Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Rotisserie question.  (Read 2715 times)

Bigdave

• Smokey Joe
Rotisserie question.
« on: July 28, 2015, 09:11:43 PM »
Is this the newer version of the Weber Rotisserie?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
Re: Rotisserie question.
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 09:23:52 PM »
Yes, its the newer version. The newer version has the bead at the bottom whereas the older ones have a straight wall with tack welded tabs to keep it on the kettle. It also looks like the lip is notched for the performer lid bale hardware.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »
I have a pair of Weber Roti's that have small tabs on the bottom to hold them on the kettle bottom.  This looks to have an entire external ring that "seals" the air leaks at that interface.  I guessing that this is the newer version.   GOOD choice.        SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

BluesDaddy

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
So, I get the preference for the newer version, but I have the older version and never had an issue. At the temp levels one generally does rotisserie, having a tight seal is really not an issue. I've done chickens, pork loins, lamb and beef rib roasts - all come out great with fine smoke flavor based on my use and amount of wood. Why are folks so fixated with the "lip" - or is it to use without the rotisserie itself as an "extender" for smoking?

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 03:10:34 PM »
My older rotis works well too, but I usually stuff about half of the circumference with aluminum foil to seal it up a bit better.  If a lipped bottom ring would seal up better, I'd happily trade up. 
One of the charcoal people.

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 03:32:16 PM »
So, I get the preference for the newer version, but I have the older version and never had an issue. At the temp levels one generally does rotisserie, having a tight seal is really not an issue. I've done chickens, pork loins, lamb and beef rib roasts - all come out great with fine smoke flavor based on my use and amount of wood. Why are folks so fixated with the "lip" - or is it to use without the rotisserie itself as an "extender" for smoking?

I totally agree with this statement but it's also possible to cook at lower temperatures on a roti to get 360deg even cooking.

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 08:50:19 PM »

I totally agree with this statement but it's also possible to cook at lower temperatures on a roti to get 360deg even cooking.

I've heard tell that a Thanksgiving Turkey, spun on a Roti, at about 225 - 250, turns out magnificently.  Without caulking around the base/roti seal on my rig, I can't control the air intake low enough to keep temps in that range.  Someday, with practice, in the snow of winter, with a stiff cold breeze, and all lower vents closed, well maybe, just maybe   ;)  :)  :D         SJ

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2015, 08:53:20 PM »
Use the snake!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
Great idea, I'll give it a try and let all know how it turned out on my particular setup   :)  :D  ;D        SJ