Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: So I suppose I'll seal it up.  (Read 10128 times)

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
So I suppose I'll seal it up.
« on: February 14, 2016, 06:35:46 PM »
I knew it leaked air, always wanting to run high. But that doesn't work for an overnight smoke. Nevertheless I loaded it up since it's chilly outside (mid 30s) and set it going with 10 or so hot coals.

350 degrees with vents mostly closed. Aw crap. Makes a nice grill, doesn't it? Closed ALL vents, 275. Blah. Arduously removed coals into the kettle. 215 now. Fine, meat on (alb pork butt) and added about 10 mostly-spent hot coals to offset impending heat loss. 260 ... 225 not long after.

I think this is why I started just doing snakes on the kettle. That thing locks into 225 like nobody's business.

It leaks around the door and it leaks where the lid meets the middle section. Perhaps it leaks at the bottom too but since smoke doesn't come out down low I can't see. Yeah, 212 now. Out to add more coals.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

tb80

• WKC Ranger
So I suppose I'll seal it up.
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2016, 07:14:36 PM »
This your first time smoking on it? 
If so, two comments: 1) it will take a few smokes to seal up, 2) it will take a few smokes to figure out how to dial it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looking for Blue Mastertouch or Blue Performer. 

Currently have: Performer (Green); 22.5 Mastertouch (Red); 26.75 OTG;  22.5 WSM; 18.5 WSM; Jumbo Joe; SJS (Green Uline); SJG (used for Mini WSM); Blue SS Performer; Blue MBH; Summit

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: So I suppose I'll seal it up.
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 08:46:23 PM »
Is it a 22.5"? If so, that door is crap and must be replaced by a Cajun bandit door. The metal is too flimsy and the door hole is too big to create a good seal. I couldn't get the smoker under 300 without the new door. Now I can hold whatever temp I want with no problems.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 09:37:02 PM »
18.5" and I've used it a few times before but mostly it sits on the deck. Might be my first winter smoke with it, the rest always ran fast though. Part of my initial problem was that my cherry chunks caught too soon despite being close to the outside of the ring and away from center charcoal.

Been slowly adding back hot coals I'd removed plus some, about every hour. Nursing it steady at 230-ish. Another trip back out soon to add more of the mostly-spent coals but add some cold (completely unlit) ones now too, to take it through longer while I get a nap. Meat's been on 3 hrs, 110 degrees. Got a feeling the Maverick's gonna wake me up in a few hours at 160 to wrap.

All vents still closed and at this rate I don't think I'll open them at all.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 09:41:54 PM »
18.5" and I've used it a few times before but mostly it sits on the deck. Might be my first winter smoke with it, the rest always ran fast though. Part of my initial problem was that my cherry chunks caught too soon despite being close to the outside of the ring and away from center charcoal.

Been slowly adding back hot coals I'd removed plus some, about every hour. Nursing it steady at 230-ish. Another trip back out soon to add more of the mostly-spent coals but add some cold (completely unlit) ones now too, to take it through longer while I get a nap. Meat's been on 3 hrs, 110 degrees. Got a feeling the Maverick's gonna wake me up in a few hours at 160 to wrap.

All vents still closed and at this rate I don't think I'll open them at all.

Have you done some smoke leak tests on it while it is empty? You can burn some newspaper in it to see where it leaks and adjust accordingly

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:36:52 PM »
Closest I came to that was a few days ago when attempting to burn out some mold with lighter fluid. It leaks where the lid meets the middle section and around the door, which I've previously tried to bend back into shape. I don't think anything significant leaks at the bottom.

1:30 was the next hour but it was doing well and so I let it die down to 205. Just added maybe 20 unlit K Comp, gave a light stir to the rest + about 4-5 smaller cherry chunks to help power through. Temp is slowly going back up after losing heat through door when adding charcoal, 212 now and meat's 122.

Once these coals and cherry light it'll climb above 250 but I don't care. It can do that and then die down again. I just gotta catch some winks. It would be great if it goes to at least 5am before either the meat gets to 160 or the fire dies again.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2016, 04:07:13 AM »
... It would be great if it goes to at least 5am before either the meat gets to 160 or the fire dies again.

At 5am the buzzer dings at low heat. Another 15-20 unlit coals added. Meat was maybe 145. Somewhere between 5 and 7am the dinger dinged a few times as it crossed over the 250 threshold; it hadn't gotten that hot on the last go-round that saw the same amount of fresh fuel + the wood chunks, not added at 5am.

At 7am it buzzed again. I didn't look at it, I just got up and figured the meat was ready to wrap. Quickly wrapped in a foil pan and added some cherry Dr. Pepper to the pan (part of the recipe ...) During this time I noticed the meat was not at 160 but was at 154. Whatever, it'll get there soon enough.

Soon came an hour later, so that's an hour more sleep I could have had. Temps are dancing around 250, so the buzzer buzzes dutifully each time it closes 250.

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 04:45:36 AM »
I have sealed my 18.5 with bbqgaskets.com kit. but I never had that hard of a time without the kit. I added to kit to run a stoker better. How did you start the fire? Minion method? Did you use water?
Hotty Toddy!

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 05:37:08 AM »
I ordered the LavaLock gaskets from BBQSmokersupply.com
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 06:25:23 AM »
No water. I lit the first batch with my Performer in a small chimney. Minion method with Harry Soo "crater." I'll look into the gaskets.

On my most recent charcoal addition I did about 3 shallow scoops (Weber ash scoop) and since the sun had now come up could better see to move them around better. With 2 vents slightly open it's at 270 to better beat the shit out of the stall; meat's been about 175-180.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 09:15:19 AM »
We're rooting for you, ATS. Let us help you troubleshoot the leak before your next cook so you'll be able to sleep next time. Keep us posted.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 10:02:32 AM »
Meat made it to 192 before charcoal began to die, and another "regular application" of charcoal was pointless. It's not super cold here but it's taken a few chimney's worth of lit lump to get it moving past that temp. Been running around 370 degrees for about an hour. Meat's just now at 205, going to go and take it off, wrap in towel and toss into cooler. 15 1/2 hours on the smoker for one freakin' butt.

I hate the door. If nothing else I want the newer kind with the lever handle instead of the knob. But it should fit better. Hopefully the Cajun SS door for older WSMs can take the newer L-shaped handle. I may try that combo.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 10:12:10 AM »
Walked outside and the smell is indescribable. Talk about magic, and I haven't even unwrapped it yet. If I EVER remove one of these before 200 degrees somebody shoot me.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 10:24:31 AM »

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 01:31:42 PM »
I haven't needed the gaskets, I think that the more you use it, the more stuff collects in that gap, the more it seals.

But I'm 110% on board with the Cajun Bandit door.  I've got them on both of mine.

Also, my adaptation to the minion method is to use an old Bush Baked Beans can with both ends cut out. I set it in the charcoal ring and load my coals all around it,  Then I dump my hot coals into the can and pull it out with a set of pliers.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna