Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Updated: Question for Slow 'N Sear Owners - SNS vs. SMC  (Read 5963 times)

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Updated: Question for Slow 'N Sear Owners - SNS vs. SMC
« on: January 22, 2016, 06:27:45 AM »
I completely revamped this question. So if you read the first several responses it might not make sense. I made the mistake of asking the question wrong and was too vague, instead of being more specific to myself.   :o Let me try again.

So, IF you own a Slow 'N Sear, (and it helps if you have experience with a Smokey Mountain Cooker): Would you think a SNS would/could take the place of a SMC? What do you think? @Troy

Reasons for my question specific to me:
1. I LOVE to look at all the kettle collections others have. Love it. But I've decided to not have much more than I can use. I prefer cookers and not lookers. I want good lookin' cookers, but like to keep my collection small.
2. I have enjoyed my SMC, but I'm not sure I use it enough to bother keeping it.
3. But, I don't want to regret selling the SMC. I've sold stuff before that I regretted.
4. I won't keep both of them. The sale of the SMC would pay for the SNS and some upgrades for my Performer.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 08:16:22 AM by Mark Schnell »

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
Re: Slow 'N Sear Versus Smokey Mountain Cooker
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 06:55:37 AM »
Should absolutely sell it....to me.  I'll give you $75.
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 07:22:25 AM »
I have the 14.5, 18.5, and 22.5 WSM and will not get rid of them, probably ever. Also have tons of kettles. Each has their own use. No SnS but maybe somewhere down the line.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

Russell C.

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 07:38:47 AM »
Here's my question - Is the SnS so awesome that you'd sell a SMC after getting it?

I think you answered your own question there.  Get the SnS and decide after getting it.  I don't have an SnS yet, but do have a 22 WSM and a Smokenator.  I got rid of my 18 WSM after getting the Smokenator for many of the same reasons you are thinking.  I regret it terribly.  Again, I do not have the SnS, but I just don't know that any in-kettle gadget can truly replicate the results of a WSM.  Just my $0.02.

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
Re: Updated: Question for Slow 'N Sear Owners - SNS vs. SMC
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:17:20 AM »
Good responses thus far, thanks. I updated the original post to be more specific. My first question was sloppy.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 10:52:07 AM »
Kettles are most versatile overall but what they don't have is meat capacity and ability to maintain temp for the same length of time as a WSM. The SnS will help with the latter issue for a kettle but can't overcome the former.

Different machines for different uses, is all.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 11:01:56 AM »
It really comes down to capacity.

I love the SNS, but it will never replace my full sized smoker.

The SNS is great for a couple slabs or ribs, or a couple smaller butts, or a brisket.
Anything beyond that needs a bigger boat.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
For me, the SnS affords some additional enamel protection.  It's easier to re-load coal for a longer cook than my SmokenAtor and doesn't require the same attention during the cook (not a problem for me since that's one of the reasons I slow cook, time to enjoy life, cigars, and single malt).  That being said; the "in your kitchen cooker" devices always take up some room in the cooking chamber  ...  since the WSM has the "fire down below" you get more cooking space upstairs.  Plus, it's just so cool to look at while it cooks :)   I'd be at a loss without both.                     SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
Don't have the SnS, but I do have a 22wsm.

I think the biggest obstacle in getting a wsm is the price tag. Once you have one don't get rid of it! Like Troy said its about capacity. Do I often need the space of the wsm...no. But the way I figure it, better to have the room and not need it, than need the room and not have it.

One butt, kettle.
A lot of friends over and lookin' like a boss...WSM

ABCbarbecue

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 05:42:37 PM »
@Mark Schnell feel free to give us a call on our dedicated line (704-425-1023) and I'll talk you through the pros and cons of the Slow 'N Sear, and I'll be surprisingly objective.  Scouts honor!

Of course I hope folks still chime in here, I'm just offering my help.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 05:44:05 PM »
Keep the Smokey Mountain. Even if it's just to look at.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2016, 08:06:09 PM »
Okay, thanks for all the great responses. I especially appreciate what @WNC said, once you get over the price tag and get a WSM, don't get rid of it. That makes a load of sense. So, I'm amending what I said, I'm gonna keep the WSM AND get a SNS too!!

It's input like this that makes me love the WKC so much!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2016, 08:39:55 PM »
Like it's been said before: "When you come to a fork in the road, take it" ...                              YB
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

AZRaptor

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 09:24:24 PM »
I actually got rid of my WSM before buying the SnS, but not because of it. I have multiple kettles as well as a couple other dedicated smokers (non-Weber types) so when a co-worker finally started voicing some interest in BBQ after all of my ramblings I hooked him up with my WSM.
I'M A RECOVERING WEBER ADDICT
Selling: Black & Green Gas Assist SS Performers, Brownie Gas Kettle, 1980 B Code Black MBH, 70's & '04 SJ, Weber Firepit, Black Happy Cooker On the Bubble: Blk Offset SJ

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 09:27:42 PM »
on the low end of temps, my kettle runs  a little hotter then my WSM. Though the kettle is a 22 vs a 14.5 wsm... But temp gets low enough.

Otherwise, kettle works just as good... Just less space in general then any given size.

Really more about the capacity you need.