saw smoke leak at the top, not the bottom even though the middle section does require a slight "placement" down into the bowl. Overall I think it fits together well but that the lid isn't designed to seal as well as the middle section-to-bowl.

I'm interested in sealing the top and door for sure but since I'd be getting a kit or roll, would presumably have enough to include the bottom too.

And I know I lit too many to start, a full (smaller) chimney.

The 18.5" I bought my brother-in-law last year hasn't been used yet, partly because he doesn't know how/hasn't been interested to explore and partly because I'm not often in town long enough to assist. BUT, I remember his middle section fits his bowl poorly and I wasn't able to bend it back very well. I'd want to work on his sealing better before him having an initial bad experience. Maybe there's a thicker/uglier gasket for that situation.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2016, 04:10:45 PM »
Sounds like the body is out of round.  While not deterring an owner from their mod intents..i would try to get the body back in round condition..which youd want to do regardlesd of adding gaskets...i may also suggest to get a half dozen smokes done and then checking leakage.  Mine leaked everywhere until i got past first half dozen smokes then it sealed up .  I patiently waited for seasoning to build bc i didnt want to add gaskets..gaskets will fail and need to be replaced ..not a maintenance chore i wanted to get stuck with.  Imo slight leaks will not impact heat temps....
I think the high heat during startup you can figure out with reducing lot coals and also ahutting down vents after adding coals and waiting for the temp to start dropping then adjusting vents to catch target temp..

Good luck with whichever path you take.
Grills

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2016, 09:07:40 PM »
Sounds great but I just can't leave it gunked up. I don't smoke enough for that and stuff would inevitably start growing. My main kettle is used several times a week so except for ash I don't care much about gunk there. Or am I missing something basic here? I also don't necessarily want to get gaskets and then be scraping them off later when worn.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2016, 11:08:38 PM »
@addicted-to-smoke,  never fear we're all hear.   I'll just mention (what 1buckie would remind us) that every Pork Shoulder is different.  My usual L&S for pulled pork is well below the Valentines day massacre I made this past Sunday.  That little piggy, about 9lbs bone-in, was too lean and sinewy, hit the stall at 151-154F and I finally gave up and wrapped it in foil (wasn't originally going to do the Tex Crutch) until it hit 203F.   AND my WSM is an 18er and quite sealed up.   Sometimes it's not the you, sometimes it's not the equipment, and sometimes it's not the pork, and sometimes it's all three.    Like they say: "you pay your money and you take your chances".    My total cook time was 7:30 pm to 11:30 am and that's with an ATC on the inlet vent.  Sixteen hours and it was just to hot to pull for the party   :(          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2016, 04:46:48 PM »
Dont think you are missing anything...
The high heat i think can be cured with less coals and the startup process i shared...i dont think slight air leaking is causing uncontrollable temps...try the startup process and i think you will be all set..it takes a few smokes to know how to get stable temp during fireup
Grills

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2016, 04:51:40 PM »
The leaking will cure itself. The air leaks will pull the grease and stuff towards the leaky areas.. and that will concentrate the stuff needed to seal the wsm to the point you dont see smoke leaking..i think wood chunk smoke exaggerates the oerceived air leak you may have...id give it a few more smokes if you want to avoid gaskets...
Gaskets wont cure incorrect startup process...
Ibhavent installed any gaskets..but in reality any/every gasket fails..especially when subjected to high heats and left outdoors (see postings about replacing bge gaskets...bge owners have to routinely replace their gaskets)
Grills