Welcome, Guest

Shop Amazon.com and support the WKC | WKC T-Shirts

Author Topic: Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment  (Read 8013 times)

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment
« on: August 20, 2014, 07:45:20 PM »
I went to Bunnings yesterday to grab a Looflighter(West Gosford,Tuggerah & Lakehaven are out of stock) and on the way out I noticed these-

I couldn't believe it at first as I've been after one for ages but because of the price I haven't bothered buying one
But the price on these is great-

There is not a lot of info on the box or any instructions . It just says suits kettle style bbq's
It looked about the right size  for a Weber so I took a chance and bought one.
I got home and tried it for size.....Dam!!!! It didn't fit

It didn't matter how I tried it was too small by about 7mm
Maybe it was just the one I bought so I headed back to Bunnings, kettle bowl in tow and proceeded to try ever ring on the kettle bowl (there was about 20 on a pallet). None of them fit!!!! So I decided to try the ring on the other kettles they had on display. European chef didn't fit, Wiltshire didn't fit, Jumbuck fit but it was too big so there was a 5-10mm gap around the rim. So I'm thinking which kettle BBQ was it designed for??? Spoke to lady at the front desk and after my 5min spiel her eyes were glazed over and it was obvious she had no answers and didn't care. I took my refund and left
Got home and thought I would contact the company to see what they had to say.
I shot off an email , messaged them on Facebook and then decided to ring. I spoke to a manager who explained that bunnings had told them to design it for the Jumbuck because it was their best seller. I told him how it didn't fit and if they designed it for a Weber Kettle they would sell like hot cakes. He replied with -but jumbuck is their best seller to which I replied the jumbucks are a POS BBQ  and anyone who spends under $50 on a BBQ ain't gonna spend $50 on a pizza attachment( apologies to anyone with a Jumbuck)
He ended up telling me to get a refund
So to anyone looking at getting one 'Don't Bother' they don't fit which is a shame because the design is pretty good and they look great. 
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator
                        Viva La  Charcoal Revolution

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
Re: Pizzeria by Smash Kettle Pizza attachment
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 08:03:37 PM »
Great R & D  ...or lack thereof!
If it breathes, we can cook it!

JayCee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 08:21:52 PM »
That's what happens when you do minimal R&D then think you know everything. You then become impervious to any other information.

Does it look like it can be modified in any way to fit? Still may be worth it if the modifications are minimal.

JayCee

• WKC Brave
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 08:25:34 PM »
I spoke to a manager who explained that bunnings had told them to design it for the Jumbuck because it was their best seller. I told him how it didn't fit and if they designed it for a Weber Kettle they would sell like hot cakes. He replied with -but jumbuck is their best seller.

Just wondering have they not heard of Masters?

pbe gummi bear

• WKC Mod
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
Man, I got really excited at the prospect of a cheaper pizza kettle alternative. Sorry for your troubles. :(
"Have you hugged your Weber today?"
Check out WKC on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Weber-Kettle-Club/521728011229791

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »
You really took a bowl there and opened 20 packages and tried them all?

You sir, are my hero

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 02:47:51 AM »
Hell yeah Troy!!!
As soon as I saw them I sent a couple of pics to JoCool and JayCee as we've talked about getting some made before and then to get home and find it didn't fit.... I was gutted!!!
It was funny, not one staff member came and asked if I needed a hand and I saw two of them hiding down an aisle watching me and giggling. I must of looked like a mad man going through all the boxes
I'm only 2 or 3 kettles away from being that creepy guy down the street with all the Webers
                            WKC Collaborator

Peaspurple

• WKC Ranger
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 03:07:10 AM »
I hate that it didn't fit. That was definitely a good deal, but maybe that's why they were so cheap!
A Wonderful Family!!!

zavod44

• WKC Ambassador
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 03:16:23 AM »
What if you put a slit half way up the side, can you get it to compress and fit into the bowl?   Oh and what the fuck is a jumbuck?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
Vintage Weber Grill raconteur and bon vivant.....and definitely Sir Agent X

Jocool

• WKC Ranger
    • Sydneyangler Inc.
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 03:22:26 AM »
It's a sheep!
If it breathes, we can cook it!

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 04:11:00 AM »
And a crap kettle
                            WKC Collaborator

mhiszem

• WKC Performer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 05:15:38 AM »
On a side note, Hogsy what do you think of the looftlighter? I have heard lots of good things about them. Alton Brown, from the food network, loves his. They are only about $70 on amazon here. Thinking about getting one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
WGA, Uline Green SJ, '95 Red M/T, '88 Red 18", '01 Plum SSP, Patent Pending Yellow

Hogsy

• WKC Performer
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 12:12:50 PM »
On a side note, Hogsy what do you think of the looftlighter? I have heard lots of good things about them. Alton Brown, from the food network, loves his. They are only about $70 on amazon here. Thinking about getting one soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes I've heard good things about them too
They retail for $40 over here and are marked down to $15 at the moment
I just need to find a hardware store with stock
                            WKC Collaborator

Troy

• Statesman
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 12:16:32 PM »
i bought one several years ago.
it died within the first few months.
i wasn't impressed. a regular heavy duty heat gun will work just as well.

jeffinsgf

• Smokey Joe
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »
I had the same experience as Troy. Paid full price to Hammacher Schlemmer and the darn thing lasted about 6 weeks. No warranty and no serviceable parts. I'll stick to a torch.