Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase  (Read 11221 times)

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Re: Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2016, 04:48:49 PM »
A couple observations about my first cook (I'll try and do a write up for the cook section). 

1).  I didn't use the chimney as I figured I'd keep it simple.   The gas starter did a great job of lighting the lump charcoal. 
2). I think I threw the steaks on a little premature.   Need to be more patient with the preheating. 
3). I didn't move the grill out from where it was sitting and all seemed fine.   I had a couple stray embers that concerned me but I think that was because I opened the lid before it was fully ready.   
4). For a first effort, the steaks were good (and way better than I used to get from the gas grill) but I know there is room for improvement based on steaks I've had from friend's kettles.  My 10 year old son said it was amazing so I have that. 
5). I definitely need to get comfortable moving the grates and baskets around but that will come with time. 

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guitarfish

• WKC Brave
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2016, 05:19:52 PM »
 8)
"beer ain't drinkin', it's survivin' "

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2016, 06:47:27 PM »
[emoji106] !
A bunch of black kettles
-JC

firedude5015

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2016, 07:28:59 PM »
[emoji106] [emoji91]  Congratulations Sir,  nicely done

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2016, 08:37:44 PM »
If my first cook on a kettle only looked that tasty !!!   Congrats.                              SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2016, 03:29:23 AM »
Congrats and that's a fine looking first cook!

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2016, 04:34:03 AM »
Looks like win to me, great first cook!

Neil_VT00

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2016, 09:45:02 AM »
New grill looks great as does the first cook (and the patio for that matter).

Should we all start a pool to bet on how long before the gasser is posted in the for sale section??

Wanted: Burgundy 18"

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
« Reply #68 on: January 23, 2016, 09:50:23 AM »
Beauty cook. A sturdy pair of long handle tongs will aid in moving baskets and whatnot around when hot.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

Loonysup

• Smokey Joe
Need help deciding on first kettle purchase
« Reply #69 on: January 23, 2016, 09:52:33 AM »
Just finished my second cook and my wife said "you're never going to use that other grill again are you?"   

I tried out the chimney in combination with the gas starter and it worked great.   

My only issue this second go around is that some of the vegetables had a little too much charcoal taste.    I'm not sure if I should attribute it to the cowboy brand lump charcoal I'm using or if I started cooking too soon again. 

I only bought a small bag of the charcoal since I figured I would want to experiment with other types or possible briquettes In the future.   

Cooked up some chorizo and burgers.  The burgers were fantastic. 

David

« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:06:31 AM by Loonysup »

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #70 on: January 23, 2016, 10:03:42 AM »
Welcome!

You're doing just fine.  Great looking cook-ups!  Keep at it.  I continue to learn every time.

I recommend weld gloves to move stuff around to go along with other gadgets and stuff-and-things.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:05:58 AM by MacEggs »
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #71 on: January 23, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
Looking good. Get some small cast iron skillets for veggies that need less smokiness. OR with enough heat they'll cook just fine indirect on the grill. Less smoke not being right on top of the coals. Experiment!
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #72 on: January 23, 2016, 10:41:27 AM »
Y'all are a bunch of enablers. Keep up the good work.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

MeatAndPotatos

• WKC Brave
« Reply #73 on: January 23, 2016, 11:37:12 AM »
My only issue this second go around is that some of the vegetables had a little too much charcoal taste.    I'm not sure if I should attribute it to the cowboy brand lump charcoal I'm using or if I started cooking too soon again. 
I forget now if it was cowboy or frontier that I had that smoked a bit and didn't have the nice woodfire smell I would expect... but it may be the brand lump you were using. Also, one of the downsides of lump is that if you watch carefully you will occasionally notice brown pieces that are basically still part wood and weren't completely turned to coal. These pieces will produce a lot more smoke and smell, and likely flavor the food more as well.

it can be harder to see if lump is going during the day, but when the full basket is going you should be good to go. Really once the initial bit of smoke that comes off as it gets started stops you should be good unless your looking for max heat.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #74 on: January 23, 2016, 12:51:29 PM »
PS.  If your not already, turn off that Touch-n-Go flame after no more than 5 mins  ...   coals will continue to light on there own.                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".