Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Wanna help a NOOB choose his combo?  (Read 5930 times)

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
Re: Wanna help a NOOB choose his combo?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 09:31:58 PM »
well I'm thinking something very similar to this one:

http://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q612/BAWSHAWG/table3.jpg
(not exactly sure if this will post the picture or not.  I'm not the best at this...)

I would probably make it a little longer, add a tile on bottom center shelf to rest hot chimney on, and design a hoop with struts to add/remove a second grill off the opposite side.  leaving a good sized center section for food prep.  Honestly, especially if I start with the 26", I'll spend the first 6 months or so getting used to kettle grilling and what would be best placed where.  Then I guess by that time I will have decided whether I'd need a second grill, 22" or another 26"! Haha!  All that would probably dictate the best table to build.  Of course who knows, I am about to build a driveway gate out of square tubing.  Maybe I'll build the table out of the scraps and use expanded metal for bottom shelf and a sheet of stainless for the table top.  Time will tell.....

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 09:37:23 PM »
Welp....laugh all ya want, but Dazzo may be right....the yard might look like this in a year....

Your 26" will fit a goodly square area of ribs (this is a 22)

....and a 17# brisket will sit in nicely (again, 22")

Just trying to give you some idea of scope & relative size......

Thank you for the references!!  If you don't mind me asking, with that 17# brisket, is that the snake method with a fire brick in the center?  I can't really tell which technique it is and just trying to absorb all I can....

Jammato

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 11:17:41 PM »
I use a 22 and a couple of SmokeyJoes, works out great that way, I normally am doing the main course in the 22 and can do the sides in one or 2 smaller grills set up different ways.

Like they said, asking the wrong crowd, we all seem to have several around and use them a lot of different ways
If we were meant to grill with gas then the garden of Eden would have had a pipeline

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2015, 01:54:40 AM »
Guys, thank you for the info.  I'm also pretty sure that this question has been asked more than once (even though I couldn't find it through a search), so I definitely appreciate not getting the typical forum responses regarding the search feature and it's lack of use. 

We'd much rather invite & involve people than leave them dangling & to their own devices..... 8)

22 / Smokeys......22 / 22......22/ 18........26 / 18......26 / 22...........new / used in good shape?

Some different questions to mull over..... ;D

All good perspectives.....maybe spend a little time imagining WHAT you might actually like to cook....in other words, go back upstream just a bit, see how expansive your cooking capacity MIGHT need to be & that may help clarify the decision making process a bit.....

I showed up here with all used, almost all free.....

& then was easily corrupted by these ever-so-helpful folks..... :o

& yes, the brisket was a chain /snake cook ( clockwise for beef).....about 1 & 1/2 times around, with a bean pan underneath part of the time, but first just a drip pan to render the trimmings for bean liquids.....

here's a little more on that cookup....

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/grilling-bbqing/ok-finally-brisket/

Using the charcoal grate, whatever size kettle, gets you some added cooking space....

"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

mcgolden

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2015, 05:06:57 AM »

First off, Welcome.

Secondly, Dude, you asked the wrong crowd about what kettles to get.

You thought about a 26, that means you need one.

A performer will work good for the small cooks. And then they follow you home. "But, it's a redhead SS!" "The C&B was too good of a deal to pass up".

Then, you find a near perfect Brave. And the next week you find a real perfect one with small tabs - and three months later your wife still hasn't seen them.

And when she does, "Oh, those? I got them a while ago, don't you remember?"

"Dad, tell my friend how many grills you have."

Weberitis, it's more than an adventure.

Holy crap! You just described my life to a tee.

WNC

• WKC Performer
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2015, 05:34:52 AM »
Hey there and welcome to the club!
Lots of good info here, I've got two 22 kettles that work for just about everything, but if you were thinking about the Kamado, maybe consider the Weber Smokey Mountain. I've got the 22 inch wsm and love it. For small smokes I use my kettle, but I think for large or long smokes the wsm is the way to go.
Which ever way you go I don't think you can go wrong, just be sure to post pics. Can't wait to see what you go with.

einrej

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2015, 05:44:57 AM »
I think you need a JJ & a Sj, more versatility and a WSM.  Gas?
Family, 1954-55 Weber Bros Metal Works Kettle,
1979 A-code Redhead 22, 1983 E-code Black 22, & a Rowley Miracle Fire Maker

addicted-to-smoke

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2015, 07:15:07 AM »
Finding used 26 kettles takes patience and usually, several months of time. I'm telling you, they are rare compared to the smaller ones. Before I read 1buckie's post I was also thinking 18.5" for your daily small cooks for a few people. For a family of 4 it's my go-to machine and I love how easy it is on fuel, space and manuverability. On the other hand if those cooks regularly feature full veggies or sides a 22.5" makes more sense. But for your reoccurring large crowds get that 26 and don't look back!

