Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: how to test the Vortex  (Read 6629 times)

Troy

• Statesman
how to test the Vortex
« on: March 30, 2015, 10:42:22 PM »
The folks over at searandsmoke.com were kind enough to send a Vortex my way for thorough WKC testing and review.

I currently plan to do the following head to head comparisons:
high heat indirect wings
high heat direct temp/energy tests
infrared/indirect beer can chicken
infrared/indirect temp/energy test

For high heat, I plan to head to head with the standard Weber baskets to see how they compare.
For infra/indirect, I don't know if I should just use nothing, or try to use fire bricks.

I plan to use equivalent grills, side by side. Same vent settings. Exact same number of briquettes lit exactly the same way.

Any thoughts or ideas?

Oh, they actually sent multiple units - so there will be a giveaway when the review launches ;)

LightningBoldtz

• WKC Ambassador
Re: how to test the Vortex
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:07:30 AM »
Thin steaks

Charcoal baskets vs vortex

this is what Craig from amazing ribs does.
I am not a collector, but I do have a small collection.
"You can have everything in life you want if you will just help enough other people get what they want"

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:20:45 AM »
I think for me I'd be more interest in just the temps and the temps of the different zones, than in a cooked food comparison.  Like for me I'd love to know how hot the grate was over the vortex, and to the outside of it, compared to say just a pile of charcoal in the middle of the grill with the same temps. 

I'd also love to see like a ease of set up, how long it lasted, temp comparison, of doing a regular snake vs using the vortex to pile your coals along its outside edge.

*edit*

Just to clarify why I don't think a food comparison is that important.  I think you have way too many variables in a piece of meat to guarantee you're getting the same result IMHO.  Though I do think some thoughts on cooking on it would be awesome as well. 

I just some times find it unfair when you see stuff like "Oh we cooked both briskets for the same amount of time, in the exact same way and this one was tender and this one was tough, so it must be the equipment!"  When it could have also been the brisket itself, and maybe one needed more or less cooking time than the other. 
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:23:13 AM by Johnpv »

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 03:51:12 AM »
Some good ideas above, as far as the indirect, I'd go with no fire bricks. It seems to be the more common way people set up. Or maybe just the way I setup, so I'm a little biased.

Can't wait to see the reviews.

dwnthehatch

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:44:00 AM »
I can't wait for your review to learn some uses for it. I bought one and was surprised how fast the buried the needle on my dome thermometer with a full chimney of charcoal. It was 25 degrees out and took less than 10 seconds to bury the needle. I was actually worried about my porcelain popping due to the rapid temp change. I have only used it on wings and steak so far. I can vouch for it's durability, I dropped a cast iron dutch oven lid on it from waist level and it barely got dinged.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 07:21:17 AM »
Thin steaks

Charcoal baskets vs vortex

this is what Craig from amazing ribs does.

I've done that quite a bit, especially for tuna steaks.
Now that I have coshell, I don't need to use that trick though. I can get my entire 26" kettle that hot (and its scary)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 07:27:31 AM »
I think for me I'd be more interest in just the temps and the temps of the different zones, than in a cooked food comparison.  Like for me I'd love to know how hot the grate was over the vortex, and to the outside of it, compared to say just a pile of charcoal in the middle of the grill with the same temps. 

I'd also love to see like a ease of set up, how long it lasted, temp comparison, of doing a regular snake vs using the vortex to pile your coals along its outside edge.

*edit*

Just to clarify why I don't think a food comparison is that important.  I think you have way too many variables in a piece of meat to guarantee you're getting the same result IMHO.  Though I do think some thoughts on cooking on it would be awesome as well. 

I just some times find it unfair when you see stuff like "Oh we cooked both briskets for the same amount of time, in the exact same way and this one was tender and this one was tough, so it must be the equipment!"  When it could have also been the brisket itself, and maybe one needed more or less cooking time than the other.

