Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: 18.5 WSM Modded  (Read 5148 times)

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
18.5 WSM Modded
« on: July 20, 2015, 08:14:39 PM »
Made some changes to my 18 WSM today. Check it out

Went with the knobs instead of handles. I installed 4 knobs cuz I thought it was more aesthetically pleasing.

Installed casters on the legs. Waiting on the new legs to get here from Weber but wanted to test the mod on the old legs just in case i run into issues. It came out perfect and was easy as drilling holes.

With the new cover

Redhead SS Performer w/cajun bandit stacker
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
Re: 18.5 WSM Modded
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:34:26 PM »
Nice looking mods, just don't grab the knobs bare handed when you are cooking!
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2015, 10:05:56 PM »
So many projects to complete before I can start upgrading my WSM  :(    Your mods look really clean.

What size is the temp Probe fitting?  What did you use for the body of the probe hole, it looks too big for the Cajun Bandit option and yet I don't see any external nut?

How stable is the WSM when you roll it around on your decking and when your smoking  ...  I'm really tired of schlepping that whole thing in piece-parts?   

Did I mention how much I LIKE your mod's ???      SJ
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 06:52:46 AM »
Nice looking mods, just don't grab the knobs bare handed when you are cooking!

I'm aware of the hot handles already. I usually always have gloves on when handling the smoker while in use.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 07:00:11 AM »
So many projects to complete before I can start upgrading my WSM  :(    Your mods look really clean.

What size is the temp Probe fitting?  What did you use for the body of the probe hole, it looks too big for the Cajun Bandit option and yet I don't see any external nut?

How stable is the WSM when you roll it around on your decking and when your smoking  ...  I'm really tired of schlepping that whole thing in piece-parts?   

Did I mention how much I LIKE your mod's ???      SJ

The temp probe fitting is 3/8 and it was the Cajun Bandit gromet. I had an extra one when I ordered the CB stacker for my 22.5 kettle. I use the Maverick 733 so im able to fit both probes into the 3/8 hole. The smoker is pretty stable on the casters but I would recommend always using 2 hands when moving it and hold on to the body and not the lid handle. Not sure which year model your cooker is but mine was the pre-2009 so the legs are pretty much straight up and down. I ordered the newer style legs from weber which are flared at the bottom so it has a wider stance making it more stable.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2015, 09:37:17 AM »
JayCee,  Thanks for the oh so useful feedback.

Great info  ...  I would have already ordered the Cajun B grommet but their sales info said specifically that it wouldn't work w/ my Mav ET-733  ...  go figure.   My WSM has a vent code of 'DU' (2002) so it has the long straight legs (normally that's a real plus, no).  I'll order the newer legs before I add the casters.  This WSM is definitely a keeper, it's so stable at L&S cooks that it doesn't even need an ATC   ;D

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2015, 10:52:47 AM »

Great info  ...  I would have already ordered the Cajun B grommet but their sales info said specifically that it wouldn't work w/ my Mav ET-733  ...  go figure.   My WSM has a vent code of 'DU' (2002) so it has the long straight legs (normally that's a real plus, no).  I'll order the newer legs before I add the casters.  This WSM is definitely a keeper, it's so stable at L&S cooks that it doesn't even need an ATC   ;D

If yours s a 2002 then you already have the newer legs. Does your WSM have a heat shield that sits in between the legs?
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2015, 02:08:16 PM »
No heat shield.  I know it's confusing, 2002 is before the dome thermo, new leg style, and way way before the probe port (it may be older than yours :) ).      SJ

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 02:29:12 PM »
Nice mods. What cover is that?
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2015, 05:53:30 PM »

If yours s a 2002 then you already have the newer legs. Does your WSM have a heat shield that sits in between the legs?

I was mistaken. I don;t know why i was thinking 1999 but it was indeed 2009 so you don't have the newer style WSM
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2015, 05:54:29 PM »
No heat shield.  I know it's confusing, 2002 is before the dome thermo, new leg style, and way way before the probe port (it may be older than yours :) ).      SJ

Mine was a 2004. Thanks for correcting.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2015, 05:56:28 PM »

Its this one. Was going to get the Weber but read they were pretty cheap and not made well so I opted for this one. It was the same price as the original Weber. Keep in mind its a slim fitting cover. It just barely clears my knobs on the mid section but the cover itself is made pretty durable. Feels like canvas sumbrella type material.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGO54AS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 06:08:10 PM by jaycee213 »
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

jaycee213

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2015, 06:04:12 PM »

On the Cajun Bandit website it states the 1/4" grommet is not compatible with the Mav ET-732. Probes on the 732 are L shaped but the 733 are straight like a pencil so you're able to put both probes through. you could probably get away with the 1/4" grommet with the 733 and this way it would be the smaller hole.
Weber Q 320
WSM 18.5

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »

Its this one. Was going to get the Weber but read they were pretty cheap and not made well so I opted for this one. It was the same price as the original Weber. Keep in mind its a slim fitting cover. It just barely clears my knobs on the mid section but the cover itself is made pretty durable. Feels like canvas sumbrella type material.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NGO54AS?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00

Thanks. Looks quite nice!
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Tommy B

• WKC Brave
    • @tommybrooker
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2015, 09:19:11 AM »
dumb question here:

what do you use the knobs for?
Hotty Toddy!