Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: B Code Clean Up  (Read 4864 times)

Santo

• WKC Brave
B Code Clean Up
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:02:11 AM »
I'm just now getting around to posting shots of a 22.5 MBH B Code that I cleaned up.  It's a CL find that was about an hour away and only a few pennies.  Unfortunately (or fortunately), no fascinating story or complicated restore with this one.  It's just a 35 year old kettle that needed some TLC.

Shot from the CL ad.  Gentleman didn't realize that "old Webers could be collectible."  For his own sake, I didn't go into a long explanation about this place.

Some before shots.  The main issues were that it was caked with past cooks on the inside, the bottom 3 daisy wheels were a bit out of shape, and a slight, even fade to fugrayzzi.  Other than that, the grill was well cared for and had all it's parts.  It needed more elbow grease than anything else.  I forgot to put the ash pan on for both before and after shots, but the original came with the grill.  It's the bent edge style. 

And the after shots.  A small sliver has rusted through in the area of the leg socket welds.  There was also a bit more rim rash (than anticipated) on the lid after cleaning it up.  The handle wasn't cracked and still held tight so I decided to just clean it up and refinish it (sorry Brian, @zavod44 .)  I went with a semi-gloss SPAR varnish on top of tung oil that came out shinier than I would have liked, but I'm fine with it.

The after shots were done in the shade so the bowl appears darker than the before shots.  It is still the same speckled fugrayzzi I picked up, I didn't use the Pam trick.  I also forgot an after shot of the bottom daisy wheels, but they came clean as well.  The grates were also in OK shape, I just didn't put them back in yet.  I may get a Craycort or MT setup for this kettle but I'm still on the fence.  It's nothing fancy or rare, but it was a good candidate to "restore" since I wouldn't be too upset if I muffed it up. 

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
Re: B Code Clean Up
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 11:06:17 AM »
You did a nice job there.  Great cookers for low'n'slow.  Enjoy!
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 11:42:03 AM »
No apologies, that looks great, really nice work.....kudos
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 11:55:02 AM »
great work!
Hotty Toddy!

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 03:33:24 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, fellas.
You did a nice job there.  Great cookers for low'n'slow.  Enjoy!
I planned on using it for low and slow, something I hope to do more often.

feeshrman

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 04:12:36 PM »
Looks great to me

Mozfan00

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 04:23:13 PM »
Sweet!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

22.5" 2013 Black Daily Cooker "AT" OTG
18.5" 2013 "Bud Light- Carne Asada" Promo kettle
22.5 "1983 Blue "E" OTS & 2002 "DU" SJ

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2015, 05:32:34 PM »
Great find and clean up!

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
Cleaned up real good, it looks great I love the orange peel look!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 07:06:35 PM »
Good looking B code! That original handle looks pretty sweet! I've got a couple kettles (A, B, and C code) that still have the original handles that have held up well.

Cochise

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 08:10:13 PM »
Good work Santo! That handle came out great.
SMOKE THIS!!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2015, 10:15:52 PM »
I've found that kettles of that particular color and that particular era can "take it" !!!   I use mine for pizza, ribs, Roti-chicken, you name it  ...  it's my dedicated Roti cooker and Pizza oven :)    You did a great cleanup  8)                          SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2015, 02:36:50 AM »
Fugrayzzi!

Love that!
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2015, 05:10:11 AM »
Again, thanks for the kind words!
Cleaned up real good, it looks great I love the orange peel look!
Thank you, I'm a big fan of the orange peel look as well.  It's so even it almost looks like it was by design.  It's technically still black, but the fade and peel make it just a bit more interesting.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2015, 05:15:22 AM »
Good looking B code! That original handle looks pretty sweet! I've got a couple kettles (A, B, and C code) that still have the original handles that have held up well.
I was drawn to it by the MBH, but the condition of the handle sold me.  My thought is that if I cleaned it up now, it will hopefully last another 35 years. 

Any photos of the A code? Did they have a small damper vent tab and metal wheels?