Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."  (Read 7002 times)

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
Re: "Son, Rome wasn't built in a day."
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2015, 07:30:45 PM »

Thanks @OGlenn! It is actually a 5500, I believe. It is an awesome gasser. The thermal couple is a PITA, you can't fire up the Charcoal starter without having the box going... Chief was the start to this, so it is special.

I think it is a 5000, the 5500 was the built in version (It had a plinth under it rather than wheels). And it is fairly easy to remove/bypass the Flame check valve, which also lets you turn off the front burner if you wish, keeping the others on.

But hay...what a collection you have. I stand in awe.......

Thanks @vmile. I did take it apart. I think I would have to upgrade. Or can I just plug off? When time permits, I will have to take another gander at it.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 07:38:49 PM »
The collection is coming along nicely, Greg. Your dedication shows through all those kettles.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

vmile

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 10:01:01 PM »
Thanks @vmile. I did take it apart. I think I would have to upgrade. Or can I just plug off? When time permits, I will have to take another gander at it.

The flame check valve joins the gas inlet line to the manifold. Disconnect the gas line from the flame check valve, then unscrew the flame check valve from the manifold.
You then need a male/male adapter to join the gas line to the manifold.  No need to upgrade the manifold, just need to get the correct male/male adapter.

The Flame check button then sits nice and flat on the control cover.

The valves seem to fail over time (the button does not stay down), and Weber do not offer a replacement part as far as I can see. My main gasser is a 5000, and the flame check actually failed on it last month, so I have just done the 'mod'. I also have another 5000 as a spare, and when I bought that one, the owner told me that the Flame check did not work, but it was easy to work around,  "just sit half a brick on it".
That actually does work, but it's ugly.........

Jon

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 11:27:23 PM »
Wow! The grills are great.

Aside from that, you have an amazing back yard. And patio. And hammock. And woods. What a happy place.

glrasmussen

• WKC Performer
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 04:30:10 AM »
@vmile, thanks! When I ordered burner tubes, Weber CSR wondered how I had attained this 5000, she said the were the Cadillac. She had mentioned about the flame check and said to keep a rock handy to hold it down.

@Jon, thanks. Perennial gardens are my other hobby. Easy to maintain and your not constantly replanting every year.
They are enjoyable, but this year the deer have used them as feeding plots...

jkolantern

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2015, 06:45:37 AM »
Really incredible collection.  Lots of hard work pounding local craigslist and garage sales.....serious perseverance.

Yes Brian, a lot  of ground and pound to gather these. You understand.

Really cool.  I appreciate the effort too. To me, that's the fun of a collection-anybody can throw a checkbook at a problem. I don't have nearly the collection of grills, but they've all come home to me in the trunk or truck bed.  I also collect books, and while I've paid pretty good money (though always below what online sellers were asking) for some first editions on ebay, my favorites are the ones that I've found at church fairs, thrift stores and library sales.  The hunt and the story are as much/more fun as the item.

wyd

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2015, 09:49:37 AM »
Wow that is an impressive display. 
Platinum Performer Kettle (In Blue), OTG (In Blue)
Genesis Gasser (In Blue), Smokey Joe (Uline Lime)
Looking to buy (18.5 blue or brownie and blue lantern)

Craig

• WKC Mod
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 06:28:31 PM »
Greg that is one hell of an impressive collection! I envy your scenery. I also got a sneak peak at these photos and to see them all come together is pretty special. Rescue. Restore. Respect. At its finest!

Qreps

• WKC Brave
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »
Wow very impressive and such a beautiful setting. Your very blessed to have such a understanding wife.