Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Jumping in finally  (Read 3741 times)

Grizz

• WKC Brave
Jumping in finally
« on: May 04, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
Well, after much hemming and hawing, the better half finally convinced me to use a gift card her dad gave us last year to buy a copper performer deluxe.  So, any tips on what I need to do after it is together?  I've heard of wiping everything down with flaxseed, bowl, lid, grates, one touch system, and then lighting a good size fire to season everything.  Is that about right?

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
Re: Jumping in finally
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
Whoa there, grasshopper, yon Weber is not a faint daisy requiring secret incantations and magical elixirs to produce joy and wonder.

The kettle and lid is porcelain steel. It doesn't need, nor benefit from, "seasoning" in any traditional sense. And if you put oil on the ash sweepers you may just find them aflame one day. That's my 2 cents.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 09:40:49 AM »
Id recommend a full chimney burn off. Hit the grate with a brush and get to cookin
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 01:42:09 PM »
I'm more with ATS on this one. Once you get it together the only thing left to do is cook on it!
Doing a burn off fire makes sense, but I don't know if I could resist throwing some burgers or something on there once that fire was going.

Congrats on the new grill and post some picks!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 02:30:45 PM »
So no soaping it down inside and out to cast off the factory residue?   Dang, have I been read I got the wrong inter webs!

chefn58

• WKC Brave
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »
I burn mine off for 15 minutes or so and get cookin on it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Searching for a Blue 18" MBH

Mark Schnell

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 04:33:53 PM »
Yep, get on it, Grizz. Light that candle and throw some flesh on it. Just get it bangin' hot before and there won't be anything left that'll hurt ya. Have fun!!

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 06:32:59 PM »
Grizz, you'll know when you fire it up hot. Does it stink? If so, don't put food on it yet. My guess is that unless a squirrel jumped in, you won't smell anything unusual.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

mirkwood

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 07:19:35 PM »
Get her hot and cook something you have been jonesing for, nice t-bone maybe or tasty pork chops, burgers, shrimp..
You get the idea and DO NOT CLEAN IT UP AFTERWARDS, let the residue build up and seal the cooker up so you can
get onto the low and slow cooks that can become family legend..
AT Q 220 / CN Jumbo Joe / DZ 22 OTG / DZ 18.5 WSM / C&B AD Grass Green Performer Platinum / AD Dark Blue Performer Platinum / Black AD Performer Platinum / AD Charcoal Go Anywhere / P code Charcoal Go Anywhere

Welcome to the WKC, it's more than just a web site..

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2015, 02:52:30 AM »
Thanks for all the replies!  Just got the word from Amazon that the grill will be here tomorrow!  Only downside is the bells and whistles package (20 lb adapter hose, Chimney, sear grate and griddle) that I ordered to go along with it hasn't shipped yet :-/

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2015, 03:50:19 AM »
you're going to love it.  congrats!
I only use kettles with lid bales.

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2015, 06:50:40 AM »
@Grizz you had me worried for a second. I've cooked on every new kettle i've ever purchased, right out of the box, and never thought twice about it.
May The Smoke Be With You!

Grizz

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 06:52:59 AM »
Yeah, I tend to over think things sometimes...

CharliefromLI

• WKC Ranger
    • Long Island Weber Club
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 07:10:32 AM »
I just got a performer deluxe and had a very specific 5 step scientific procedure for first cook:
1. Fill Chimney
2. Light Gas assist under chimney
3. Dump Chimney
4. Add best cut of steak i could get my hands on
5. Cry tears of joy with first bite as i was overcome with joy at how great my new performer and this amazing steak are :'( :D

In all seriousness i agree with above. letting the grill and grates preheat for a few minutes as most people due for all cooks would burn off any "residue". The worst residue i've ever seen on any of my new webers was maybe some very light dust and that probably a replacement grate.

If you are waiting on your 20lb adapter hose. in the mean time you can grab a 1lb disposable tank from HD, lowes, walmart you name it. The plumbers torch or camping bottles both work. I always thought i would use a 20lb tank since we always have extras around for my genesis but i've been using the 1 pounder so far and i think i might stick with it. you go through so little propane and they are so cheap that i dont know that i need the conversion. The idea of having to move the tank every time i move the grill is another factor too.

You will love the new Performer, make the first cook a good one!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 07:33:28 AM by CharliefromLI »
Starting LineUp: Summit Charcoal Grilling Center, Ranch Kettle, Genesis E310, SJ Gold MiniWSM, the JETTLE,
Alumni: Performer Dlx, 22.5" WSM, 26" OTG, 18.5" WSM, 22" OTP

jmwhite

• Happy Cooker
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 08:25:17 AM »
I too went with the Copper Performer Deluxe this year.  Just fire it up...get it nice and hot and cook something greesy.  Burgers or chicken wings will do.

I just helped my father-in-law put together a 2014 Performer and the little upgrades mine has that his does not were noticeable.  Thicker grates, lid bale allows to open her wide.  Heat deflector on the lid handle and the metal table top are all useful upgrades.