Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Ranch Mothership Slide-Aside Lid Mod  (Read 8351 times)

SixZeroFour

Ranch Mothership Slide-Aside Lid Mod
« on: April 28, 2015, 10:40:56 AM »
For a month or so now Winz and I have been trying to come up with a solution to having to rest the giant old ranch lids on the ground every time you need access to the cooking grate. We both wanted something that was as minimalistic as possible as they already take up a significant amount of patio space.

I ended up doing a little experimenting with a Weber #8411 Slide Aside Lid Holder for a 22". This guy here:

The plan was to make a larger copy of the same item but after taking a good look and messing around with it for awhile I decided to try bending the existing holder so that it was better suited to hold the giant saucer of the Ranch. Sure enough with some force you can bend it fairly easily and with the additional help of pliers I was also able to bend the hanging hooks into the correct position so that they do not interfere with lid when covered. The hooks themselves are pressed onto the rack and swivel which is brilliant and makes for a nice fit on any side bowl rim.

Really I just stretched the holder so it was wider, and then kept test fitting and bending as I went. This is about as vertical as you can get the lid before it would start to interfere with the handle. Don't think I'd use it on a super windy day but it's actually quite solid. The only thing I might consider adding is some high heat gasket or something on the two high tips of the holder where is rests against the lid so that its not metal on metal. Seems to be fine as-is but over time it might cause a light scratch like a performer lid bale can if used roughly.

EDIT:: I bet this would stuff be perfect!... just dip the top 2" so it gets rubber coated. Will post results later this week...

So here she is... the worlds largest MT? ;) 8) (Excuse the missing handles - way too wet of late to leave them on.

There are probably other tweaks to make it even better but it's really unobtrusive and can be removed in seconds.

- Six

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:44:38 AM by SixZeroFour »
W E B E R    B A R - B - Q    K E T T L E

Craig

• WKC Mod
Re: Ranch Mothership Slide-Aside Lid Mod
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 10:43:34 AM »
Nice work, @SixZeroFour ! Now I know that when I find a mothership someday I'll be able to do this!

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:52:53 AM »
Looks great! Be careful with that lid though, it would be unfortunace if it got a boo-boo. @SixZeroFour I've plastidipped a lidbale before: http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/weber-kettles-accessories/working-on-ss-performers-gummi-bear-build-log-pic-heavy/msg70420/#msg70420 unfortunately my pics are dead. lmk if you need tips on dipping the assembly.
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Winz

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »
Awesome job Matt!  Can't wait to set mine up the same way.  Looks completely stock.

@Golly   Check it out!

Winz
In an ongoing relationship with a kettle named Bisbee.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 02:23:30 PM »
now that is RADASS!!

I need to find an old ranch!!! I'd give up a few grills for one ;)

MINIgrillin

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:32:20 PM »
That's a simple practical mod. Well done.

I'm with Troy. I'd give up a few for a ranch. Just for the wow factor it would bring.
Seville. CnB performer:blue,green,gray. 26r. 18otg. Karubeque C-60.

Sramsey

• WKC Brave
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 03:54:08 PM »
Nice mod. The plastic dip is a great idea. Been thinking of what I can do to protect my lid from marking
Own: 14' Black Performer Silver , Retiring 06' Black OTG.

SixZeroFour

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2015, 03:58:10 PM »
I need to find an old ranch!!! I'd give up a few grills for one ;)

Don't tease me like that Troy ;D ... And your "lime" 18 won't fool me this time around lol 8)

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2015, 03:58:49 PM »
I see an accident waiting to happen.
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

SmokenJoe

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2015, 04:17:25 PM »
That is a truly beautiful kettle, congrats.
"Too Beef, or Not too Beef" ...

Looking for Dark Blue MBH 22", Dark Green MBH 22", Yellow MBH 22", Glen Blue MBH 22", Avocado MBH 22".

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 04:39:57 PM »
I see an accident waiting to happen.

One wind gust and the lid may take flight like a frisbee... :o
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

ramsfan

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 04:45:40 PM »
Looks nice, but the way that lid is sitting so far back, I would be afraid of it tipping the whole thing backwards?
This is the original Weber kettle. The most powerful bbq grill in the world and can blow your taste-buds clean off! So, you have to ask yourself one question: "Do you feel hungry? Well, do you punk?"

SixZeroFour

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 05:12:36 PM »
Looks nice, but the way that lid is sitting so far back, I would be afraid of it tipping the whole thing backwards?

Not going to happen... The kettle sits very low to the ground and the bowl section weighs a ton. It would take one crazy gust of wind to get it to flip - I bet the cooking grate alone weighs more than a fully outfitted 22.5" OTG ;D

I'd like to think most folks are smart enough to determine when and when not to use the lid holder 8) This is BBQ, not kite surfing :)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2015, 03:20:58 AM »

I'd like to think most folks are smart enough to determine when and when not to use the lid holder 8) This is BBQ, not kite surfing :)

You mean common sense exists at the WKC?
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1911Ron

• WKC Performer
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2015, 06:24:24 AM »

You mean common sense exists at the WKC?
Read the last line in my tagline! ;D  Sixzerofour that mod looks great!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 06:26:31 AM by 1911Ron »
Wanted: 18" Platinum any color will work
This is my Kettle there are many like it but this one is mine......