I also like keeping a smoker "in my back pocket." Can be used as a second grill, often, even if you rarely take the time to smoke. The WSMs are easier to find on Craigslist (especially the 18.5") than any 26.

You'll get at least 1 22.5" of some flavor, they're just too popular to ignore, and more 22.5" accessories are made (and by 3rd parties, too!) than for any other grill on the planet.
It's the iconic symbol for the backyard. It's family/friends, food and fun. What more do you need to feel everything [is] going to be all right. As long as we can still have a BBQ in our backyard, the world seems a bit of a better place. At least for that moment. -reillyranch

austin87

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2015, 07:22:37 AM »
I have a 22" and I should have a 26" by October or so (spatchcocked Thanksgiving turkey my goal) - I feed 4 with sides no problem. Feeding 6+ I sometimes need to do sides on the stove or oven  :'(  I'm still getting better at rotating everything to really maximize every inch of cooking surface on the 22". I might get an 18" as 1buckie said for sides/staging/hot holding before then.

That said I cooked 10lbs of chuck roast on one 22" kettle and it was enough for 20 people - sides were coleslaw and crockpot mac and cheese so I didn't need grill space for those - http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/bbq-cook-offs/psb-and-pulled-chuck-on-the-22-5'-kettle/

That's a great idea for a DIY cart, I am also looking to do the same and like that design better than any others I've seen.

I really wanted the 26" as my first grill but I'm glad I got the 22" for what I do most of the time, and think that the bigger 26" will be a total blast once I get it.

Ted B

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 07:29:57 AM »
Just get one of everything. You'll end up with them anyway hanging out here.

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2015, 07:47:10 AM »
All very good opinions!  I have made my decision as far as the combo being a 26"/22".  I know someone mentioned something about gas......it's just not for me.  I've never enjoyed using gas grills and definitely prefer eating food that's been cooked over coals vs gas.  And yes, I will be getting a JJ as well.  Mainly for when we go to the beach or the lake or the 4wheeling parks.  Just a secondary benefit that I can also use it as another overflow grill. I've decided to go ahead and start with the 26".  I've still got a few cheap grills that I saved from our recent house move including the 18" Old Smokey that's my go-to right now for burgers, chicken breasts, steaks, and what-have-you.  So I'll get the 26" for now and if I just need to grill for 2 I can use the Old Smokey.  That will give me the 26" I want to be able to basically grill/smoke whatever I want and I'll have to smaller grill to take care of the small quick cooks.  I'll probably just scoop up a Craigslist 22" down the road.  I really would like a vintage 22", but in the last few months I've been toying with these decisions and scouring Craigslist, I've never seen for sale that was older than a few years....Any pointers on scooping up a cool usable vintage grill?

Hofy

• WKC Brave
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2015, 07:49:41 AM »
While your mileage may vary, I have found that the 22 1/2" is darn near perfect.  Whether I need more room, different cooking temps, etc., I just fire up a second or 3rd or 4th grill.  The nice thing about them all being the same size is that almost everything is interchangeable.   
EE Kettle, 1974 JBK-360 Key Lime "The Fairway" , DR Genesis Gold

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2015, 07:53:33 AM »
First, put in WHERE you're from under the name here.....that's so people here can alert you if something happens near you & just keep checking.....there's some real go-getters as far as finding things on sale postings.....they'll chime in with pointers.....

A few things I've got & have seen other's get great finds on have come also from estate sales.....
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

docchiro

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2015, 08:18:55 AM »
Oops! Got that fixed.  I guess it totally slipped my mind after my post in the "Introduce Yourself" forum...

While your mileage may vary, I have found that the 22 1/2" is darn near perfect.  Whether I need more room, different cooking temps, etc., I just fire up a second or 3rd or 4th grill.  The nice thing about them all being the same size is that almost everything is interchangeable.

Good point. I like having things interchangeable.  Haha, I keep going back and forth!

jcnaz

• WKC Performer
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2015, 09:12:41 AM »
Guys, thank you for the info.... I definitely appreciate not getting the typical forum responses regarding the search feature and it's lack of use.  .......

THis is definitely NOT the typical forum!  ;D In fact, I really don't remember ever seeing any "search nazi" comments here. We are a fun group but we have a hard time staying on topic sometimes and that can make searching for something kind of tough.
Hell, sometimes I have trouble finding threads that I started! My ADHD is only kept in check by my OCD...or is it the other way around?  ;)
A bunch of black kettles
-JC