Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: jumbo Joe new style.....  (Read 1439 times)

Cookingmama

• WKC Ranger
jumbo Joe new style.....
« on: July 22, 2015, 07:04:15 PM »
First I apologize....it seems like every time I try to come back and hang out Life has other plans.  Still dealing with the flooded basement. ..not fun. 

But Weber stuffs..... I found a new style jumbo Joe on CL for 30$.  He's not coming down and yes it is used.  How is spacing on them?  I have never had an original So don't have a comparison to that.  I have a sj that we like to use for sausages and dogs.....we also toast the buns and sometimes throw a tiny cast iron to hold some chili.  Yes.....all that on a smokey Joe lol.

how much bigger is the jj.....the new style looks small to me.  Will it be a noticeable difference from the sj?  How is air flow?
ribs pre-boiling & reaching for the lighter fluid!

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
Re: jumbo Joe new style.....
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 07:24:55 PM »
Sorry to hear about the flooding issues. A jumbo Joe is 18 inches the same size as a smaller kettle. Its nice to have the extra room over the standard Joe it allows for better indirect usage. I have one im putting together this weekend. Excited to get cooking on it.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

AcrossFromHoss

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 07:26:38 PM »
A standard Joe is 14 inches to help compare.
"Seeing pictures of a nice steak without viewing the middle is like seeing a nice pair of tits in a bra. You tease!!!!"
 22.5 black OTG kettle, 18.5 WSM, Jumbo Joe

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 08:29:36 PM »
A standard Joe is 14 inches to help compare.

It's a little hard to imagine area changes vs diameter as the available cooking area goes up with the square of the radius. An easier way to think about it since you have a 22 and a SJ is that if your cook is too big for the SJ, but too small for the 22, then the 18" will be  just right. Like baby bear, lol. The new style looks small because it's short relative to it's diameter unlike the other kettles which have a much deeper bowl. Anyways, what are you trying to achieve with the JJ? If you are looking for a larger portable grill then it may be right for you. It also allows you to save some charcoal when doing indirect cooks that are too big for the SJ.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

demosthenes9

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 10:31:17 PM »
mama, just a heads up, but I think that JJ might be missing the lid support arm that the carry handle locks into to make a lid bale.  Can't tell for sure as there's no clean shots of both sides.   But in the 4 pics they do have up, it's not visible.

Also, if you want, I'll loan you my JJ for a while so you can try it out and see if you like it.  I don't have any plans for it until October, so you'll have plenty of time to use it.   I'm in the Hike's Point area if you are interested.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2015, 10:36:12 PM by demosthenes9 »