Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: B Code Clean Up  (Read 4865 times)

Santo

• WKC Brave
Re: B Code Clean Up
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2015, 05:20:55 AM »
I've found that kettles of that particular color and that particular era can "take it" !!!   I use mine for pizza, ribs, Roti-chicken, you name it  ...  it's my dedicated Roti cooker and Pizza oven :)    You did a great cleanup  8)                          SJ
I recall reading similar sentiments from others, so I figured this would be a worthy addition to my small collection.  The B code will get the nod for next pizza cook.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2015, 05:22:23 AM »
Fugrayzzi!

Love that!
Thanks, I may have to trademark that one [emoji16]

SixZeroFour

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2015, 07:10:27 AM »
Great job Santo! It really came back to life with the handle refresh and interior cleanup! Congrats!
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2015, 07:32:42 PM »
Much appreciated fellas, I'll be sure to throw some shots of the inaugural cook when I get to it.  Thanks again.

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2015, 06:17:16 PM »
Beautiful job. Did you just wash the handle or sand or a combination? Please share. The finished product is awesome and I would like to do something similar on my most recent score.

Santo

• WKC Brave
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2015, 11:07:53 AM »
Beautiful job. Did you just wash the handle or sand or a combination? Please share. The finished product is awesome and I would like to do something similar on my most recent score.

Sorry for the delay, didn't realize there was more replies.  I did not wash the handle to start.  There was no grease or dirt on it, just the old, weathered wood.  I started sanding with 220 grit (only 1 pass), then worked up to 1000.  Three coats of tung oil followed with three coats of semi gloss spar varnish after the tung oil.  In between spar coats, I wet sanded with 1000 grit (which probably wasn't necessary, but the final product is super smooth).  If I were to refinish an original handle again, I would consider drilling out the original rivets to refinish the undersides of the wood and get new hardware in there.  It would provide that little extra piece of mind knowing that the ENTIRE handle has been refinished.