Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: First cheese smoke  (Read 3575 times)

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
    • The Kettle Cookers (facebook group)
First cheese smoke
« on: January 06, 2016, 09:11:39 AM »
I've had my A-MAZE-N 12" tube smoker since a week before Christmas and have had some blocks of cheese in my fridge for a few weeks.  I finally got my cold smoked cheese underway today. 

Using applewood in the tube.  Place a large tray of ice on the charcoal grate to help keep temps down.  Using my 26er and so far the temps are holding around 70 degrees.   I've only had the lid on for 15 minutes so I suspect the temp will climb a little bit.  The temperature outside at the moment is 55.

Smoking mild cheddar, Monterrey jack, and pepper jack. 

I'll post updates as things progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Maxmbob

• WKC Ranger
Re: First cheese smoke
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 10:40:32 AM »
Looking forward to your updates on the cheese and the A maze n smoke tube. Looks go o d.
WTB, Westerner, glen blue,

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 01:22:50 PM »
The cheese is done. I'll let you know how it tastes in a week to 10 days!

I don't have a torch so lighting the smoking tube was a little tricky.  Tried to put a light cube under one end but it just wouldn't quite do the trick.  I ended up put a few of the smallest scraps of applewood in my chunk bag in the open end then put a lighter cube right next to it.  As the lighter cube burned down I put it in the end of the tube.  It worked and after it was going I pulled the cube out, but I think it might have worked too good.  I didn't quite have the tube all of the way filled, but it was close and it burned all of the pellets in about 4 hours. I think I got it going a little too much!  I'll get a torch so I can focus a flame on a smaller area to get it going next time.  It did give me lots of smoke though.  I am hoping it wasn't too much smoke.

Temps stayed below 90 the entire time, hovering mostly around 88.  I initially had a pan of ice on the bottom and added a second pan on the top grate.  I think with a less lit tube next time the temps will be a little lower. 

The cheese smoked for 3.5 hours and looked good when I pulled it off.  I used paper towels to get the sweat off of the cheese blocks then individually sealed each one with my food saver.  They are now in the fridge pending finally judgment mid to late next week.  I'll make sure to post an update once I give them a taste test.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
62-68 Avocado BAR-B-Q Kettle, Red ER SS Performer, Green DA SS Performer, Black EE three wheeler, 1 SJS, 1 Homer Simpson SJS,  AT Black 26er, 82 Kettle Gasser Deluxe, "A" code 18.5 MBH, M Code Tuck-n-Carry, P Code Go Anywhere, 2015 RANCH FREAKING KETTLE!!!!!!

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 02:45:38 PM »
Just got one of those for Christmas. Looking forward to your update.

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 03:57:03 PM »
Aw man, that looks great! Can't wait to hear how it turns out

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2016, 10:26:33 AM »
Looks great! You selling any of that cheese?  LOL!!!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2016, 10:29:08 AM »
Looks great! You selling any of that cheese?  LOL!!!

Actually with the high temps here in AZ there might be a good market for smoked cheese out here!  Hopefully if it turns out good we will have a few cool spurts so I can make more.  I can't see this going well once temps get above 60 degrees.  Might have to do a few middle of the night batches!

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 12:08:38 PM »
Really nice job Mike - you look like a pro already at the cheese [emoji106]
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

weldboy

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2016, 02:13:57 PM »
Looks phenomenal Mike!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2016, 02:32:46 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  I recommend that when you decide to try it, cut off the outside of the cheese that was exposed to the smoke. IMO, that part doesn't taste good. The rest of the cheese should have a nice mild smoke flavor. Looks like you have enough to try it both ways.

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 02:35:17 PM »
@MikeRocksTheRed  I recommend that when you decide to try it, cut off the outside of the cheese that was exposed to the smoke. IMO, that part doesn't taste good. The rest of the cheese should have a nice mild smoke flavor. Looks like you have enough to try it both ways.

That sounds like a great tip.  Thanks!  I have friends who like stuff as smokey as possible and lightly smoked, so I might have to do it differently depending on who is eating it!

@weldboy - Thanks!

MikeRocksTheRed

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2016, 07:14:59 AM »
Update:  The cheese came out awesome.  I think the pepper jack came out the best.  There is something about the mix of smoke and then the heat from the peppers kicking in that is amazing.  Of the 9 blocks I smoked, I have one left (I think).  @Davescprktl got one of the last blocks of monterey jack last week.   I am definitely looking forward to doing this again and already have 6 lbs of cheese in the fridge ready to go.  It will be interesting to see how it goes now that the day time temps are in the mid 80's.

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2016, 01:26:28 PM »
You can start the cheese in the evening and get it in the morning rather than worrying about daytime temps, it will be fine.

Also - refreeze the water in the ice tray and use smoked ice cubes for bloody Mary's or in a whiskey drink.

Big Dawg

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2016, 03:04:34 PM »
You can start the cheese in the evening and get it in the morning rather than worrying about daytime temps, it will be fine.

Also - refreeze the water in the ice tray and use smoked ice cubes for bloody Mary's or in a whiskey drink.

Now, that should make any scotch taste like it came from Islay ! !

BD
The Sultans of Swine
22.5 WSM - Fat Boy
22.5 OTG - Little Man/26.75 - Big Kahuna

Davescprktl

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2016, 07:38:48 PM »
Mikes cheese was awesome!  I felt no need to trim off the outside.  I like the smoke and did not find it bitter.  Nice smokey flavor.  I cut it in thin slices and paired it with a nice bottle of red...fantastic!
OKP Crimson, 22" H Code Brownie, SJS Lime, 22" CB Stacker, Red Q2200, Performer Deluxe CB slate blue

"If God didn't want us to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?"  H. Simpson