Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: My 1st brisket (flat only)  (Read 2124 times)

Nate

• WKC Ranger
My 1st brisket (flat only)
« on: June 28, 2015, 04:19:41 PM »
Finally tried bbq'n a brisket today. It was a 4.75lb flat. The bark, I feel, could have been better but overall the brisket is good. A pencil width slice holds its own weight and pulls apart with a gentile tug. My wife likes sauce so she made up some very tasty bbq sauce.

It was seasoned with only kosher salt and coarse black pepper I ground up with the mortor and pestle. I did that last night because I didn't want to deal with it this morning. Maybe that had something to do with how the bark turned out. I learned a lot from this cook.

Anyways, on the wsm at 6a.

Just before I foil wrapped it. IT was 170. Time 12p.

Left the house to pick this up to put the wsm on.

Probe tender 1 hour 45 min later. IT 208. Let it rest for 45 min and this is what I get.

MrHoss

• WKC Performer
Re: My 1st brisket (flat only)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 04:49:03 PM »
Love your setup. Brisket gets better with practice.....yours looks fine for a 1st shot.
"Why do you have so many bbq's?"....."I just like lookin' at em' sometimes....and I have enough purses and shoes"

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 09:26:13 PM »
Your yard looks like it could be used for a Weber ad!   The Brisket looks tasty and if tastes good it's all good!  I love the "wood" table on the Performer! ;D
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 04:11:47 AM »
Looks great! I'd say you did well for a first try.

Matt_T

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2015, 10:19:23 AM »
Nailed it! Pursue perfection but enjoy the journey - and that right there is some good looking brisket. Now go cut that pineapple up and make dessert!
Keep it simple stupid

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 04:53:42 PM »
Looks great to me! It's been a good while since I've done a brisket and I'm overdue, but the steam environment of the foil can soften up a bark in my experience. Wrap it to get it through the stall, then let it finish for an hour unwrapped to bring the bark back.

I also want to try the Aaron Franklin pink butcher paper wrap... Mike bought some http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/how-do-you-like-your-ribs/msg156701/#msg156701

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 05:00:26 PM »
Nice job and love the back patio look.

My first brisket flat hit the stall at 180 and dropped to 170 for 3.5hrs..
Thought i broke records without a stall..hit it at 180??

Thats a nice gen2 performer...reminds me not tobsell mine.

How will you setup the 18.5" wsm on the gen2?
Grills

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 02:55:02 PM »

I also want to try the Aaron Franklin pink butcher paper wrap... Mike bought some http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/how-do-you-like-your-ribs/msg156701/#msg156701

I wanted to use the butcher paper but didn't have time to order any. Next time it will be wrapped in butcher paper.

Nate

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 02:58:57 PM »

How will you setup the 18.5" wsm on the gen2?

On second thought, I think I'm just going to modify my Geni 1000 frame for the WSM. Just not sure if I should mount it in the middle or on the side of the frame. As for the performer, I think I'm just going to order a table top and igniter button. Maybe do a carbon fiber wrap on the stainless panel like 604.