Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: On line finds etiquette  (Read 4358 times)

JDD

• WKC Ranger
On line finds etiquette
« on: October 03, 2014, 11:41:58 AM »
What is the etiquette regarding dibs for online finds?  In other words, if one member posts a listing does another member call dibs on that find or is it a free for all? Fist come first serve?
May The Smoke Be With You!

Troy

• Statesman
Re: On line finds etiquette
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2014, 12:10:40 PM »
Dibs is a nice concept, and there are many members with great hearts that will gladly honor your dibs, but it's simply not a reality.

If you have interest in something, you shouldn't post it until you have it in your possession.

Bob BQ

• WKC Performer
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2014, 12:15:31 PM »
It's the wild west....
BBQ:it's what's for dinner. Grail: 18” Custom - "The Californian"

indy82z

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2014, 12:16:45 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, just tell you what I do. If someone posts something online and people are stating that they are going to call or go get it, I don't respond to the ad even if I am interested. Its simple to me, its only a grill. I have several of them and not getting one more is not going to end my world. Now if someone posts something about one and no one states that they are interested in picking it up before I see the post, I might make my intentions known in the post, but it certainly isn't anything to get bent out of shape over if someone happens to nab it before I can. Sometimes deals work and sometimes they don't. There always is another one come along.  My suggestion is if you see something you want, grab it and then post about it.

Everyone I have ever met or dealt with on this board seems to be a great person and always willing to help out another board member. In fact, its one of the main reasons I frequent this board as much as I do.

I am sure that does not answer your question to the extent you were looking for but hopefully it will give you an idea.

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2014, 12:56:58 PM »
I can't speak for everyone, just tell you what I do. If someone posts something online and people are stating that they are going to call or go get it, I don't respond to the ad even if I am interested. Its simple to me, its only a grill. I have several of them and not getting one more is not going to end my world. Now if someone posts something about one and no one states that they are interested in picking it up before I see the post, I might make my intentions known in the post, but it certainly isn't anything to get bent out of shape over if someone happens to nab it before I can. Sometimes deals work and sometimes they don't. There always is another one come along.  My suggestion is if you see something you want, grab it and then post about it.

Everyone I have ever met or dealt with on this board seems to be a great person and always willing to help out another board member. In fact, its one of the main reasons I frequent this board as much as I do.

I am sure that does not answer your question to the extent you were looking for but hopefully it will give you an idea.

Well said, Sir!

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2014, 01:01:32 PM »
check craigslist before you check the online section.  no i'm kidding always check the online section if possible. 

chicago craigslist is active though so always jump fast.  i don't go south or to the city anymore, it eats up way too much time/gas.   
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 01:09:19 PM by GregS »
I only use kettles with lid bales.

GregS

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 01:09:55 PM »
i edit'd a lot out of that as to not speak for anyone but myself.  ;)
I only use kettles with lid bales.

Chuck

• WKC Brave
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 02:30:24 PM »
I feel that if its posted, its fair game as the information has been shared.

However, I think if there's a question being asked to clarify something about the offer, it should be considered the OP's 'dibs' but there's no way to enforce that. Personally, if i have a question about an ad I'm interested in, I would ask without a link to said ad.
This is a fairly cheap hobby when you consider the time  with family and friends and how many meals are created.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2014, 02:36:31 PM »
Posting here is like throwing a piece of meat into a tiger cage.  If I want it, I grab it then post - like the red OTS that was listed for $10 - its in my backyard now 8)
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)

landgraftj

• WKC Performer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2014, 02:38:34 PM »
A few of the Chicago guys don't bother posting from CL. We know about them as soon as they are posted and if we don't want them its up to other members to post them or let us know if they want them. I'm all for helping members (and have helped out many) but I'm not doing all the work for others either. Searching for grills is part of the fun.
Not everyone deserves to know the real you. Let them criticize who they think you are.

1buckie

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 02:49:55 PM »
Same basic conversation....previously & some good aspects were addressed.........

http://weberkettleclub.com/forums/trading-post/kettle-collecting-etiquette-**-please-read-**/
"If you want it fancy there is BBQ spray paint at home depot for that. "
    Covered, damper-controlled cooking.....IF YOU PLEASE !!!
           "But the ever versatile kettle reigned supreme"    

Mmmmm

• WKC Brave
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2014, 06:29:16 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly, with one exception: I call dibs on every Weber item of interest in the Twin Falls, ID Craigslist from now until far into the distant future. I've watched faithfully, daily, ever since a contracted Weberitis several years ago, with next to zero luck. If an awesome kettle ever comes up locally and it gets snatched out from under me I'm gonna find whoever got it and come STEAL ALL YOUR CANDY!!!

Lol, just kidding, all. Hope you were in the mood for a lighthearted moment! It would be cool to find something nice that was closer than 2 hours away though. Maybe someday.

:P
"What this world needs is more humble geniuses. There are so few of us left."

JDD

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2014, 08:33:40 AM »
Thanks for your input guys. I personally would not post a CL add that I'm interested in or at all for that matter. The reason I brought this up is because a few days ago I spotted an estate add with a grey kettle performer that I was very interested in.  A day later another member posts the add in the Online Finds forum and I was kind of disappointed. Another member showed some interest but really did not say for sure. I just did not want to get into a war over it or step on any toes. In any event, I went to the estate sale to check it out thinking worse case scenario I meet a fellow WKC member. I did end up getting the Grey Performer with only 1 other non WKC'er slightly interested.
May The Smoke Be With You!

mike.stavlund

• WKC Performer
    • MikeStavlund.com
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2014, 09:47:31 AM »
If someone posted a grill that I already had seen and set my sights on, I might kindly inform them, but like you I wouldn't necessarily expect them to step down (though I think you'll find that most WKCers are uncommonly accommodating and will give you some room, if not help you out).  Best bet is to do as you did and make your best play for the item in question.  Glad you scored the Grey SS!  Congrats. 
One of the charcoal people.

Red Kettle Rich

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2014, 09:02:25 AM »
Only after this guy was in my car did I mention it here - then I got lots of good advice, including a threat to steal it from me after I finished modding it - which includes putting in a Sam Adams Cast Iron Grate (thanks O'Glenn) 8)
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 09:05:44 AM by Red Kettle Rich »
Looking for a RED 26" Kettle & a tabbed no leg RED 22" Kettle near STL. Copper Sam Adams SJ anywhere 8)