Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Weber "Sear Grate" Reviews?  (Read 5169 times)

Jason

• WKC Ranger
Weber "Sear Grate" Reviews?
« on: May 08, 2015, 05:34:42 PM »
I stopped at Lowes today and saw these on clearance. There was only one, that I could see, so I went ahead and bought it.

The grate that this fits into is already pretty beefy, so not sure if it's worth having extra pieces to keep track of.

Before I open the box and commit to keeping it, I was hoping to get some feedback from those that have actually used it.

Thoughts?

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Weber "Sear Grate" Reviews?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
Some people like it some don't.  I have used mine a couple of times and my thoughts are meh, it's alright.  I am head over heals for the wok though.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2015, 06:39:00 PM »
If you enjoy having those nice beefy grill marks on your meat, its well worth it (especially at that price).

If you're going to consider returning it, I'd first offer it to fellow WKCer's in your area.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2015, 09:02:53 PM »
I use mine. I like it. I don't use it in the gourmet grate tho. I not a fan of how it's in the middle and how that cuts down on my heat zone options.  I fill charcoal baskets full and spread em about an inch apart in the back of the kettle and place the grate right above it. That gives me 3 zones instead of just 2. Works for me.

I should say I don't use it all the time. If it's just me and the wife I don't bother. I usually pull it out for guests because the presentation is a bit more impressive. You can accomplish the same result with a 45 turn but it won't be as effortless as it is with the sear grate. It is small. Can't get more than 3 medium ribeyes on it. Maybe 4 NY strips.

I'm still looking for a clearance ableskiver pan. Fingers crossed...
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 04:38:47 AM »
I also hear that people didn't like the fact that the holes were too large. Reviewers seem to give it 3 out of 5 starts, that has kept me away. Though I would buy it at that price. Would be nice to have the pieces like a kit. You know someday they will discontinue this. I bought the grate on sale at Lowe's last year and the griddle was on clearance I should sale, not sale.
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 05:57:08 AM »
Yes, it's best for larger steaks probably.

At that price I wouldn't hesitate, since I already have the GBS grate for it. Weird, your Lowe's must have tried carrying it to see what would happen; it's not normally carried in their stores.

It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

Jason

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 06:38:21 AM »
Weird, your Lowe's must have tried carrying it to see what would happen; it's not normally carried in their stores.

I bought the base grate there too, on clearance, several months ago. The box for the sear grate was incredibly dusty and looked like nobody touched it for a long time. At $34.99, I think it's just too much $$$ for most people (me too  ;D ) to try it out. I always look for the yellow clearance stickers every time I go!  8)

crumbsnatcher

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 07:35:53 AM »
I love mine, but would have to agree that I don't like the spacing of the cross marks also.   I got mine for like $12 so it's well worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2015, 08:36:10 AM »
I just picked one of those up on clearance at Lowe's last night, also. It didn't have a price tag anywhere near it, and the manager couldn't find it in the system, so he marked it $5... I took it to the register, and it rang up @ $20.99.... of course, they honored the $5. I got lucky! I already have one, and definitely like it for the sear marks. Just wish it wasn't placed right in the middle of the grate, is my only beef ::) with it...

They had the Gourmet Poultry Roaster (8838) on clearance for $34.99. Those ones were definitely labeled w/ a price tag, so I chose not to grab one... yet.
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2015, 04:17:32 PM »
Wow. That's a steal for that CI grate.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

jimmy_dong

• WKC Brave
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2015, 05:15:21 PM »
have the CI grate, MEH. its alright. i usually fire it up for the ol lady and myself. it is small, cooking for a crowd would be terrible on it.

also have the wok. MEH. ol lady got it for me for x mas, so i have to adore it......right? the textured finish tends to be sticky if not careful.

i do have a real wok that fits perfectly in the hole of the grate system. talk about HOT.

toolhead

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2015, 08:06:13 AM »
Ibhad the gourmet grate system and returned it...just not enough surface area.

I do have an unused older ci sear grate...the rectangular one that is much larger.
Grills