Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Starting a Charcoal Chimney  (Read 1934 times)

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
Starting a Charcoal Chimney
« on: July 24, 2015, 05:33:01 AM »
This is a subject that new cookers might like covered better. Lots of different methods from news paper, to hosing down with starter Fluid. I will cover my prefered method after years of starting charcoal, the Weber Cube.

Step #1 One Weber starter cube in a Tuna Can placed on the Kettle Charcoal Grate.
Ignite with a match etc.

Cube blazing a few seconds after lighting with a match.
Place the Weber Chimney over the Can with Cube at this point.

Weber Chimney blazing away after a few minutes.

It is just that simple. The Weber Starter Cubes range in price between $3.29 and $4.99 per 24 Cubes, depending where you buy them. At the highest price you are talking 21 cents per start up. Starting with a Weber Cube, the charcoal has no fuel or other different smell that I can detect. I have always used the Tuna Can to hold the Cube. Any Flat surface such as a can lid should work equally well.

Bob R

EricD

• WKC Brave
Re: Starting a Charcoal Chimney
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:41:48 AM »
Is that a full size chimney?  On mine, it looks like the 'paper-well' in the chimney is domed a lot higher than the tuna can would be able to reach.  That 3rd picture is just the tuna can sitting on the grate?
I'm getting some of these cubes.  I started another thread about different options for starting and the Cubes were recommended by almost everyone!
22" Kettle black, 18" Kettle black,Genesis S-310 Stainless Gasser, Genesis Silver Edition Gasser, 22" Weber Smoky Mountain, 28" Blackstone Griddle, Blackstone Pizza oven, Maverick ET-732
ThermaPop, Grillaholics Grill Mat, PizzaQue, Kettle Rotiserrie

TheDude

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 11:01:15 AM »
I picked up some cubes after that thread myself. I use a full size chimney, and a single cube directly on the grate worked fine. Much better than newspaper IMO.
Still need a 22” yellow

charred

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 04:16:30 PM »
I use the cubes in the wood stove during wood-burning season- I love them.

For cooking on the Webers, I converted to the Harbor Freight weed burner method a couple of years ago and find it the best/quickest way overall to light a chimney or get the WSMs going. Since I already had a few LP tanks, the only expenditure was $15 for the contraption.

And, it's fun!  ;D

hopelessly, helplessly, happily addicted to a shipload of Webers

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2015, 04:32:57 PM »
EricD
That is the Big Weber Chimney. I have 4 or 5 of them from new to a few years old. All are exactly the same. It is app. 4.5 inches to the top of the wire dome. That is not a problem. I have never had the chimney full of briquettes fail to start with one cube.
As you can see in the second picture the Cube is blazing away pretty impressively.
When the charcoal is ready the cube is totally burned out.
You will need to add tuna to your menue to get a fresh can every month or so. They will rust out fairly rapidly. If you cook infront of the public, a new can looks much better than a rusty one also.

Bob R

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2015, 04:35:37 PM »
nice post Bob R
I have not used the cubes yet, but am thinking about them, I think after seeing the way you use them I will try
My worry has always been flavor
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

hoochiemama

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2015, 06:14:32 PM »
Cubes are the way to go!  I started out with newspaper but didn't like the ash flying all over. Although not sure I understand the tuna can?  I usually just put them right on the grate.

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
cubes are the way to go for me can't have flying ashes all over the place to much of a fire risk
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

MacEggs

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2015, 07:44:17 AM »
Great write-up, @Bob R .  I have used these cubes a few times with great success.  Got some from a rescue.

I generally go with the Harbor Freight weed-burner route, and lately, the Performer route.  I have also used Doritos:

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/used-some-doritos-to-get-charcoal-going/
Q: How do you know something is bull$h!t?
A: When you are not allowed to question it.

lemisfits

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 07:55:26 AM »
I use cubes all the time too, but why do you use a tuna can?
Looking for a lime or imperial blue...in my dreams.

Idahawk

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 08:04:19 AM »
I drop the cube right in the chimney, cover with charcoal and light from the bottom .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Wanted plum/burgundy 18.5
WTB Color Copies of old Weber Catalogs

tfellows

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2015, 10:30:50 AM »
I don't even use a can to hold my cube, just position them right and they'll sit right on the grate.

Bob R

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2015, 03:04:25 PM »
I have always used the can to hold the cube. It seemed like a good idea to me. I do not always start the chimney on the charcoal grate either. I grill alot, but I also do a lot of Dutch Oven cooking where I start the chimney on my steel table or other locations.

Bob R 

brettbrown

• WKC Brave
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2015, 08:50:32 PM »
I use the cubes too. They work great. I do put the cube on top of 1 piece of charcoal when I light it. I guess I just thought the cube would shrink  and fall through the grate.