Totally. I plan to make it as scientific as possible.
During the wing cook, i'll be taking temps in the indirect zone. BUT, not all heat is created equal. I need to test the high/indirect aspect to see if there's really any difference in food and texture.
All wings will be seasoned the same, and there will be a group of people doing the BLIND taste testing. I think chicken wings will be consistent enough, unlike brisket and butts where every piece can be drastically different. Wing judgement will mostly be skin and texture. If anyone claims A tastes better than B, I'll throw out their data and kick them out out my wing party :)

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:28:54 AM »
Some good ideas above, as far as the indirect, I'd go with no fire bricks. It seems to be the more common way people set up. Or maybe just the way I setup, so I'm a little biased.

Can't wait to see the reviews.

Good point. In reality, I don't even have any firebricks anymore. I left them behind 2 years ago when I moved to California, and I never replaced them.
I really don't have a use for them anymore.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:33:15 AM »
I can't wait for your review to learn some uses for it. I bought one and was surprised how fast the buried the needle on my dome thermometer with a full chimney of charcoal. It was 25 degrees out and took less than 10 seconds to bury the needle. I was actually worried about my porcelain popping due to the rapid temp change. I have only used it on wings and steak so far. I can vouch for it's durability, I dropped a cast iron dutch oven lid on it from waist level and it barely got dinged.

Nice! I was pleasantly surprised on how heavy and thick these things are.

A full chimney of coshell will peg the thermo in my 26, even with the cast iron grates.
I'm wondering if I need to test with kingsford instead, just to make the tests more similar to how most people will use.

THUNDERDOME

• WKC Brave
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:41:11 AM »
Lookin fwd to this Troy!

I'd really to see the high heat indirect side by side (temps, time, and appearance)

Also the difference between banking coals w/o the Vortex vs. with the Vortex and how much rotation of food is or isn't needed.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 10:00:37 AM by THUNDERDOME »

Johnpv

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 10:22:49 AM »

*edit*

Totally. I plan to make it as scientific as possible.
During the wing cook, i'll be taking temps in the indirect zone. BUT, not all heat is created equal. I need to test the high/indirect aspect to see if there's really any difference in food and texture.
All wings will be seasoned the same, and there will be a group of people doing the BLIND taste testing. I think chicken wings will be consistent enough, unlike brisket and butts where every piece can be drastically different. Wing judgement will mostly be skin and texture. If anyone claims A tastes better than B, I'll throw out their data and kick them out out my wing party :)

Ain't no party like a Troy wing party!

mrbill

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 01:50:53 PM »

cuz a Troy wing party don't stawp!

just had a thought you may try. how about a test to see how long and hot it'll burn minion style(ie-almost fill cone w/unlit coals, then toss a few lit on top). see how hot it'll get, how long it takes to get there and how long it stays there.
Seeking New York Giants MT For A Price That Won't Break My Bank

jd

• WKC Brave
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45:08 PM »
mrbill that is a great idea
22.5 Copper kettle
Blue Performer
Copper Performer

swamprb

• WKC Performer
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 05:39:34 PM »
what size vortex did you get?

I've tested my hillbilly vortex on the Performer and 18" OTG, with great results, so how about some setups on the 26'r?
I cook on: Backwoods Gater, Lang 36, Hunsaker Smokers, Pellet Pro 22" WSM, BGE's, WSM's, Cajun Bandits, PK Grills, Drum Smokers, Genesis Silver C, Weber Q's, Cookshack 008, Little Chief, La Caja China #2, Lodge Sportsman...oh yeah! Weber Kettles! Kamado restoration and pit modification hack!

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »

cuz a Troy wing party don't stawp!

just had a thought you may try. how about a test to see how long and hot it'll burn minion style(ie-almost fill cone w/unlit coals, then toss a few lit on top). see how hot it'll get, how long it takes to get there and how long it stays there.

Sounds like a good idea. I can do that. I can compare head to head with coal ring too.