Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Shining the top of the lid  (Read 1253 times)

Dock_rat

• Smokey Joe
Shining the top of the lid
« on: May 31, 2015, 06:34:31 PM »
looking for ideas for cleaning and shining the kettle lit. The neighbor has me using WD-40 when it's hot and it seems to work, but wondering about any better ideas.  :-\

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Shining the top of the lid
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2015, 07:34:09 PM »
WD's an OK way to go, but the chemical smell kinda gets to me.....maybe test out just some dish soap & very fine
(#0000) steel wool.....that's worked well for lots of folks & I think it may leave less chance for residue when you're done.....lite wipe with water (dampened cloth is good) when done to clear any soap...........
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2015, 07:57:15 PM »
WD's an OK way to go, but the chemical smell kinda gets to me.....maybe test out just some dish soap & very fine
(#0000) steel wool.....that's worked well for lots of folks & I think it may leave less chance for residue when you're done.....lite wipe with water (dampened cloth is good) when done to clear any soap...........
This is what i do and it works for me.
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2015, 07:58:42 PM »
Some kettles are shinier than others. Members have had success bringing some color and lustre back with flaxseed oil then firing up the grill. It's like a mini seasoning session like they do with Cast iron. You can also try some automotive waxes or sealant to get the shine you are looking for. The results and durability may vary with each product so test a inconspicuous area first.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791